Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/B/C/D impressions

A/B/C/D impressions

Piled up a few speakers in the living room last night, got a quick comparison of them (in their current conditions). No measuring equipment at this point, just CD/DVD/ReQuest server and a Yamaha surround receiver. Lots of improvements planned, but if anyone's amused by the pic or interested in quick impressions, here goes:

4333As obviously ruled the roost, frequency range extending audibly past all the other candidates top and bottom. Any time I switched back to these from the others, it's just the hands-down winner. Handled everything well except older recordings- I've been listening to a lot of older music (Django, for example) and these speaker just have no mercy. There are still improvements to make on these, they'll only get better.

Next best (to me) were the L110s- I've used these much, much more than any of the others, but they had come to me with no woofers and had Vifa substitutes installed for years now. Giskard came through with some LE10Hs, and they went into the cabs. Smoother transition from JBL woofer to mid, the Vifas rolled off a bit early to my ears. These just always seem to make me smile, handling just about anything I throw at them accurately (including my own crappy bands). Very low fatigue, adequate bass (these live above my recording console, running full range with a Yamaha P2100 amp and an M&K V3B sub available when desired) and very helpful to me when tracking or mixing.

The L46s surprised me. I expected to hear the tweeters roll off early, but they're not bad. The overall voice of these speakers was really pleasant, sounding best with a sub taking over the low end, of course. Solid and stronger than I expected. They lack the nicely articulated mids of the 3-ways, but it remains to be seen if I'll miss that in a HT application: I have a total of six that are earmarked for a 5.1 setup in the LR. I'll be testing these up against the Canton Karat 20s they'll be replacing, I have a feeling they'll have a little more impact and less sweet highs...we'll see. The ones in this pic/test were from E-Bay, and the woofer surrounds have been replaced. Handled the subtleties of "prettier" music better than...

The L100 Century/4312 bastards...need work. Need something. I played a bunch of different types of music with them, and frowned through most of it. Then, I remembered Ti Dome's posts, and threw some Deep Purple at them. Hmmm. OK, gotcha. Pearl Jam. Yep. STP. Brother Cane. Rainbow. Black Sabbath. Green Day. Foo Fighters, Collective Soul, Dream Theater, Ramones, Urge Overkill, Dinosaur Jr., Replacements, Who, Alice In Chains, Primus...yeah, but these could be better, for sure. L-Pads are scratchy for one, so I don't know if the balances I set actually stay. And, I really don't like the 12" running full range, it's not pretty where it shares with the mid. Any suggestions on first moves here? These are L100 Century cabs & x-overs with 4312 components installed (2213Hs/LE5-12s/LE25-2s). Swerd's xo upgrades seem like an obvious starting point, no? Any point to sourcing the OEM 4312's xo?

Better/bigger pic in the gallery, if anyone cares. I'll be testing with a couple of better amps for the next week or so, and wiring them a bit better for quicker switches between speakers. Niles SVC-4L speaker selector should make that easier & smoother, but it's likely to add its own flavor as well.

I humbly thank all that have contributed to the madness through advice, components or just looney inspiration.

je
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    These are L100 Century cabs & x-overs with 4312 components installed (2213Hs/LE5-12s/LE25-2s). Swerd's xo upgrades seem like an obvious starting point, no? Any point to sourcing the OEM 4312's xo?
    Same XO, no?

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../4312%20ts.pdf

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...L100A%20ts.pdf

Not sure what I was picturing in my head, I had downloaded some different sheets when I was considering going with 035Ti before I had the LE25s re-coned...I'll look around & see if I can find the xo I meant.

Thanks,

je

Not sure what I was picturing in my head, I had downloaded some different sheets when I was considering going with 035Ti before I had the LE25s re-coned...I'll look around & see if I can find the xo I meant.
    Well, you made me look, at least....

