Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AQUAPLAS

If I had a dog

It would be Ruff and Gruff, no as I said I,m just curious I never have seen a coated diaphragm. This is Scotland after all. I bet you dont know what a puddock is...but you will have seen one

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    It would be Ruff and Gruff, no as I said I,m just curious I never have seen a coated diaphragm. This is Scotland after all. I bet you dont know what a puddock is...but you will have seen one
    Puddock is a Scots word for frog, which in turn has a special meaning for knitters
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

well done google

Well from the information gleaned I am going to purchase some cans of that party squirty string stuff and give it a try. At least it peels off

You can get a sample directly from Blanchard. I have one already and the DL-10 I have has a consistancy of spackle and has a decent amount of course material in the paste binder. That is the only material they will provide as a sample. The DL-30 which I think is the correct stuff is simply not available that way. The DL-10 may be useable but would need to be preasure strained to remove the course stuff and thinned a bit to help for brushing. I have some sample diaphrams Guido sent over in a trade we did to try out. Have not had the chance, don't have a spare driver core laying around to test them out.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    You can get a sample directly from Blanchard. I have one already and the DL-10 I have has a consistancy of spackle and has a decent amount of course material in the paste binder. That is the only material they will provide as a sample. The DL-30 which I think is the correct stuff is simply not available that way. The DL-10 may be useable but would need to be preasure strained to remove the course stuff and thinned a bit to help for brushing. I have some sample diaphrams Guido sent over in a trade we did to try out. Have not had the chance, don't have a spare driver core laying around to test them out.

Rob
    Not DL-10Y?

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    ... I,m just curious I never have seen a coated diaphragm.
    D8R2450SL (aquaplas coated diaphragm) from recent ebay auction. -grumpy

Attached Images Attached Images   

AAAAAHHHH

So. Its not the stringy stuff after all and its not pink.
    Seriously then it is light in weight obviously and presumably sprayed on with a mask and perhaps heat cured ? The T shirt link made sense an ex of mine used to print an expanding ink in her business.
    Thanks for the pics. I can see it clearly now said the blind man.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH

"I can see it clearly now said the blind man."

As he picked up his hammer and saw.

The coating on the diaphrams and cones may share the same lineage and intention, they differ a lot in execution and material.

When Meyer used the 2441 aluminum diaphrams in their ferrofluidized 2450's they added a thick layer of a super flexible clear silicone to the "diamond surround" area of the dia. I guess this combo worked well for them and when I sold some of these the japanese market gobbled them up..

Someday when the new "holycrap" 4" coil Be diaphrams become commonplace the chatter will reflect on the absuridity of tweaking the older stuff...until then it's massage,massage + fondle...and enjoy while waiting...

sub

Finally got up off my butt and tried some of the sample material on a blown diaphram. The material sample they send is the beige colored material, the black is special order and not available. You can get a tube of black pigment at Home Depot or any paint store and use this to color the sample. So I quess the answer is it is available in blue if you want. Once you add the pigment and a little water, to thin it it, becomes very easy to brush. It passes the looks OK test and sticks real well but I have to try the aftermarket diaphrams to see if this is actually trashing the diaphrams of not. I still do not know if the DL-10 is the "right stuff".

Rob

Looks like it goes on neater than I expected.

The blue is a good idea.

Let that be the trademark of LHF DIY Aquaplazz.

[Particularly into BLUE here.... ]

Nice Work Rob !

I hope that eventually you'll illustrate what's achievable in the reduction of distortion products, by doing CLIO studies of a "before and after" coating .

Magic

10 ml pots for everyone, looks good Rob not messy at all.

Thanks Rob!

Keep us informed how it goes with the AM dias.

aquaplas is

a sound dampening elastic applied to submarines.

well according to the wikipedia anyway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Alb...%28AGSS-569%29

Well here's the first crack using a beat-up 035ti I had laying around. Pre and post looks very close. There is some loss of level. Looking at the distortion levels they look lower but this is really subjective. Tried some FFT measurements and it looked like the odds and the upper harmonics is where the changes are. I have to go over it again. Here's some plots you can look at to see what you think. The Red and Blue are without. The Green and Orange are with. The first plot is THD, second in 2nd and Third is 3rd. These and the FFT measurements were all made without changing or breaking down the set-up. The level change is a real drop not an instrumentation glitch. The tweeter was mounted in an L100T cabinet and the driver was coated in the cabinet it was not removed from the cabinet or moved during the test.

Rob

Thread Information