Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube (and others...) Music Vids - Referrals

A Fine Frenzy, Sia, was not aware of them, thank you. John Scoffield, Larry Carlton, John Patitucci, most enjoyable!
    Whole heartedly agree with 4313B, it is very hard to stop once started.
    Just Play Music.

Not sure if this thread is the best place for this, but I just had to post it somewhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg#

What a fine modern spiritual it is, Steve. The performance is so inspiring I have emailed the link to everyone I know who watched LW with their parents or grandparents.

Thank you so much, Steve, that is the funniest piece of irony I have ever been exposed to.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Glad you enjoyed it, Clark. When I discovered it I was convulsed with laughter as I watched it about six times straight. I especially like the accordion-wielding announcer who was choking like he had just toked up offstage.

The clip was posted by Tom Shipley, co-writer of the song.

Heres my chance to give something back to this community

But hey, if you wana send me money
    Adamimadam
    YouTube - Barbra Streisand & Burt Bacharach - Close to you (1971)

And this is for fun.YouTube - JORMA KAUKONEN - Hesitation Blues
    AKA
    Hot Tuna

one toke over the line sweet Jesus one toke over the line
    "My wife said it was ok"

"My wife said it was ok"

Following links from Hot Tuna, found this gem. Rev. Gary Davis was probably the most original fingerstylist who ever lived. A genius. I thank Steffan Grossman for turning me on to him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_90D1RzApts&feature=related

The host is of course Pete Seeger.

If you like blues and are after the real thing, try this.http://youtube.com/watch?v=8jN5vqEyV7g&feature=related

Son House by then was as close to Robert Johnson as we still had.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it, Clark. When I discovered it I was convulsed with laughter as I watched it about six times straight. I especially like the accordion-wielding announcer who was choking like he had just toked up offstage.

The clip was posted by Tom Shipley, co-writer of the song.
    I had the same reaction. The introduction was by Myron Floren, and I think he was rattled because he was in on the joke and couldn't keep a straight face. Just my theory. I didn't remember that Brewer & Shipley did the tune. I don't claim to remember much of the Seventies.

Clark

WOW, Im no true blues fan but

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Following links from Hot Tuna, found this gem. Rev. Gary Davis was probably the most original fingerstylist who ever lived. A genius. I thank Steffan Grossman for turning me on to him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_90D1RzApts&feature=related

The host is of course Pete Seeger.

If you like blues and are after the real thing, try this.http://youtube.com/watch?v=8jN5vqEyV7g&feature=related

Son House by then was as close to Robert Johnson as we still had.

Clark

wow,,, I mean wow. Just loved em.
    If I said anything else about those videos it would be trivial.
    Thanks for the starting line.
    "My wife said it was ok"

Powerfull Stuff, the Blues

There do seem to be a lot of great Blues selections on YouTube. Listening to music all my life, the Blues resonates most powerfully of all for me. The more I can hear the blues in another kind of music, the more deeply it affects me. The less I can hear it, the more trivial it seems.

Jazz can be really close. Ellington, Coltrane, up tight. Basie derived music, not close at all. For instance, the music behind Sanatra in Vegas was the low point to my ears. Bands behind jazz singers in the Fifties and Sixties were awful. Just tripe as far as the continuum of jazz history goes.

Some Rock nails it. Straight pop music strays too far for me to even feel it. British music hall derived tunes are like show tunes and comedy songs - nothing from the Blues at all.

Indian (esp. tabla) and of course African and Afro-Cuban music are birds of a feather to me. Anything with good use of dissonances has a family resemblance, so I like Schoenberg piano compositions and Bulgarian vocal music a lot.

The real thing, like the two links I posted, are the best of all. Powerful stuff, the Blues. Bury me with a copy of Robert Johnson's Come On In My Kitchen. And some Howlin' Wolf. And Rev. Gary Davis. And...

Like John Lennon said, "The Blues is a chair."

Clark

Cool Yup! you nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    There do seem to be a lot of great Blues selections on YouTube. Listening to music all my life, the Blues resonates most powerfully of all for me. The more I can hear the blues in another kind of music, the more deeply it affects me. The less I can hear it, the more trivial it seems.

