Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brought home Altecs today :^) (pics inside)

Brought home Altecs today :^) (pics inside)

Here is a set of Altec Iconic speakers aka 846A Valencias.

I ended up trading a minty Marantz 2270 with out wood case for these babies. How'd I do?
    When I opened up the back of the cabs to inspect the drivers and find out what components were in them I found that on of the horns had pulled the particle board out of the top where the magnet mounts to the top support(tacked and glued from the factory).

Any thoughts on how to fix this? Wood glue and a clamp? Add wood at the top corners of the horn and bolt the tops in there? Combination of both?............
    In the meantime would it be ok to stack these on top of my 846B Valencias horn to horn and use them both? This would leave the horn resting on the top(bolted in of course) and make it so I can check these out at home. Let me know if this would be a good plan.
    Here's a shot of each of the insides of these:

Speakers are loaded w/ the following
    416-16Z 391029/391029
    811B horns
    806A 391041/391041 (these also have a 4300 and 4292 stamped behind each code respectively)
    N-800 X-overs both are stamped 70 36
    Is it safe to assume the 70 on the X over stands for 1970 and that these speaker are 1970 vintage(late '70 by the 41 week on the horn drivers)?
    Let me know about stacking them, fixing the horn mount and how ya'll think I did.

You did VERY well on that swap, Rex. You got the 16 ohm version, and a clean set to boot.

Why in the world would you want to stack them?

Quote Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
    You did VERY well on that swap, Rex. You got the 16 ohm version, and a clean set to boot.

Why in the world would you want to stack them?
    I only want to stack them so that I can try them out here at home. If they are resting on there tops then the horn will set on the spot where the particle board pulled out and I won't have to worry about damaging the horn by just letting it hang from the two bottom bolts on the front.

These cabs are 16 ohms total or 8 ohms total(each)?

Rex,
    G'day.Happy New Year.I'm a member both here and at AK.I recognised your avatar and moniker and wanted to respond(being a 846A owner and all).
    What lovely condition they are in.
    You've got the 846Bs as well?Wow.
    I guess you like your Valencias.
    With regard to stacking.Why not?Go for it.There is only one person who can tell you whether it works or not.Yourself.

I'd replace the short piece of wood that the driver is hanging from with a longer piece. That way, you can glue and screw it into the unbroken wood on either side of the torn out spot. I'd probably fill the bad area with bondo first.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I'd replace the short piece of wood that the driver is hanging from with a longer piece. That way, you can glue and screw it into the unbroken wood on either side of the torn out spot. I'd probably fill the bad area with bondo first.
    Good idea, thanks! I think instead of bondo I'd just put some wood glue in the hole and put the original stuff back in along w/ the longer wood. Gonna think about this a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Rex,
    G'day.Happy New Year.I'm a member both here and at AK.I recognised your avatar and moniker and wanted to respond(being a 846A owner and all).
    What lovely condition they are in.
    You've got the 846Bs as well?Wow.
    I guess you like your Valencias.
    With regard to stacking.Why not?Go for it.There is only one person who can tell you whether it works or not.Yourself.
    I have posted them at AK now as well.

The grills do have several cracks in them but they are all there still. There are several small pieces of veneer missing on the lower corners and a few scratches/rings/scrapes here and there but over all they are very nice. One is fade quite a bit more than the other. It's the one that was in the sun.

I do like my 846B's very much and can't wait to play these for a few days and compare them. It was just an accident that these were Valencias also. I was hoping for Magnificents but I am more than happy w/ more Valencias, especially since they are a different style and a bit older.

I am in DESPERATE need of model 19's now!

Rex -

You should sell these.

I had a pair of Heathkits that were identical to 846As. I compared them to the 846B's and there is no comparison. The reason being - these have no port holes for the woofer, the 846B's do.

You did a good swap, but I would sell those on eBay if I were you.

Or, if you need another set for another area of your house - thats always an option.

Keep this thread posted on your results, but I am almost confident you will keep the 846B's.

Good Job!

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Rex -

You should sell these.

I had a pair of Heathkits that were identical to 846As. I compared them to the 846B's and there is no comparison. The reason being - these have no port holes for the woofer, the 846B's do.

You did a good swap, but I would sell those on eBay if I were you.

Or, if you need another set for another area of your house - thats always an option.

Keep this thread posted on your results, but I am almost confident you will keep the 846B's.

Good Job!

-Storm.

I can already tell you that the 846B's are not going anywhere. They will be staying w/ me for sometime to come(I hope).

As for selling I'm not sure what they'd be worth or if anyone would even want them as a whole speaker. I know the parts are worth money but I hate dismantling vintage items if I could help it. Model 19's are the only other speakers I could see wanting right now(well, A7's but they are a bit big )

What about cutting a new baffle for these w/ a port for the woofer? Do you think that would work well?

I'll post my thoughts on these when I get a chance to listen to them here.

Rex -

You would get about $1200.00 for them on eBay like they are. Parted, about $800.00 for the components.

I would offer worldwide. The asians go nuts over the 846A's and most have a system in place for shipping.

Good luck.

Let us know the A/B results.

Did you see the thread about the A/B results of the 846U vs Model 19 I posted a couple weeks back?

I strongly suggest keeping the 846's. The 19's give them a run for their money, but I love the 846's the best.

-Storm

You could pull the horns and...

set them on top of the cab, while making repairs. It would save lifting those muthas.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    set them on top of the cab, while making repairs. It would save lifting those muthas.

Not a bad idea but these are light compared to the 846B's

Yeah, but....

Rex -

You would get about $1200.00 for them on eBay like they are. Parted, about $800.00 for the components.

I would offer worldwide. The asians go nuts over the 846A's and most have a system in place for shipping.

Good luck.

Did you see the thread about the A/B results of the 846U vs Model 19 I posted a couple weeks back?

I strongly suggest keeping the 846's. The 19's give them a run for their money, but I love the 846's the best.

-Storm
    only HIS ears can make up HIS mind. I think you said that somewhere in your search for sonic orgasmia.

Rex -

Good luck.

-Storm
    I'll have a listen to the over the next few days and report back on the a/b.

Thanks for the pricing guide line and the tip on the Asian market.

I have not read the thread you speak of but I will now

No ports? Look a the photo of the one with the horn in place... On each end of the horn aren't those gaps (that's grill cloth showing!) working as ports?

Thread Information