Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have-Good-Sound-with-your-beer-project...

Hey, Alex...

Are you posting a .bmp or .jpg? Trry saving it to a .jpg and see if that works. Alternatively, if you can, print it to Adobe .pdf (option on many windows systems these days) and then attach that to the post.

You could email me and I'll try some tricks, too.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Aw, Giskard! That was too good a post to toast! You cracked me-up! Too goofy for words.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

pangea
    Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
    Pangea:

If You can understand my fairly horrible drawing, You can see that it is a Helmholtz resonator tuned to about 35Hz, with a 70Hz harmonic, if You sit on it, the vibrations will get to Yr derriere and associated parts, specially with that big "coffin lid" with no bracing, I canīt take credit for it, it was an in-house JBL trick, with scientific biological reasons.

About the 4530:

JBL recommended specifically the 2205 and E140, check out the 1980 catalog; You could use just about any 15" JBL, but the 2231 would be a waste, the length of the horn makes for about 80Hz, the 2220 and E130 did not kick so nicely at 40Hz, and the E145 was less efficient, remember we are talking disco, not Hi-Fi.

So the 2227 is of course more like a 2220, but We want "kick" donīt We?

The 1" fglass was used only on the chamber behind the woofer, not close to the throat; I guess batting would work too.
    Hmmm... Helmholz... "coffin lid"... hmmm. I know what a coffin lid is though. I'm not sure I follow, but that's alright.

Yes we want "kick" and lot's of it.
    Why the distinction? Why can't one have "kick" in Hi-Fi at home?

BR
    Roland

pangea

Hi Ralf!

What's the difference between the 2226H and the 2226HPL?

BR
    Roland

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Bo: Thanks, my bro is coming over tomorrow, and He is a wiz, I tried in .jpg, I think my scanner wants too much resolution.

Pangea:

Look for "Helmholtz" in any encyclopaedia, -or the web-.

Sure We want kick, but a lot of music goes lower than 40Hz, and a 4530 wonīt do, unless You add some 2242 subs, -ask Giskard-.

"PL" is protector-less, about $4 less for not having the rubber tire around the magnet.

Alex.

Charley Rummel
    Hi, All:

The 2227 as short lived as it was, had good T/S perameters for horn applications. It failed more for the wrong reasons than any other. In the USA, bass reflex applications are very popular these days. Call it economics or whatever - I'm too smashed right now to get into heated conversation - horn products are downplayed BIG TIME in the USA these days.

Regards,
    Charley

Alex Lancaster

Smile HELMHOLTZ RESONATOR

Hope it works!

Alex.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: HELMHOLTZ RESONATOR

Hope it works!

Alex.
    Hi Alex,

you mean this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ralf; 01-06-2004 at 08:08 PM.
    16 Hz can not be substituted

Alex Lancaster

Smile

xactly!!, You can put the port anywhere near the end, my sketch was too hasty. Yours is better.

Alex.

xactly!!, You can put the port anywhere near the end, my sketch was too hasty. Yours is better.

Alex.
    Hi Alex,

Did you ever hear this construction?

What is with the frequencies between the octaves? I believe that it will sound strange, if only certain frequencies are audible.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Hi Ralf:

Yeah, We made some, in addition to the normal system, and all they did was bang at the desired freq, and vibrate Your seat, We cut them off at 150Hz, I think, but they were not "speakers" at all, but Disco music at the time had a lot of 70Hz, so people liked them as a luxury on top of the normal system; I wonder what happened to them, this was 20+ years ago.

Alex.

Hi Ralf:

Yeah, We made some, in addition to the normal system, and all they did was bang at the desired freq, and vibrate Your seat, We cut them off at 150Hz, I think, but they were not "speakers" at all, but Disco music at the time had a lot of 70Hz, so people liked them as a luxury on top of the normal system; I wonder what happened to them, this was 20+ years ago.

Alex.
    Hi Alex,

which speaker? Originally this construction was designed for the 2245H. And which co-ordination frequency did you select? 70Hz? Isn't this system meant for particularly deep frequencies? For example 20/40 Hz...

Charley Rummel
    Many years ago, an acquaintence of mine described an air coupler design which he built into his livingroom floor (around the mid 1950's), where the floor joists and the flooring served as three sides, and then a fourth panel in the basement ceiling enclosed the device. The chamber was 8 feet long, with the vent opening through the floor much like an air duct register, complete with grill.

Unlike the design shown here, which has a partition down the middle of the chamber with the driver mounted on it, this design had no interior partition. Instead, the driver was mounted from the basement side with the edge approximately 2 inches from the vent. The back of the driver was unenclosed.

He claimed that the device was able to reach frequencies well below 20 Hz.

Regards,
    Charley

E140 in 4530

My project is to put a E140 in 4530 I'm a musician I'ts for playing keyboards ...any opinions ... regards.

Ahh the scoop!

We had upsized versions of the JBL 4520 made wayyyy back in `77. Originally we used CV 18,s and went to the JBL E-155 shortly thereafter, and later in the 80,s to the JBL 2240.

And I still use them to this day, corner loaded, and everybody loves them. They KICK, and have that nice sound from the rear horn loading. In one word, they make music.

I sometimes think that JBL would be smart to re-introduce some of these vintage legends, with drivers made for the cabinets.

And before anybody says no one will buy this type of stuff anymore, let me be the first to let you know, the Reggae guys still build plenty of scoops for their bottom end use.

Would be a good thing for selling to permanent installs that want this type of sound.
    scottyj

Thread Information