Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Here, Got A Few Questions

New Here, Got A Few Questions

Hello Guys,

As the title states, I'm new here to this forum and have got a few, well ok, a lot, of questions.

I first PMed Titanium Dome over at AVS in regards to JBL speakers, as I've been considering giving them a look. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my speakers and I guess I just have a lot of questions and concerns.

First understand, I am an audiophile, and a former studio musician. When it comes to the quality of my sound, well, let's just say it's something I do not take lightly.

Over the years, I have owned, Definitive Technology, Klipsch, Paradigm, Axiom, B&W, and Martin Logan, just to name a few. I have never bought speakers that could be found in Best Buy and places alike.

So why am I looking at JBL's? Well, for starters, I've been in more studio's over the years that have had JBL's, then those that didn't. My problem is, I never took the time to ask or check to see which JBL's these studio's where using. I just went in, laid down my tracks, did my job, got paid, and off to the next gig I went.

Anyways, I was wondering which JBL series you all would recommend, and why? I've been somewhat interested in the JBL Studio L Series simply off all the good things I've heard about them.

At anyrate, I've spoke long enough. Sorry for the long winded post. I'm looking forward to all of your recommendations and explainations.

MJC
    Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, the higher end JBLs are better than any of the speakers that you mentioned. The fact that you have owned so many brands of speakers would suggest that you have never really been satisfied with any of them.
    Most people that go or start with JBLs stay there. I have and still use daily, JBLs that are 27~33 years old.
    I currently have a pair of the Studio L 890, for about 3 weeks, very nice speakers. Different from my 27 year old L212s.
    The Performance Series are even better, but much harder to find, only thru Synthesis dealers and sometimes on Harman Online store, and at just a hand full of stores throughout the entire country.
    I think you are confusing Titanium Dome with someone else or forgetting that he is on this forum, not AVS.

Cool I got somethin' to say...

Over at AVS I'm filecat13, but under the right circumstances I'll reveal my "secret" LH identity in a PM to an inquiring mind.

I recently did just that.

Welcome, Pyromania.

All hail the Leps!

Gunter glieben glauchen globen
    Alright
    I got something to say
    Yeah, it's better to burn out
    Yeah, than fade away
    All right
    Ow
    Gonna start a fire
    C'mon!

Rise up! gather round
    Rock this place to the ground
    Burn it up let's go for broke
    Watch the night go up in smoke
    Rock on! (rock on!)
    Drive me crazier, no serenade
    No fire brigade, just pyromania, c'mon
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, the higher end JBLs are better than any of the speakers that you mentioned. The fact that you have owned so many brands of speakers would suggest that you have never really been satisfied with any of them.
    Most people that go or start with JBLs stay there. I have and still use daily, JBLs that are 27~33 years old.
    I currently have a pair of the Studio L 890, for about 3 weeks, very nice speakers. Different from my 27 year old L212s.
    The Performance Series are even better, but much harder to find, only thru Synthesis dealers and sometimes on Harman Online store, and at just a hand full of stores throughout the entire country.
    I think you are confusing Titanium Dome with someone else or forgetting that he is on this forum, not AVS.
    Hi MJC,

Actually, no I'm not confusing Titanium Dome, he goes by a different user name over on AVS. This I know because he refered me to this forum here and had mention that his user name here was Titanium Dome. It's all good though.

Anyways, I'd have to say that's true to a point. I mean some of my past systems I wasn't happy with at all, others I was. My problem is and always has been, I'm always looking for better. Something that I admit, really @isses me off, because I find myself never enjoying my bloody system anymore. Heck it's caused me to almost get out of this hobby on numerous occasions. I do feel though that I'm slowly, very slowly, getting past all that though. I mean, I'm getting to a point where I'm just flat out sick and tired of upgrading all the darn time.

Anyways, I'll check into some of those series that you mentioned. My list of contacts is long but distinguished. For what it's worth, I thought I'd mention that the Studio L's that I was considering going with were the L820's all around, with the LC2 center channel. I'm really not wanting big floorstanders anymore, although I'm not ruling them out either.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Over at AVS I'm filecat13, but under the right circumstances I'll reveal my "secret" LH identity in a PM to an inquiring mind.

I recently did just that.

Welcome, Pyromania.

All hail the Leps!

Gunter glieben glauchen globen
    Alright
    I got something to say
    Yeah, it's better to burn out
    Yeah, than fade away
    All right
    Ow
    Gonna start a fire
    C'mon!

