Thread: Altec 19 woofer upgrade

Roy Boltz

Question Altec 19 woofer upgrade

I have read in past threads that some have used a JBL 15" woofer in place of the Altec 416-8B with good results. I'm curious as to which model JBL & if they bi-amped or used the stock model 19 crossover,& what were the improvements in sound?

I've seen, IIRC, someone use a E145 in place of an A7 VOTT woofer, it seemed to work pretty well. Of course, the E145 is very close to identical, in many respects, to the design of the original Altec driver ...

I'd think that might translate to the Model 19 pretty well...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Roy Boltz
    Hi Gordon; I have seen the 2220 used in place of the 416 in the A7 horn cabinet but I'm sure that the woofer used in the model 19 upgrade had a foam surround as opposed to the accordian surround of the 416,I recall that the person that tried this before stated that it increased low bass.I was hoping that I could get the model no. of that JBL woofer.

My guess would be the 2234, unless it was biamped. If it were biamped, you could use the lower-sensitivity 2235 with the mass ring, but really, the 2234 would sound much better in the mids, with the lower moving mass, biamped or not.

The 2234 was used in the 4435 monitor, with a horn with a similar low-end cutoff to the Altec 811. Should work, AFAIK...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Roy Boltz
    Thanks Gordon .

hifiguy9

Altec 19 woofer upgrade reply

Roy, I have the Altec A7 home version called The Magnificent and recently replaced the 416z woofers with JBL D-130's and I heard a remarkable improvement even though some people may think it's a bad idea.

Roy Boltz
    Thanks Hifi; I've heard that the D 130 is very efficient & in a horn loaded cab would kick ass, a friend said that a 2235 would be a good choice in regard to a model 19 woofer replacement. I'd like to hear from someone who has tried this.

Thread Information