Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 900hz Smith Horn for 1.5 Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    The file is in a section of the forum that was dedicated to a past private project that was pay to view.
    Thanks! Very interesting horns, something like Yuichi, as I understand? But I just asked plans from thread - 900 Hz Smith))
    Thank you once again)

Kirill

Quote Originally Posted by EvilFuzz View Post
    Thanks! Very interesting horns, something like Yuichi, as I understand? But I just asked plans from thread - 900 Hz Smith))
    Thank you once again)

Kirill
    Right, I understand, but you said you couldn't view the link so I posted what was in the link.

I'm pretty sure the plans for the Smith horn & the JBL 2397(? I think that's the one) are both online, 2397 here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...wings-needed-!

I have a pair of John W walnut horns, but really don't want to sell them.

Lee in Montreal (that's his user name here) made some nice MDF versions with aluminum fins, not sure if he still has any left.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Right, I understand, but you said you couldn't view the link so I posted what was in the link.

I'm pretty sure the plans for the Smith horn & the JBL 2397(? I think that's the one) are both online, 2397 here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...wings-needed-!

I have a pair of John W walnut horns, but really don't want to sell them.

Lee in Montreal (that's his user name here) made some nice MDF versions with aluminum fins, not sure if he still has any left.
    Hmm... I can make 2397 or Westlake horns)

But I don't really understand scaling algorithm for higher frequency versions) Should I simply scale orig. 2397?

Thanks,
    Kirill

Hi ,

scaling is hit and miss .... it needs to be re-calculated .

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Hi ,

scaling is hit and miss .... it needs to be re-calculated .

Richard
    Hi,

I supposed that. So, if I want to make 2397 for 1.5" drivers I must learn about calculation, or I must find a plans from John W)

Kirill

I supposed that. So, if I want to make 2397 for 1.5" drivers I must learn about calculation, or I must find a plans from John W)
    Why would you have to rescale the horn? All you are changing is the throat. You could just rescale the throat and leave the horn be as they are separate in the original design. You would also need to add the "lips".

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Why would you have to rescale the horn? All you are changing is the throat. You could just rescale the throat and leave the horn be as they are separate in the original design. You would also need to add the "lips".

Rob
    Hi, Rob)

As I remember, Mr. Widget said something like "never had success with 1.5" drivers with 2397". And in my first thread about Westie horns someone recommend John W project to me.

Many thanks, Kirill

PS: It seems I start to understand 'bout this calculation. All of parameters I can take from yggdrasil XLS file!))
    Sorry for my inattention..

Kirill

As I remember, Mr. Widget said something like "never had success with 1.5" drivers with 2397".
    Odd have to see which ones they were, that horn could be set-up for a 1" driver different throat. Any of the modern large format driver like the 2450SL, 2451/2452 should work just as well as the older 2441/2445's.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Any of the modern large format driver like the 2450SL, 2451/2452 should work just as well as the older 2441/2445's.
    Nice! Only two things; I have none of this modern drivers, but I can use Altec 291, which I can take cheap now. And I have a dimension limit, 'cause this horn project for my friend system, 2397 too large for him)

Kirill

Quote Originally Posted by EvilFuzz View Post
    Nice! Only two things; I have none of this modern drivers, but I can use Altec 291, which I can take cheap now. And I have a dimension limit, 'cause this horn project for my friend system, 2397 too large for him)

Kirill
    Hello,
    JBL 2397 is for me a very good horn for my listening room
    One of my last experiences and change were with JBL 2397 (Smith Horn), this one has a 2 "with a 2328 (2327 for 1") adapter but I've never seen a 1.5 "adapter
    If you have the choice, take the JBL 2450 (same motor of 2451 but with a 2 " demanding for the 2397) after that put the diaph of the SL, the Titanium Aquaplas SL is really better than the Titanium Ribbed normally used in the JBL2450, it's the choice after listening with very good results and really better than my previous 2441 references that I tried also with the 2397.
    Note: Just my taste ;-) and sorry for my approximate english

Music is emotion.

Odd have to see which ones they were, that horn could be set-up for a 1" driver different throat. Any of the modern large format driver like the 2450SL, 2451/2452 should work just as well as the older 2441/2445's.

Rob
    I tried the 2397 with the 2327 1" adapter and a pair of LE85s... I didn't like the sound quality compared to the 2441s. The best sound I had with the 2397/Westlake version was with the TAD TD-4001. I never tried the newer JBLs.

Regarding the horn flare and adapters, the only 1.5" driver I tried was the TAD TD-4003 and that driver did not work with the 2328 throat and a 1.5" to 2" adapter that I tried.

Lastly regarding driver preferences between various "vintage" drivers. Most of the drivers available to us have been around the block and are likely far from spec so when you compare a 24XX with a 24YY, it is hard to say that one model is better than the other based on that comparison. I was fortunate enough to get my 2441s back when JBL was still JBL and I sent my pair to JBL and had them rebuilt at the factory. They were essentially new drivers when I had them. The TADs were also either new or in new condition.

Widget

Beside the original JBL 2397, there are similar versions from Westlake Audio.
    One version uses the 2328 adapter as well. Another version doesnīt and the horn seems to be a little higher, probably 2" like the exit of the horndrivers. But there isnīt much information on these versions on the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by macsic View Post
    Hello,
    JBL 2397 is for me a very good horn for my listening room
    One of my last experiences and change were with JBL 2397 (Smith Horn), this one has a 2 "with a 2328 (2327 for 1") adapter but I've never seen a 1.5 "adapter
    If you have the choice, take the JBL 2450 (same motor of 2451 but with a 2 " demanding for the 2397) after that put the diaph of the SL, the Titanium Aquaplas SL is really better than the Titanium Ribbed normally used in the JBL2450, it's the choice after listening with very good results and really better than my previous 2441 references that I tried also with the 2397.
    Note: Just my taste ;-) and sorry for my approximate english
    Hey, thank you for the Aquplas idea! My default drivers is 2446, and I just think 'about dia's replacement. I want Al Radian dia's, but Ti Aquaplas is very interesting.
    Sorry for my English too, my is disgusting))

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I tried the 2397 with the 2327 1" adapter and a pair of LE85s... I didn't like the sound quality compared to the 2441s. The best sound I had with the 2397/Westlake version was with the TAD TD-4001. I never tried the newer JBLs.

Regarding the horn flare and adapters, the only 1.5" driver I tried was the TAD TD-4003 and that driver did not work with the 2328 throat and a 1.5" to 2" adapter that I tried.

Lastly regarding driver preferences between various "vintage" drivers. Most of the drivers available to us have been around the block and are likely far from spec so when you compare a 24XX with a 24YY, it is hard to say that one model is better than the other based on that comparison. I was fortunate enough to get my 2441s back when JBL was still JBL and I sent my pair to JBL and had them rebuilt at the factory. They were essentially new drivers when I had them. The TADs were also either new or in new condition.

Widget
    Nice to meet you, mr. Widget!
    Thank you again and again for your priceless advices.
    What you say 'bout Ti aquaplas, still didn't try?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    Beside the original JBL 2397, there are similar versions from Westlake Audio.
    One version uses the 2328 adapter as well. Another version doesnīt and the horn seems to be a little higher, probably 2" like the exit of the horndrivers. But there isnīt much information on these versions on the internet...
    Hey)
    Maybe I mistake, but early Westlake didn't have adapters at all? Mr. Hidley can attach driver directly to horn, as I saw at a few pics.
    My adapters is simple wood plate with smooth inside transition, here's prototype, 22mm thickness:

Kirill

Thread Information