Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL L100 - L100 Century

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Alas, L100s are not amenable to critical listening.

Any sonic distinction among the variants is forever relegated to the realm of theoretical esoterica.

[Only CLIO knows.... ]

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...047&#post12047
    And yet they are ever amenable to critical commentary.

Nightbrace
    Its nothing thats too critical. just curiosity I guess. I don't want to know if one will be "better", just if there is a difference in sound between the 2, thats all, it may help this person make a better choice as to which speaker to pick... And I'm curious to know as well.

A little reality check

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE View Post
    It is a nice name. I wonder how they sound?

Anyone?...........Anyone?

Original L100 Century in vertical alignment: Best L100 Ever.* In fact, they are the only JBL speakers from the so-called Golden Era (ended mid-70s I guess) that still have iconic status in popular culture today. They continue to hold legendary sway over other JBL speakers and other speaker brands from the period which were superior in many respects to the L100.

Aided by the famous drooling review in Rolling Stone, they will still "knock you on your ass" and will turn any dorm room into an instant party central. They're attractive, fun, and trendy, even today, and nothing says "classic rock" or "traditional jazz" better.

They were made for LPs and RIAA curves and MPX stereo tuners and rumble filters and monster 35W/ch receivers with screw terminals and thin, cheap, rip cord speaker wire...

The L100's place in audio history is firmly established and rightfully so. I still completely enjoy myself when I settle in to listen to them. That's why two pairs of the originals still play in my JBL collection.

*When JBL modified the driver arrangement, I felt they harmed the character of the speaker. JMO.

Nightbrace
    The question still remains, what sonic differences are there between the vertically aligned L100 with the LX12-10 networks versus a comparable L100a or 4311 that has the N100 networks? As I said the networks are inherently different and the crossover points are different as well. I've never had the pleasure to listen to either of them, and am interested to know... Were the LX12-10 networks just an effort to get the L100's to sound the same in its vertical alignment versus the L100a/4311?

Basically what I am asking, is if you put the L100 with the LX12-10 networks side by side with the L100a/4311 with the N100 networks, will there be any sonic differences. If I need to be more clear with my questioning, I apologize...

I have them both, the 100's and 4311's running together. The only difference in the two are that the 4311's produce a little more noticable high and mid range sound, while 100's produce a bit more bass. put them together and its heaven. I have had both pairs since 1974, and would only get rid of them for a pair of the L300's.

Rockets
    Giskard, what speakers are those in your avatar?

Thanks

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets View Post
    Giskard, what speakers are those in your avatar?

Thanks

TC
    The new DD66000. US$ 60.000.00 a pair. 450.000 NKR.

JBL L100 Century Up-Grade Kit from Jantzen Audio

Question Users?

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post

It seems I've heard about this before. Has anyone on Lansing Heritage done this? If so, how do you like it?
    Out.

Thread Information