View Poll Results: What 70's Audio Gear is your Favorite?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kenwood

1 5.88%
  • Luxman

0 0%
  • Marantz

3 17.65%
  • McIntosh

5 29.41%
  • Phase Linear

3 17.65%
  • Pioneer

3 17.65%
  • Rotel

0 0%
  • Sansui

0 0%
  • Sherwood

1 5.88%
  • Yamaha

1 5.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite 70's Rec./Amp/Int./Tuner/Pre

The problem in voting in this type of poll for a brand name is that quality is not equal across all the products of a brand

ie: Sony's ES elite line is quite good , their consumer China products are crap.

JBL USA is fine....JBL China , Mexico etc...?

Marantz was fine..until Superscope diluted the name

LUX was nice until Alpine gutted it.

Old Pioneer speakers were well build , the ones from 1982 on up are generally crap

Altec was ..... and now it is Korean Spark-o-matic.

To rate a brand , you need to know the sub product line , year of production ...etc.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    I have a Flame Linear 200 Series II that I adore.... all jokes aside...

but the crown DC series amps and some mid 80s Crest Audios are what are in my rack currently...

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    ...some mid 80s Crest Audios are what are in my rack currently...
    I've got a bunch of Crest amps. My favorites are the CA series. 'Have a CA-9 and just purchased a CA-4, with about 5 or 6 other misc. Crest here.

John

Does it look like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The problem in voting in this type of poll for a brand name is that quality is not equal across all the products of a brand

ie: Sony's ES elite line is quite good , their consumer China products are crap.

JBL USA is fine....JBL China , Mexico etc...?

Marantz was fine..until Superscope diluted the name

LUX was nice until Alpine gutted it.

Old Pioneer speakers were well build , the ones from 1982 on up are generally crap

Altec was ..... and now it is Korean Spark-o-matic.

To rate a brand , you need to know the sub product line , year of production ...etc.
    I thought you promised not to follow me around and mock every post??
    But you are right, this poll is not only moronic and pointless, but it is a complete waste of space and a complete waste of time for everyone who has took the time to consider it.. . For that I am sorry. MODERATORS<< please use your discretion and remove this poll if necessary..

I thought I was specific enough in the general criteria.. And this was meant to be a "in general" poll. Not anything too specific. I never said BEST of all time, just in the 70's and I apologize to no end for not including some of the companies that I probably should have, but there was only room for 10. And I do not have any right to narrow such a list down to the 10 which I condsidered to be the most recognizable and popular. From what you all have told me, not only am I completely wrong as to the companies I posted on this poll, but I have no right to even listen to any of this stuff being someone who wasn't around when it was popular as it only has value as collectibles and for nostalgia puposes not for real home use anymore and I KNOW that I am wasting my time. But I will say in my defense that I enjoy and appreciate some of the older gear more than the new stuff thats out there.

I did say to only consider tuners/preamps/int. amps/amps.. but I guess this doesn't make it any better or any easier and its still no excuse for such a meaningless and wasteful poll..

In my defense, as I said earlier, this is hardly a definitive list. And I think the general concensus is that in the early 1980's the build quality of the gear from all these companies, for the most part, with the exception of McIntosh, went to crap. Most companies did something well, like Sansui/Rotel with their tuners, or Phase Linear with their preamps.. But to make a poll like this would be nearly impossible as there are indeed too many variables and too many specifics in order to have something truly objective. But since when is a poll 100% without error? Even Florida couldn't figure out how to vote for the president.

I was intending this poll to be a general poll to spark interest and discussion, not to become a WAR on whats the best stuff out there. Most of these companies are long gone and forgotten in the hi-end audio world and thought it would be nice to talk about them.. Seems as if I have been wasting my time fooling around with this old gear that I have no right to be interested in as I wasn't even alive when this stuff was built and have no right to comment on any of it or to take up useless space just for my own curiosity... Again, I am sorry... There's nothing more I can say that will make it any better... And again, moderators, do what you have to. It would probably be best to remove this poll...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    I thought you promised not to follow me around and mock every post??
    But you are right, this poll is not only moronic and pointless, but it is a complete waste of space and a complete waste of time for everyone who has took the time to consider it.. . For that I am sorry.

...moderators, do what you have to. It would probably be best to remove this poll...
    OK

I tried to warn you...
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    You must make (the poll) useful, and interesting...
    :dont-know
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information