Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: magic fuse

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    ...The paradox being that the audiophiles in question seldom say the improvements in question are subtle, no, they generally claim that "veils are removed" and improvements are "several orders of magnitude".
    So you'd think I'd hear the tweak in question even if I applied it to my table radio and that DBTs would be no sweat.
    Wouldn't ya? Eh?
    I am not so sure that some improvements would be so easy to hear on a really crappy system. The fact of the matter is not all systems resolve as much information as others and we don't all have equivalent hearing. I am certainly not suggesting that I agree with most of the tweaks out there, but there are some very real differences in equipment. Changing between a mosfet and SET amp in my system made a very real and dramatic change... objectively the measured frequency response between the two amps was essentially unmeasurable using CLIO to measure the speakers... another change that some would call a tweak, using an outboard DAC instead of the one that came with my mid-fi Sony really helped there as well... would I hear these improvements through an old Advent speaker? Probably... but I bet it would be harder to hear the improvements. Could my tone deaf dad, who needs to have the TV blasting for him to hear the dialog notice the improvements? I really doubt it.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    I tried the fuses with nsound anchors for support. What a difference!
    since the fuses made SO MUCH difference ,<insert sarcasm emoicon here> , you realize that you've only done half the job.

Now the power switch MUST be replaced also.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Maron Horonzakz
    I agree with Seawolf...Its bogus...You guys are niggling the pube hairs on a old whore. Its not in the signal path...What is it you dont under stand?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    And I still use lamp cord. And I turn 54 tomorrow. So shoot me.
    Happy BD.
    Shud we shoot you for being 54 or using lamp cord or 'cause you've got so many beautiful cars or just GP ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    You guys are niggling the ...What is it you dont under stand?
    Hey Beer... I guess they didn't get your joke.

Widget

Why did they laugh at me at the hardware store when I told them what I wanted.

Every time I see something like the fuse that I think is silly and people will get a laugh at and I post it I'm blown away by the response. I sure wasn't trying to be controversial. I'm not against being controversial but it seems I've been there enough times on this forum that I wouldn't stir up an argument that can't be settled. It's like an atheist arguing religeeon with a religeos person. If you don't accept each others standards it can't be settled. I sure would like an in to a particular segment of the HiFi market. I was amazed when someone jumped to the defense of the fuse. Do you think there is a market for "special" circuit breakers" for the distribution panel?

A mosfet is an active component. Of course it can make a difference and a DAC is pretty close to being a transducer. It takes numbers and turns them into music. Not from real knowledge, but from a overall concept of how things work I would think it would be one of the things that might make the most difference. Dac's that I have worked with as a tech just took code and made scope traces out of it I would think that music would be much more complex. The point was that this is nothing like asking a fuse to make a difference. A mosfet might be thought of as a triode except you probably won't find a bad one with the eraser on your pencil. I find it interesting that you could hear the difference and couldn't verify it. Interested in what was measured what circumstances etc. Not saying couldn't happen. Just think if you could really hear it something measurable must have changed if you (anybody) knew what to look for.

Thread Information