Red face

I'll be testing with a couple of better amps for the next week or so, and wiring them a bit better for quicker switches between speakers. Niles SVC-4L speaker selector should make that easier & smoother, but it's likely to add its own flavor as well.

je
    Yeah, well, it's flavorful. Stereo image and high frequencies pretty much went bye-bye. I'll take a meter to it (once I unpack one) and see if they common the grounds between L and R channels, contributing to the loss of separation.

I'm assuming the removable phoenix-type input connector
    plus the in/out switches
    plus the amp selector switches
    plus the "protection" switches
    plus the autoformers
    plus the removable phoenix-type output connector sums up to a whole lot of added resistance. I suppose the meter could tell me that, too. Hmmm, now what box would they be in, and in what closet?

Mr. Niles is going back to outdoor speaker selection duty, methinks. Where's that Adcom speaker selector...?

je

Better layout of speakers now, new pic in the gallery. Wading through stuff looking for a better speaker switcher, too.

je

You need this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROCO-PRO-CO-RMS...QQcmdZViewItem

I have one of these and the two-source, six speaker Pro Co RMS-2. They'll take virtually any load, switch instantly without a click or pop, and handle gobs of power. Plus, they have extended frequency range.

In true Fred Sanford tradition, I was trying to do this with what I had gotten for free and had lying around...but, yeah, that looks like the right piece (for quick switching/comparisons of guitar cabs, too). I've got some ProCo DI boxes that are built like tanks, this box looks good, too.

Cheapie Radio Shack switcher is now sitting in front of the Niles, waiting for its turn...still can't find the Adcom.

Thanks for the info,

je

Enjoyed your observations

Thanks for sharing!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

In true Fred Sanford tradition, I was trying to do this with what I had gotten for free and had lying around...but, yeah, that looks like the right piece (for quick switching/comparisons of guitar cabs, too). I've got some ProCo DI boxes that are built like tanks, this box looks good, too.

Cheapie Radio Shack switcher is now sitting in front of the Niles, waiting for its turn...still can't find the Adcom.

Thanks for the info,

je
    Looks like a good day to stay in and work on your sound!
    Snow is coming down now with a second wave coming this evening ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Looks like a good day to stay in and work on your sound!
    Snow is coming down now with a second wave coming this evening ...
    And, I slipped in that damn snow while unloading my trailer, and wrenched my back. Hope I can stand up straight and lift speakers before the end of the week, or else my wife moves here while there's 8 big JBLs in the Living Room...oh well. For now, I sit and try to relax. Not much here to eat, but there's beer, wine and tequila...hmmm, tortilla chips...salsa...margarita mix...I got a regular fiesta brewin' right here. I'm good.

Tomorrow's supposed to be ~46 degrees, I'm hoping that things thaw so I can go and buy some food now that the van's unpacked. I'd have to get REALLY hungry before I'd try to take the 6,000 + lb. 2WD van down the 340' sloped gravel driveway in the snow.

je

Thanks for the info,

je
    I've got one of those li'l Radio Shack boxes. Haven't seen it in five years. I wonder where it is?

Sorry to hear about your back. That sucks, but your Fiesta will put you in a better frame of mind and body.

That auction is TOOOOOO COOOOOOL

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    You need this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROCO-PRO-CO-RMS...QQcmdZViewItem

I have one of these and the two-source, six speaker Pro Co RMS-2. They'll take virtually any load, switch instantly without a click or pop, and handle gobs of power. Plus, they have extended frequency range.

And, I slipped in that damn snow while unloading my trailer, and wrenched my back. Hope I can stand up straight and lift speakers before the end of the week, or else my wife moves here while there's 8 big JBLs in the Living Room...oh well.
    If you need help, just let me know. I'm about 45-minutes from you best I can tell, and once the kids are off to school I'm fairly available on Monday-Thursday. Flying to TX on Friday though. My back is experiencing a good period as we speak.

Thanks for the pic and the post Do you really think that at medium levels, the 4333 is more articulate, smoother/realistic than the L110's? hmmmm, must have bad level pots, or they need to be on some stands....or your 4333's just sound better! Louder, for sure. Thanks again for the fun post.

Thread Information