Thread: Part out speakers and trash cabinets or sell complete

Part out speakers and trash cabinets or sell complete

I asked this question on another forum so I apoligize in advance if there are readers from that site seeing this twice.

Over the weekend I bought 6 voice of the theater cabinets, 2 small altecs cabinets with 604e's, and a couple of misc. compression drivers. I am keeping a couple but am on the fence on what to do with the rest of the stuff. My first thought is to pull the speakers out and sell them and just trash the cabinets but before I do I thought I would ask around for opinions. None of the stuff has been tested.

What I would do.

Put them on eBay and offer everything with the cabinets, but if the high bidder only wants the components, do it that way.

It would be a shame to get rid of cabinets of such history!

May I ask what you paid?

-Storm.

majick47

Part Out Speakers and Trash Cabinets

A quick look at the pictures shows the cabinets in very good condition. Why in the world would you want to trash the cabinets? It might seem to be a popular thing to do on Ebay so as to maxamise profits and many of the sellers are destroying the cabinets in the process of removing the components and makeing them worthless. Possibly others may have a different opinion but if I'm going to buy a pair of speakers I'd like them all original and in one piece and not have to put a gig saw puzzel togeather. Go to a cabinet maker or woodworking shop and ask them to build the same cabinets today and I doubt you would be throwing them in the dumpster. If a buyer/bidder can't afford the cost of shipping components/cabinets that size they should just stick with a couple of Bose cubes. Sorry if I went overboard on the reply but trashing vintage cabinets pisses me off big time!

Disassemble everything, clean it up nicely, and test it.

List everything separately, including the cabinets, on eBay.

Somebody wants VOTT cabinets, they'll pay for them, including the freight....

the demise of these wonderful cabinets is killing me. i would get a pair if i had the space.

someday, there will be none left.

people are going from small town theater to small town theater ripping off the owners who dont know what their old speakers are worth to collectors. I think it is profiteering at its finest and it makes my stomach turn.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    people are going from small town theater to small town theater ripping off the owners who dont know what their old speakers are worth to collectors. I think it is profiteering at its finest and it makes my stomach turn.
    I'm not sure how true this is. Many theaters want to upgrade their sound, and face it - to be THX capable, etc., these old systems won't quite cut it. Most owners are probably happy to get anything for them, otherwise, they'd probably just end up in dumpsters.

John

Thanks for the opinions. I too hate to waste something of quality but as you can see from my shop I am FULL. A couple of local people have contacted me so it looks like some of the cabinets are going to a good home.

There were 8 cabinets at the sale but I only bought 6. I spoke with the guy that bought the other two last night and I think we may have split pairs. I am planning to trade my cabinet with a 421 for one of his 416 cabinets so I should have 3 pairs of 416 cabs but only 2 pair with horns.

There were also a *bunch* of huge peavey speakers at this sale that I passed on. Hopefully that was the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by vott6 View Post
    There were also a *bunch* of huge peavey speakers at this sale that I passed on. Hopefully that was the right thing to do.
    I'm sorry - was that posed as a question...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

FWIW,

Can you please PM me... indecent request but i would love to frame tone of he voice of the theater badge on the side of one of those cabinets. please pm me.

Thread Information