Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urei 813C

Urei 813C

I picked up a pair of Urei 813C's for $650.00. The cabs are rough but can be resurrected with a little tlc. Any opinions on these. I didn't realize how big they are.

david yost

813C's

Hello there:

I have 3 of them and use them LCR in my HT rig. I think they are fantastic, very efficient and smooth sounding. The downside is the dispersion which is fairly narrow and limits the sweet spot, but no more so than most good CD horns. Although I have limited experience with the rest of the 813 monitors, I think these were the best and were the last of the TimeAlign series.

You will probably need to use a good sub with them, as despite the 2 15" woofers, the response goes away fast below about 50Hz.

Best wishes,
    David

If you two haven't seen this thread, you should check it out.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12303

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by david yost View Post
    You will probably need to use a good sub with them, as despite the 2 15" woofers, the response goes away fast below about 50Hz.
    I assume that is due to the designers assumption that they will be soffit mounted with the resultant gain in low-frequency output.

So, instead of fixing up the cabinets...hide the cabinets by soffit mounting

Hey I've noticed most applications have them mounted up about 3 feet off of the ground with the horn on the bottem. Is there any problem having them on the floor with the horn driver on top?

david yost

813 link

Thanks, Widget:

There is a link that shows up towards the bottom of my page titled something like "Mystery studio monitor" which has some very good historical data about UREI and the 813.

Best wishes,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    If you two haven't seen this thread, you should check it out.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12303

Widget

Yowzas!!! Well I've got a way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lpd View Post
    Hey I've noticed most applications have them mounted up about 3 feet off of the ground with the horn on the bottem. Is there any problem having them on the floor with the horn driver on top?
    Here's the way I'm using mine right now - at least until I can figure out how to build them into the garage I now use as my workplace/office/romper-room. The horns are almost at ear height but the bass should really improve if I could get them up higher. Note the mover's dollies for easy positioning......

Cheers,

David
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    Here's the way I'm using mine right now - at least until I can figure out how to build them into the garage I now use as my workplace/office/romper-room. The horns are almost at ear height but the bass should really improve if I could get them up higher. Note the mover's dollies for easy positioning......

Cheers,

David
    Nice,
    Mine are a little more beaten up than yours, but for what I paid I'm not complaining. So if I lift them up 6-12 inches would that improve the bass at all? They roll off quickly on the bottom end, maybe a subs in order?

Nice,
    Mine are a little more beaten up than yours, but for what I paid I'm not complaining. So if I lift them up 6-12 inches would that improve the bass at all? They roll off quickly on the bottom end, maybe a subs in order?
    Moving away from a boundary reduces bass response because it reduces bass coupling in the room. Installing them in a soffit maximizes bass coupling.

At work, in the studio, we have a pair of 813cs mounted soffitted in a Live End Dead End room that couple very nicely and give good response down to about 50hz. They roll gently from there. Without the soffit, they roll off more precipitously. When I use them without a soffit, I couple them with a subwoofer.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
    Moving away from a boundary reduces bass response because it reduces bass coupling in the room. Installing them in a soffit maximizes bass coupling.

At work, in the studio, we have a pair of 813cs mounted soffitted in a Live End Dead End room that couple very nicely and give good response down to about 50hz. They roll gently from there. Without the soffit, they roll off more precipitously. When I use them without a soffit, I couple them with a subwoofer.

Bob
    Soffit??? Is this inside a wall? Not enough room to pull this off but I am going to lift them for starters and then try a sub. Any suggestions for a sub?

david yost
    I use mine with a pair of fostex 31" woofers in a big IB. If you don't have room for a true IB, you can get good results with Hsu, Parts Express or any number of commercial subs. Used Velodyne servos are good values IME.

=)

Yowzas!!! Well I've got a way to go.
    I just love the response that this room gets.

As far as mounting the urei's with the co-axial on the top, I personally see no problem with that.....I only mounted them with the horns on the bottom to leave room for the subs. I would however recommend against mounting them "horizontally", with the woofers side by side, and you will have undesired "lobing" in the horizontal plane.

Happy listening!!!
    Frederick

Soffit??? Is this inside a wall? Not enough room to pull this off but I am going to lift them for starters and then try a sub. Any suggestions for a sub?
    The JBL2242H is a great choice. I may be shot for saying it here, but my father has had good luck with the EVX180-B, though, he is using 6 of them. Overkill????? Ha ha ha.

Happy listening!
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    The JBL2242H is a great choice. I may be shot for saying it here, but my father has had good luck with the EVX180-B, though, he is using 6 of them. Overkill?????
    Overkill is a subjective consideration....I'd be more concerned about internal bleeding when used with those sort of movies with lots of explosions. Must be fun, though.

Cheers,

David

Thread Information