Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: 4343 crossover modifications

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStrat
    Hi,

I am 22, an avid listener/guitar player. My tastes center mostly around 70's progressive rock. Gentle Giant, ELP, Zappa, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc. My 4343's have provided me with countless hours of enjoyment. I love to listen at high levels (110db +). My L-Pads are shot, and I started thinking (my mistake), what else can I do to improve my crossovers?

I am bi-amping, using 2 Phase Linear 700's.
    700 Series Two - LF
    700B - MF/HF/UHF

My 4343's have:
    2231A's reconed with 2235H kits
    2121's are stock.
    2420's are stock.
    2405's are stock.

I would like to build a charge coupled network using Solens, unless anybody strongly advises otherwise. I'm also going to bypass the selector switch, hard-wired permanently to external bi-amp mode.

I am fairly new at this, though my father is an electronic engineer and he will be helping me with this project. However, his expertise is more in the field of amplification and active signal processing design.

I know the first choice would be to upgrade to 4344 components. But, using the components that I already have (list above), does anyone have a schematic or any other info that would I apply to my situation?

Any help at all would be eternally appreciated.

Thank You.
    /Craig

Hello,
    I understand that you want to improve your 4343 stock. I also understand that you will function in Bi-amplification. and that you want to build DC charges network...

mmmmmm.....

That look strait forward the work project of Ian Mackensie...

My first question is: you have taken the sorrow to read this long Thread length attentively???
    Then, It seems as envisaged by Masters members that the adapted circuit of
    the 3145 enriched by me does not function with one 4343 stock.
    Currently, I do not have time to work on my case (hihihi) but the alternate
    circuits which were presented in this thread on HF seems to be a good
    way of solution.
    Read atentivement also the debate around the 4343 to 4344 upgrade in general forum??
    That made, subject your ideas and questions with precise details and then it will be easy to include/understand with those which want to help you,what it misses to you to go from the front one.
    Normallement the 4343 suportent more than 115 dB but the condenser
    having dried strong risk of Shorter well before their capacity of
    origin.
    It may be that the oxide and the corrosion of the LPAD are also an
    unstable form of resistance... Finally according to my experiment it is clear that Bi-amp Switch is finished and contributes to a bad response and an unstable resistance in the circuit.

BTW permaently loose hearing after 30 seconds of 115 DB listening volume...

Jean.

Monster Cable availability...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

And for the end what is your highest experience in regards of internal cable network and link for driver???

I've been using 15 AWG Monster cable from the JBL Ti Series for the last 20 years. It works just fine. Ask someone else what they prefer.
    Hi there,
    I realise '4313B' isn't posting these day's but can anyone tell me where I can get some of this Monster Cable in 16 AWG in some varied color's? Being in Australia, I order 'most of' what I need from your "land of plenty.."!

Also interested in your choice of stranded copper OR, Tinned stranded copper? Sometimes you can get the same cable 'type' in plain copper or tinned? I am thinking the "tinned" would last longer against corrosive joins - even IF soldered..??

Many Thanks to all!
    DogBox [steve]

Hello Steve

I would just go with locally sourced wire and be done with it. As far as platting on the wire I have used both silver and tin lead. Tin lead will probably be scarce with RHOS. You should be able to get any reasonable finish you want and using rosin cored solder as long as you clean with alcohol it will be fine. The RMA fluxes are not particularly corrosive. Stay away from aggressive active fluxes just not needed.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Colored Spaggetti..it IS!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Steve

I would just go with locally sourced wire and be done with it. As far as platting on the wire I have used both silver and tin lead. Tin lead will probably be scarce with RHOS.

Hi there Rob!
    And Thanks! for the advice!! Copper being what it is, isn't too light on the weight side of things when you are needing a few different colors to differentiate between
    LF, MF, HF, etc., and all the 43xx models are pretty tall; so unless you place the crossovers near the relative drivers and have them separated - you can use a few
    feet of colored spaggetti!
    I haven't made the change to 'RHOS" solder and have become accustomed to the WBT Silver Solder. Has a nice "wetting" quality and flow. Even for 0.7 mm dia.

Stay away from aggressive active fluxes just not needed.

Rob
    Gave the "Fluxes" away unless I am soldering up tin-plate sheet or Galvanized plate. Then wash/flush well with water!

Found a guy on the 'bay selling assorted gauges (got some 16 AWG) of plain colored and "striped" colored wire as well. Couldn't resist that one! Can't have quite the JBL color scheme they use.. but hey, will look the part!
    Now that most of the Genuine "re-cones" aren't availabe any more - have people stopped building the 43xx range of speakers..??
    Are 'any' of the Newer range of drivers useable? Would be a sad day the "sawdust" stops being made from building something... I'm still looking! Can't help myself!

Kind Regards,
    DogBox [steve]

Quote Originally Posted by DogBox View Post
    Gave the "Fluxes" away unless I am soldering up tin-plate sheet or Galvanized plate. Then wash/flush well with water!

Found a guy on the 'bay selling assorted gauges (got some 16 AWG) of plain colored and "striped" colored wire as well. Couldn't resist that one! Can't have quite the JBL color scheme they use.. but hey, will look the part!
    Now that most of the Genuine "re-cones" aren't availabe any more - have people stopped building the 43xx range of speakers..??
    Are 'any' of the Newer range of drivers useable? Would be a sad day the "sawdust" stops being made from building something... I'm still looking! Can't help myself!

Kind Regards,
    DogBox [steve]
    Try the 2123H with the 4344mk11 mid filter schematic.

Any other mid drivers will require the crossover reworked.

Thread Information