Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I must be living right ......

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    Snoop around EbaY for a BGW 202 or 203 control center -- it will surprise you.
    I will .

.................................................. ...................

Montana , huh ?? My grandparents lived in Lewiston most all their lives. THE most exciting thing that ever happened to them was the day the surveyors knocked on the front door . They were researching the exact center of Montana.
    Turns out that the drain in the kitchen sink of grandma's home was dead center.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

J.A.F.S.

Lightbulb EUREKA

SW - I think a light has come on for you.
    A well designed and constructed, full complementary push-pull power amp with a robust power supply will sound quite good -- irrespective of the fact that many "golden ear" audiophiles give it the "poo-poo"...

When you look at the slew rate of the BGW 250D and do the math you'll see that it has no trouble with the audio passband and beyond. If you want to push its passband past audibility you'll need to fiddle with the output inductor. I don't recommend this procedure... the 250D sounds quite nice as delivered by BGW.

You should get a service tech to remedy any DC offset on the output stage -- after all the amp is +20 years old. Other than that, keep the convection cooling slots clean and unobstructed and ENJOY.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Smile

hey seawolf want another pair? http://cgi.ebay.com/OHM-F-SPEAKERS-1...QQcmdZViewItem REGARDS Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim3860 View Post
    hey seawolf want another pair? http://cgi.ebay.com/OHM-F-SPEAKERS-1...QQcmdZViewItem REGARDS Jim
    Whilst I dearly love mine.....1 set is prolly enough. (Not wanting to sound like whiz-his-name with the unfinished speakers) , but if you have never heard these ...welll...they are unlike most anything else. I'm sure there is better available, but many who hear them are stunned.

THis pair is fair priced if in the ad condition, tho we know that they will need refoaming, which is difficult.

Seller sure is not ebay pro, incurs extra fees by starting at $1450 with BIN $1500. Just do a fixed auction at $1500....oh well, took me a while to learn that too.

Methinks that you could do very well within the JBL brand for that much money. For me , I was just fulfilling an old dream from 1977, but will keep them for life.

Thanx Jim for the lead, I always enjoy reading 'bout them big OHM's...

ps..did you see this Sansui pre=amp he sold for 1k ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260051851214

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Whilst I dearly love mine.....1 set is prolly enough. (Not wanting to sound like whiz-his-name with the unfinished speakers) , but if you have never heard these ...welll...they are unlike most anything else. I'm sure there is better available, but many who hear them are stunned.

THis pair is fair priced if in the ad condition, tho we know that they will need refoaming, which is difficult.

Seller sure is not ebay pro, incurs extra fees by starting at $1450 with BIN $1500. Just do a fixed auction at $1500....oh well, took me a while to learn that too.

Methinks that you could do very well within the JBL brand for that much money. For me , I was just fulfilling an old dream from 1977, but will keep them for life.

Thanx Jim for the lead, I always enjoy reading 'bout them big OHM's...

ps..did you see this Sansui pre=amp he sold for 1k ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260051851214
    your welcome. wow thats a good amount for that pre, but it seems all your classic gear is setting new records every day now. REGARDS JIM

my truck only needs 4 tires to roll but having that extra one is always nice

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    my truck only needs 4 tires to roll but having that extra one is always nice
    Oh I hear you Jim...

but, I have the OHM 2XO's , 4412s ,4410s , etc...in reserve. If I spent any more $ on speakers, am sure the OL wud finally snap..

If I spent any more $ on speakers, am sure the OL wud finally snap..
    i hate it when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jim3860 View Post
    Hey Jim

If you decide to go for them , check that...

they are a mirrored pair.

make sure the domes aren't pushed in (affects sound)

check for updated crossovers.

Hey LoachTim

I called OHM's president about replacement tents for my F's as they have some small holes that stand out black against the brown cloth. They are $150 + shipping. Not for this cheep Guy.

Thot of recovering them. That un square cube tent cover did not look like fun. Soooo....today I went down and bought a package of RIT black clothes dye. Mixed up the brew and grabbed the OL's kitchen gloves and did the deed. WOW, did they come out nice. For $2 I went from 1970s brown to 2007 black.
    OHM stopped the brown 20 years ago as it doesn't age well and is a little different in every batch.

Can't see the black holes anymore ....

Before/after pictures?

b4 is early in the thread...here is after , they are much darker in person, this photo still shows the mahogany paneling thru them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Had a guy come over to buy some a/d/s HFs. He was going on about his JBL 4313's.
    After a bit, he looked over and said ..."what are those, they look really cool ??"

So I reluctantly demo'd the F's for him.

today I got this email back

Yeah it works great. It’s not the exact same but sounds exactly the same. I don’t think I’m going to get that much for them unless I re-finish.

I hooked them up and listened to them yesterday. Your Ohm’s spoiled them for me, I was so un-impressed. I’m now afraid to fire up my JBL’s.

Thanks,
    Mike

clmrt
    Reluctantly?

My ass!

Had a friendly gear competitor/trading bud over today for more deals (TT's for marantzs)...anyway he talked me into demoing the F's. He's the guy I got the Yammy C-4 from. This guy has more gear than any 20 normal people. His garage, basement and house are stacked with equipment. Not a newby.

His reactions were "I've never heard a more natural and solid speaker. The image is unlike anything I've ever heard" , it holds up anywhere in the room, addictive."Sounds like the instrument, not a speaker"

Its nice to hear another experienced listener confirm my conclusions. He has the biggest grin I've ever seen on him.

Thread Information