Thread: caps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

caps

It appears to be accepted that the quality of a capacitor in a crossover is only real important if it is in series with the signal that you are keeping and that it's not very important if it is in a shunt position. It seems to me that it is still in a position to effect the sound very much. I'm not staking out that position I'm merely looking for an explanation as to why it would not still be very important.

A position I've staked out before, if a cap is subtracting crappily from a signal, the remaining signal is, of necessity, crappy....

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    It appears to be accepted that the quality of a capacitor in a crossover is only real important if it is in series with the signal that you are keeping and that it's not very important if it is in a shunt position.

I think that's an assumption on your own part. Where did you read that?

It seems to me that it is still in a position to effect the sound very much. I'm not staking out that position I'm merely looking for an explanation as to why it would not still be very important.
    If you try (USE) a search there are numerous threads on this topic. I don't see (or understand) the point of your post.

Many times in posts about crossovers I read "the electrolytic in this part of the circuit won't effect sound quality" .or something to that extant.

As to the point of my post, I guess it would be to get this straight in my mind. I may not by into the magic cap stuff but I do believe there are crummy caps and try to avoid electrolytic when possible. So if there really are places in a crossover where cap quality is negligible I'd like to understand that and save a buck and if not oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    "the electrolytic in this part of the circuit won't effect sound quality"
    It is a simplification by those who do not know the laws of physics. When it has no effect on sound it probably can be taken off.

All parts from power supply to speaker have to be seen as a great network. Each deviations of an ideal part will more or less have an influence on the output. The influence of each part depends on frequency for example.

The influence can be tested. Or it can be calculated if you know how to do.

Hope this was helpful.

OK but in the power supply, oh never mind. Since nobody has jumped to defend the position that I thought was common it would appear that I was mistaken. If I see what I thought I was referring to again. By someone who is probably pretty technically savvy I'll ask then.

Thom,

Not really. I just dont thing anyone is really interest in being ambushed on such an issue when there is no real specifics behind the your post. ie are you building a crossover or just killing time or wasting our time. If you go to Elliotts Sound pages there is a comprehensive discussion of your question and the answer to may others.

Common sense usually prevails. ie If your shunt capacitor needs to be +200 uf its going to be a non polarised electro due to size land cost imitations. At the frequencies where this would operate the use of a non polarised capacitors in shunt topology are not that important. The voltage and current rating is more important.

Thread Information