Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube (and others...) Music Vids - Referrals

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    its just too perfect
    I don't see that as a problem for recorded media. I personally want every note sung or played to be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I don't see that as a problem for recorded media. I personally want every note sung or played to be perfect.
    I personally want every note sung and played to be honest. "Fixing" mistakes in intonation destroys the emotional communication between the artist and listener. If the artist is honestly singing/playing perfectly in pitch and is communicating at the same time, great. If their performance wasn't pitch-perfect, I want to experience what they were actually doing. I can listen past intonation errors if there's real emotional communication happening in the recording.

Nathan Milstein never recorded a version of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto that didn't have intonation issues, yet his performances always felt full of passion and always managed to bring me everything that Tchaikovsky put into the piece. On the other hand, Jascha Heifetz recorded versions that were note-perfect, yet always struck me as emotionally sterile. I'll take the Milsteins every time.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    I personally want every note sung and played to be honest. "Fixing" mistakes in intonation destroys the emotional communication between the artist and listener. If the artist is honestly singing/playing perfectly in pitch and is communicating at the same time, great. If their performance wasn't pitch-perfect, I want to experience what they were actually doing. I can listen past intonation errors if there's real emotional communication happening in the recording.

Nathan Milstein never recorded a version of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto that didn't have intonation issues, yet his performances always felt full of passion and always managed to bring me everything that Tchaikovsky put into the piece. On the other hand, Jascha Heifetz recorded versions that were note-perfect, yet always struck me as emotionally sterile. I'll take the Milsteins every time.
    I feel the same way. If an artist is sincere and attempting to create Honest Music (Honest Music here being about the music being attempted, not the performance of it), they are robbing themselves and their audience by using this sort of manipulation. In more than one field, and that includes racing anything as well as more obviously creative pursuits, it has been often noted that the performer's limitations in total are their style. Strip away the limitations and the performer's unique contribution is gone as well.

A performer who AutoTunes to sound more commercial is just looking for money and has a disregard for both talent and honesty, and the audience as well. A further result is the music being synthetic. At some point the only creative contribution becomes which songs are chosen to perform. If you want to plug yourself into a processor as if you are a keyboard, your direct contribution is filtered and becomes less you and more the machine than if you hadn't. It is way beyond trying to sound like yourself but perfect. That is not the way biological organisms work, and you can't have it both ways.

I can relate to the Milstein-Heifetz situation. The Jazz bassist Ron Carter has the most accurate intonation I have ever heard on that instrument. He is great, but I sometimes yearn for an Eddie Gomez, who hardly ever lands right on the note. And singers, I would rather hear Vic Chesnutt than the sterile Whitney Houston anytime.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Obsolete
    I'm just glad there are bands like the Eagles, Rush, Pink Floyd or Steely Dan who seem to strive for perfection in their recordings.

I also like the video Home Free put together in the post above. I couldn't give a flying **** if they auto tuned the unholy &&&& out of it. It sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    I personally want every note sung and played to be honest.
    Have them practice more before laying down any tracks...

Here's one that seems pretty honest but some of the comments are pretty harsh. I think this is the only time she ever sang lead. She is pretty funny leading into their cover of Rock With You.

If there is such a thing as a typical cello, drums and synth outfit, this is not it.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/45923...?autoplay=true

Obsolete
    That was interesting

The Wild Reeds

Another Tiny Desk Concert. This outfit won a contest to be on it. I can remember when the pre AutoTune Taylor Swift was struggling to carry a tune in a bucket. I have long forgotten the point of such popular music because musicians like these exist.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/45624...?autoplay=true

I'll risk one more. Her name is Aurora

An actual innocent. Norway has such an awesome music scene, and look what it has sent us now. A strong counter to the polished mediocracy on the media here. Could you imagine our corporate money machine promoting this? At least the indies let us hear Angel Olsen, the only America musician even more natively brave and laid bare for all to hear that I am aware of.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/45532...?autoplay=true

Obsolete
    Centerville Ohio High School

This is one of the reasons why we vote for school levies.

Obsolete
    With Kirstie from Pentatonix

The end of an era indeed ... David Bowie dies of cancer at age 69 -
    2 days after his birthday and the release of his new album Blackstar ...
    RIP David Jones!

His final video - Lazarus

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

ECM album promo

Tord Gustavsen, from a concert appearance.

https://www.facebook.com/ecmrecords/...3895826656182/

Since everyone is probably tired of my off kilter taste...

..here is some Metallica! A dual solo performance video. Camille & Kennerly, the harp's revenge on Lindsey Sterling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhOhGhq0e54

Obsolete
    Nice!

Natascha Nikeprelevic

This overtone singer (I don't know if there is any difference in technique between this art and the Tuvan and Tibetan throat singers, other than style) leaves me with a very good set of feelings.

Singers who use AutoTune instead of developing the vocal accuracy they want do seem rather lazy after hearing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1T3QArgcLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKbaKN9Hu_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=903UrJMkwcE

Thread Information