Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AUDIO mag - 1954

good price MAC gear..99 96/100 perfect
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Such a long song. Such short lyrics. So many replays on my L100 Centuries in the dorm.
    ........ L100 Centuries in the dorm??????

You would have been BFMOC at my school with those L-100s!!!!

My Altec Boleros-harman/kardon 670/Miricord-Shure M91ED turntable was the best system at the USU men's high rise dorm in 1972.

Of course there was beer, cigarettes, albums, ski passes, and a car to keep running, so no JBLs for me (until I got a job at a hi-fi store selling JBLs).

altec
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It must have been good to be an audiophile in the 50's and 60's. Looking at all this (of their time) fine equipment.

I , at the age of 54 only got the 70's, the last decade of pioneering, and affordable stuff. This was the last decade you could get "top of the line" most working people could pay.

Today, if you want "top of the line" you have to pay 10 times or more of a normal income to get it.

I wonder what the next decade will come too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    It must have been good to be an audiophile in the 50's and 60's. Looking at all this (of their time) fine equipment.

I , at the age of 54 only got the 70's, the last decade of pioneering, and affordable stuff. This was the last decade you could get "top of the line" most working people could pay.

Today, if you want "top of the line" you have to pay 10 times or more of a normal income to get it.

Not really, I hear the same kind of dreamy nostalgia about old guitars and amps, but it's not really true.

Before you get too starry-eyed about vintage "top of the line" systems think about the "dream system" in Life Magazine's 1955 article that made JBL famous. That system cost $1625 in 1955, $726 just for the speaker. That would be over $16000 dollars in today's money for a MONO system. Most working people in 1955 with an average salary of $5000/year would never consider spending that much money for a system.

Compare the L100/4311 to the modern equivalent LSR32.
    In 1971 the L100 sold for $273 ea., that would be $1316 in today's dollars, $2632 for a pair. That's considerably more than the $2000 price tag of a pair of LSR32s now.

As far as "statement" speakers you're a little closer to the truth. JBL's 1957 Paragon sold for $1830 and, even at the equivalent of $12696 in today's dollars, that's only a fraction of the price of JBL's newest "statement" speakers. But I would argue it would be nearly impossible to spend that sort of money today and NOT get a speaker system that sounds better. It's just that the improved sound quality of the average system is so much better than it was back then that makers are forced to get more and more extreme for a speaker to stand out enough to be considered a "statement".

Dollar/year conversions from here:
    http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ppowerus/
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    (snip) Not really,
    Thank you for your detailed explanation Glen. It is always nice to be "put down to earth". Anyway, this is how I feel.

But still ... ... : The price of a Paragon ... and the price for the DD66000 ... ... You get my meaning?

Rolf, today with family and house the "limiting line" is somewhere else, you are shurely right.
    But I have a secret plan (public is turned off right now ):
    Bose should be animated to invent innovativ Dolby 13.1extended. Perhaps someone will sell DD66000 for cheap - it's only stereo - to get the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    (public is turned off right now ):

Obsolete
    Thank you for your detailed explanation Glen. It is always nice to be "put down to earth". Anyway, this is how I feel.

But still ... ... : The price of a Paragon ... and the price for the DD66000 ... ... You get my meaning?
    Considering that JBL has sold four times as many DD66000's than originally planned I'm thinking the price tag isn't a problem at all. Usually people who want something either work to get it or they steal it from someone who worked to get it.
    A further drop in relative prices for the lower and middle class items due to continued exploitation of "third world" labor pools along with a continued relative increase in the cost of TOTL items due to their usually being built by "first world" labor pools.

Or total war.

Yeah, I do get your point, but today's statement speaker also has the advantage of a well established high-end hifi market.
    I think the Everest II is selling faster than the Paragon ever did even though it is relatively more expensive.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Considering that JBL has sold four times as many DD66000's than originally planned I'm thinking the price tag isn't a problem at all.
    Yes, so I have heard. Is the reason that Japan and other country's in the east buying more than they used to during the "Paragon years"?

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    Yeah, I do get your point, but today's statement speaker also has the advantage of a well established high-end hifi market.
    I think the Everest II is selling faster than the Paragon ever did even though it is relatively more expensive.
    Agreed. Note my quote to Giskard.

Can you imagine that someone here will have Iron Butterfly?
    Peter
    I have "Inna Godda da Vidda" on LP.... STILL SEALED -no UPC , looks like original

how can a person tell the date of unmarked LP's ?? have a vinyl friend who tells that on the Beatles "white Album" you can tell generations by the distance that the lettering travels around the label.

Yes off topic, but I have the LP!!!

Can you imagine that someone here will have Iron Butterfly? My neighbour on the other side of the street has got one. And I have the live version:
    IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA, 19 min. ...
    ... we dicovered one New Years eve.
    [Aint they all using JBL, just to be on topic? ]

I started High School in 1959

The High School library had many back issues of Audio and I read them all. I drove the library aids nuts with my request, I'm sure they said not this geek again!. After I graduated from HS I got my own subscription to Audio I kept it up for many years.

Thread Information