Thread: Store recone kit and and bad driver or buy new driver

Store recone kit and and bad driver or buy new driver

I have the TI series speakers. I want to have replacement parts stocked away to keep my speakers perfect for the next 15 years. I currently have ordered a new one. That leaves a bad woofer. I can either buy a recone kit and store the 2 off somewhere untill needed or buy a new woofer and let it sit. the price is very close for the kit and the woofer so which is a better way to be prepared? I would have to pay someone to recone whenever it was time so total cost is higher for the kit idea. The money is a small factor but NO WHERE near as important as the trouble to find parts no longer made 10 years from now. (see 044ti tweeters currently )

I seems the woofer sitting there could sag or whatever while the recone kit in its freeze dried perfectly stored place would be brand new when needed.

Thanks

Mark

It's gonna age either way.

New is better. That's why we want a "fresh" recone kit.

You're gambling that it won't be available later.

I'd swap a new LE14H-3 in for an old LE14H-1 anytime....

I think you answered buy the speaker and let it sit: of the 2 choices.

Would the 14-3 be a, upgrade or more equivalent but newer or another choice. AND would GT approve?

Thanks

Mark

Well, no. Let me clarify:

I see four assumptions in your plan,

A) That the speaker will ultimately fail, a given,

B) That you'll want to get it going again at that time, if nothing else, for resale,

C) That the parts to accomplish this will not otherwise be available, an unknown, and,

D) That the parts you archive will not have themselves deteriorated from age.

It's the last one I have a problem with. It's age what rots the surrounds and stiffens the spiders. I'd be wanting to rehab with the newest parts available. That'd mean keep the frame and hope that new kits are still available at the time.

I suppose there's little harm other than the expense in buying some kits to save, too, if you think they'll be again discontinued, but I'd work a deal with my reconer for that. He'd always have "my" kits on his shelf, and could use/replace them with new over time as he needs them for customers. I'm just "buying" inventory for him in exchange.

I'm also suggesting another option: There's presently a "better" driver than LE14H-1 available, the LE14H-3, which has a different surround that may last longer than the old foam. I'd acquire a pair of those, maybe, and try them out. If you like them, build something else with the H-1s - Citation 7.4 subs, L200t3 clones, three-ways w/104 H-2 and 035tiA, leading-edge two-ways with 2435HPL, etc. They're versatile drivers...

Thread Information