Thread: Warped grilles - Fix?

Warped grilles - Fix?

Hi,

Anyone know of a simple way to take a slight warp out of one of my 250Ti grilles?

They are quite tall/slender grilles so I guess are prone to a bit of warping over time. In my case, the top (or bottom) grille 'studs' don't fit into the cabinet 'sockets' properly and there is an approx. 10mm misalignment there. It would be nice to fix it.

Hello Andyoz,

I am not familiar with that grill, but it is likely to be a plastic composite or wood product. In either case you could try a combination of moderate heat and pressure. Initially I would try moderate heat (say around 50 degrees C- like a clothes drying cabinet for say 1hour) and the grill weighted/clamped to straight. See how this works- Perhaps it needs to be bent over-flat to compensate for the bow already in the grill. Do the bending/clamping in small steps with the grill warm. If it is timber/wood them a humid environment may help.

Other than that I once had a warped B&W grill made from a plastic composite which was bowed. I carefully cut some slits in the side ribs and reglued them straight- rather extreme.

Good Luck.

Best
    Joe Alesi
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Thanks Joe,

I will try the 'counter bend' method. Good tip re. the hot/humid environment. We have a hot press that I should be able to get up to about 30-40 degrees and will put a few wet towels over a radiator to get the humidity up.

You're the second Melbourne boy I've seen on here (my original hometown). I recall that decent JBL gear was hard to come by.

Ah.. expatriate- that explains the "oz" in Andyoz. Yes JBL stuff is a bit hard to come by in Australia- thankfully I have most of the stuff I need for future projects- mostly from eBay-US.

Good luck with the grille.

Best
    Joe Alesi
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Thread Information