Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
...The paradox being that the audiophiles in question seldom say the improvements in question are subtle, no, they generally claim that "veils are removed" and improvements are "several orders of magnitude".
So you'd think I'd hear the tweak in question even if I applied it to my table radio and that DBTs would be no sweat.
Wouldn't ya? Eh?
I am not so sure that some improvements would be so easy to hear on a really crappy system. The fact of the matter is not all systems resolve as much information as others and we don't all have equivalent hearing. I am certainly not suggesting that I agree with most of the tweaks out there, but there are some very real differences in equipment. Changing between a mosfet and SET amp in my system made a very real and dramatic change... objectively the measured frequency response between the two amps was essentially unmeasurable using CLIO to measure the speakers... another change that some would call a tweak, using an outboard DAC instead of the one that came with my mid-fi Sony really helped there as well... would I hear these improvements through an old Advent speaker? Probably... but I bet it would be harder to hear the improvements. Could my tone deaf dad, who needs to have the TV blasting for him to hear the dialog notice the improvements? I really doubt it.

Widget