Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong With This Picture, Mine Are The Same Way

What's Wrong With This Picture, Mine Are The Same Way

Look at the picture and tell me how JBL quality control can let this happen. My pair are exactly the same way.

Hello Toddalin

If you mean the alignment of the back cover and screw holes for the horn I don't get it.

Rob

RIP 2009
    Extra 3-hole taps for 1" horns? Weird!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Toddalin

If you mean the alignment of the back cover and screw holes for the horn I don't get it.

Rob

Basically, yes. Note that relative to the horn mounting holes, the input terminals are clocked 90 degrees different on the two drivers. Mine are also like this and I thought that maybe someone had been in there, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So, when the horn is mounted, the terminals sit differently relative to the horn.

Obsolete
    Yeah, I always found the LF transducers with the input terminals at a "45" instead of a "90" especially irritating. In fact, I refuse to buy a 1400 Array because the input terminals on the LE14H-3 are at a "45".

And James B. might have asked, How does this affect the sound?

Basically, yes. Note that relative to the horn mounting holes, the input terminals are clocked 90 degrees different on the two drivers. Mine are also like this and I thought that maybe someone had been in there, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Well it really doesn't mean a whole lot. Who cares if the terminals are off. What sets how the cover goes on is the top plate and/or phase plug. Which ever one has the key cut for the return wire on the coil is what determines the diaphram orientation. The phase plug and magnet and throat are all symetrical if I remember right except for the VC key/notch if there is one.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Look at the picture and tell me how JBL quality control can let this happen. My pair are exactly the same way.

Clearly one is a left side driver and one is a right side driver.

I think you scored big time with a coveted mirror imaged pair.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    And James B. might have asked, How does this affect the sound?

Well, if the wires are able to reach the terminals on one horn, but not the other, this could have a very deleterious effect on the sound.

Actually, I see it as more of an aestetics and a concern for the product you are producing issue. If you went to buy a new car, and the bumper wasn't lined up so that you see a big gap on one side, it may not affect its performance, but would you pass on it for one that fit right?

When I produce a document, I like all of my margins to line up, even if it has no impact on the analysis.

Maron Horonzakz
    So cut the wires a inch longer..There are alot of thing more serious to niggle about..

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    So cut the wires a inch longer..There are alot of thing more serious to niggle about..
    You miss the point, its attention to detail that sets the great apart from the not so great and mediocre. When one pays the JBL premium, the attention to detail (or lack there of) should not be an issue.

Clocking woofers differently is even far worse! If one uses the regular screw holes, rather than the "mounts," you could end up with one speaker with the leads (that show from the front of the speaker) facing down, while the other would be cocked off at an angle.

Yes, this bothers me on my 2205/2235s, but was never an issue with the D130s and 130As.

. . . My pair are exactly the same way.

Well, clearly you need to track down the owner of the drivers in the picture and swap one of your drivers with him/her so you can both have matched pairs!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

You miss the point, its attention to detail that sets the great apart from the not so great and mediocre. When one pays the JBL premium, the attention to detail (or lack there of) should not be an issue.
    I understand what your saying however I think in a way your are missing the point. These are loudspeakers. You pay the premium for the driver to driver consistency in how they sound. If how they were oriented affected how they sounded they would all be the same. It's just a mechanical assembly issue not a sonic one. The idea is to put the money where it counts most.

Rob

Obsolete
    You miss the point, its attention to detail that sets the great apart from the not so great and mediocre.
    OMG! Could I have a field day with that statement!

That's like handing me a case of hand grenades and no rules of engagement.

Don? Hold me back!

Maron Horonzakz
    Giskard....Wait a second , I saw him first....

Thread Information