Rise up! gather round
    Rock this place to the ground
    Burn it up let's go for broke
    Watch the night go up in smoke
    Rock on! (rock on!)
    Drive me crazier, no serenade
    No fire brigade, just pyromania, c'mon
    Hey buddy, I'm a little slow, but I finally made it over here. lol

It's funny you quote those lyrics, cause my sig on a lot of forums, AVS not being one of them, is "It's Better To Burn Out, Then Fade Away"! lol

I also have that listed on my website, which is currently under construction.

Having not had the opportunity to hear the Studio L series yet, would guys recommend this series based upon some of my past systems. I mean heck the B&W's I had cost my rump a cool $20,000. I remember those, they had that kind of price tag that's a little hard to forget. lol

What to listen to: studio monitors

Since you're a studio guy, you might first consider some studio monitors. Some of the classics are incredible bargains in today's markets. The classic two-way or three-way monitor might be just the ticket.

For example, I have a pair of mint 4430s that will rock the house just fine, thank you very much. It's a largish two-way with a 15" driver and a nice baby-cheek horn. I paid $1200 locally (LA) for the pair. What a super deal on some great monitors!

Others can chime in with their own studio monitor recommendations.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 08-02-2006 at 10:57 PM. Reason: a 15' driver would be a heck of transducer, but it's only 15"
    Out.

Cool What to listen to: higher end consumer

As much as I like the 4430s, I'm really a bigger fan of a well-designed four-way system. MJC mentioned the Performance Series, which I have all around in the main room.

As my moniker suggests, the more Ti the better for me, but it's got to be great Ti, not too shrill or biting. The Performance Series is truly music to my ears (which often are full of earwax--- ) You can read the devilishly long Performance Series thread here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=3272
    Out.

Looking at JBL's website, they show the following under their current Preformance Series line up...

P81
    PC600
    PT800
    PS1400

Now, I'm not interested in new subs. I'm pretty well covered in that department. As for the rest of the system; Well I'm really not interested in inwalls, so I guess my question would be, would/could the PT800's be used as mains and surrounds? I obviously would get the PC600 center channel.

The main reason (which is really kind of lame), but hey I can't help it, that I'm interested in going with the Studio L820's along with the LC2 center, is because I just think they look sexy as hell. I know some people think of them as being a little robust looking, but I think they look sweet and manly. lol

Steve Gonzales

Thumbs up Welcome

Hey Pyro,

You should consider the 4333's member "speakerdave" has for sale. Pro version of the L300. Research them in our library. I'll bet you've seen and heard them in your studio experience. Here is a link: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-4331-4333.htm Good luck with your search, Steve G.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromania
    ...I'm really not wanting big floorstanders anymore...
    Pity. Everyone that's gone to JBL's top-line "floorstanders" has been extremely pleased...

Anyway, just so you know, JBL is now making their venerable 43xx-series available in the US - but they are damned difficult to find on their website.

The JBL 4318?? Thread has sifted through the various models and has some links. Good luck.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    I agree with Ti Dome on looking at 4430's. I've got a pair, and the other evening, a friend of mine who's been an engineer at major recording studios for over 25 years was visiting me for a critical listening session of the 4430's, 4315A's, and XPL200A's. He was blown away by how good the 4430's sounded, saying it was the first time he'd ever heard a system in the home that he could equate with what he's used to hearing in the studio.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromania
    Looking at JBL's website... etc
    A big hello from Norway, and welcome to the forum. You have already heard that it is a pity you don't want the big floor standing JBL's.

Now you hear it from me. 4343, 4344, 4345, all vintage models with some modifications (networks, cables etc) will really make you pleased. Myself have 4343B's, and they are wonderful, and I have not changed the networks yet. Will do.

4430, of course.

If it MUST be small format, then 4412.

Both are Studio Monitors, which actually means something with JBL:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=4408

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Hey Pyro,

You should consider the 4333's member "speakerdave" has for sale. Pro version of the L300. Research them in our library. I'll bet you've seen and heard them in your studio experience. Here is a link: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-4331-4333.htm Good luck with your search, Steve G.
    I appreciate the thought, Steve, but if he buys them, will he set them on fire?

David

You shuold try LSR6332 with a sub
    very good monitor neutral flat easy on the hearing

speakerdave has a pair

Thread Information