Jazz can be really close. Ellington, Coltrane, up tight. Basie derived music, not close at all. For instance, the music behind Sanatra in Vegas was the low point to my ears. Bands behind jazz singers in the Fifties and Sixties were awful. Just tripe as far as the continuum of jazz history goes.

Some Rock nails it. Straight pop music strays too far for me to even feel it. British music hall derived tunes are like show tunes and comedy songs - nothing from the Blues at all.

Indian (esp. tabla) and of course African and Afro-Cuban music are birds of a feather to me. Anything with good use of dissonances has a family resemblance, so I like Schoenberg piano compositions and Bulgarian vocal music a lot.

The real thing, like the two links I posted, are the best of all. Powerful stuff, the Blues. Bury me with a copy of Robert Johnson's Come On In My Kitchen. And some Howlin' Wolf. And Rev. Gary Davis. And...

Like John Lennon said, "The Blues is a chair."

Clark
    Well said!
    I dug that Indian music on that Tribute To George Harrison dvd.
    I dig American Indian music.
    I like any hit song.

But man the Rev. Gary kinda stuff is pure.

Unfortunately like most people I only have time and energy to stand or lay down.
    Cant buy me love.

But when I retire???
    And cant walk
    And no longer need to tend to 1000 things.
    Im gona drive my wife crazy with that kinda stuff.
    If I filled the house with it nowadays she'd put me in this dog house.

SHE SAID IT WAS A DOG HOUSEeeeeeeeeeeeee
    "My wife said it was ok"

Dunno if I've mentioned this at some point, but watching Adrian Legg can make my head spin sometimes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpeQ...eature=related

je

P.S. Jerry Donahue, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srcJZTE_Fjg

Tribute To Michael Brecker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGDa2Bf9Pj0

This is related to my post in What's Playing Now http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...postcount=1133

In that post I lamented my ignorance of a great artist who lived, played and passed away unnoticed by me, despite my chronology overlapping his completely. I'm going on record as saying Michael Brecker was the most important musician since John Coltrane. He was apparently also one of the nicest men on earth. Unlike talented yet egomanical musicians like Miles, he was modest, even self-effacing. And I now realize his musical accomplishments were great indeed, not like "he plays great" but rather "greatness." In a time in history like this where the major figures in the news, entertainment, sports and politics are anything but role models and haven't actually done anything special, he stands a true hero. I honestly wish I could have died so he could have lived. Many musicians and listeners speak of this man in worshipful tones I have not encountered before in the world of music.

This video contains portions of interviews that deal with jazz played at very advanced levels versus audiences, music's and spirituality's coincident worlds, musical growth and learning in a musician's life, and other fine things. There is a reference in it to where further interview video is available.

There are 28 videos on YouTube of Michael Brecker, and a lot more out there. I encourage anyone interested in these matters to explore what this man has to offer us in these difficult times we are facing. Most of all from his music. You might like the music behind this tribute video. It is gentler than most of what he played. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdc7S_Ecevw

I have discovered some great concert DVD's. Amazon has some. I'll get some recommendations together if anyone is interested. He even played great jazz fusion in his Steps Ahead band.

Clark in Peoria

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Dunno if I've mentioned this at some point, but watching Adrian Legg can make my head spin sometimes:
    Back when I putzed around with guitar I was awed by Roy Buchanan at a gig doing pedal steel bends with his hands. Being a mere mortal, I instead fell upon a new but fire sale priced Bigsby Palm Pedal. I applied it to a 3/4 Gibson Melody maker I have and had at it. (When I acquired the guitar it had been scraped to plain ugly by the previous owner. I refinished it with a hand rub of Tung oil varnish, made a custom black pick guard, mounted a Fat Strat and the Palm Pedal. Trust me, I did it no harm.) While it goes maybe 20 percent to what Mr Legg does, it is very, very cool. Has anyone else here ever messed around with one?
    http://bigsbypalmpedal.com/

Clark in Peoria

More Blues Please !

Hi Clark,

I just got a copy of Muddy Waters " The Folk Singer " I have always been curious about the blues. Living in England I don't get much exposure to it .

If you have time, perhaps you and the others could take me on a journey.

Rich

Thread Information