Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I must be living right ......

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    also , unexpectedly , they show the limited range of XM.
    Guess I'll have to turn on the nasty old 4412s for that

maybe an dynamic range expander of some sorts?

glad you are digging the Ohms.....

saw a few pairs cross CL here in the last few years, but no "F" model....

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    maybe an dynamic range expander of some sorts?

glad you are digging the Ohms.....

saw a few pairs cross CL here in the last few years, but no "F" model....
    thanx LG

There are lots of OHMs out there . The "F" was, I think, their "Everest" or "Paragon". At $4000 in 1977, they were out of reach for most. There is so much titanium used that even at that price they could not continue to produce and make a profit.
    Like most manufactures, they started out ambitious and then had to scale their product back to actually compete in the market. They are a small NY company , still in business.

Have traded 10 or 12 emails with the company president in the last 3 days. He makes me feel like he cares about "his children". Nice to get on-line tech support from the top. He has installed al least 30 pairs in high-end locations.

very happy.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Our old guitar player had a pair of these. I was very impressed with their overall sound and imaging. Sort of like what a 901 should have been like .

Two things though - they take a lot of power (200 watts is the lower-end of what you want), and they are fragile. One moment you're listening to beautiful music thinking "I'll just crank it up a bit more" and the next, pop...silence. I think he replaced the drivers in each one at least one before he realized they weren't for him.

Like other esoteric designs (planars come to mind), they're great for recreating the sound of live music at moderate levels. If you want the true concert experience though (with volume to match), blowing them up will get old fast.
    jblnut
    JBLNUT
    I relayed your concern to the company president.

My pair are sequential serialnos. , produced before 1978. One of the drivers is pre 78 and one post 78, showing that, YES , someone had blown a driver.
    They ship from the factory with a 4A fuse. The pres admitted that sometimes they blew too slow. He had me throttle waaaay back to 1A fuses. Have been running all afternoon at moderate volume levels on the 1A's with no problem . These guys are SO GOOD that I want them to last as long as I do.

addendum: Put up the Beatles LOVE - the 1A didnt hold, neither did the 2A , 3A seems to be hanging in there. This is the step proc recommended by OHM prez.

Sounds like a great idea. Fuses are a whole lot cheaper than those drivers....

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    All I was referring to was that in todays modern society, the majority like contemporary modern, which is not walnut. Dark speakers yes, but not particularly walnut.

-Storm.
    Time to ditch my 4345's, I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    My mint 4301B's and 4406's gotta go too, huh?
    Thankfully the 2245H's are in light oak cabs....but the glass top inserts are dark!
    My new L96's will have to be re veneered in birch....don't want to give them up quite yet, so I can fit in

Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    Thankfully the 2245H's are in light oak cabs....but the glass top inserts are dark!
    My new L96's will have to be re veneered in birch....don't want to give them up quite yet, so I can fit in
    Hey ...I wanna be "IN" too. Gonna need so much birch (unfinished) veneer to redo all my speakers. Prolly need to take out a second mortgage to do it. BUT, it will be worth it to be IN with the IN CROWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    Hey ...I wanna be "IN" too. Gonna need so much birch (unfinished) veneer to redo all my speakers. Prolly need to take out a second mortgage to do it. BUT, it will be worth it to be IN with the IN CROWD.
    You guys are incorrigible. Listen, I got your birch right here...

(edit)ERROR ALERT: The following is wrong; completely, utterly, totally wrong. Enjoy it.

JBL recently made the TiK, Performance, and Northridge E Series all available in a birch finish. Currently the Studio L Series continues to offer birch as does the Everest II DD66000. (The TiK and Everest II use real birch; the others are fake.)

While I have chosen not to get birch, apparently there was/is a contemporary market for it in speaker enclosure finishes.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 01-14-2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: pointing out asinine content

Gonna need so much birch (unfinished) veneer to redo all my speakers.
    Can walnut be bleached?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    You guys are incorrigible. Listen, I got your birch right here...

While I have chosen not to get birch, apparently there was/is a contemporary market for it in speaker enclosure finishes.
    Hey TD
    I am assuming you are correct as I've never seen you knowingly post BS , but I think all those speakers you mentioned are finished birch ? If we are calling unfinished=unsealed , then that invites all kinds of nasty problems. Unfinished looks like a tongue depressor and I hope that JBL does not make high end systems that look like tongue depressors.
    I have a pair of L36's in light oak. The OAk really projects an image of strength and solidarity, although this whole thread is about personal choices in cosmetics that.....as in all dimpled tweeter ads ......"Does not affect sound quality"

RIP 2009
    JBL recently made the TiK, Performance, and Northridge E Series all available in a birch finish. Currently the Studio L Series continues to offer birch as does the Everest II DD66000. (The TiK and Everest II use real birch; the others are fake.)
    I know the TiK series states "beech" - 'haven't looked at the other ones... Maple would also look similar.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    I know the TiK series states "beech" - 'haven't looked at the other ones... Maple would also look similar.

John
    I've got a bunch of contemporary furniture, some from IKEA, some from SCAN, and its either Beech or teak.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Dome, I think you confused birch and beech... beech has long been a favorite light wood in Europe. Birch is usually used in America for low cost kitchen cabinets, unfinished loudspeakers, and as a general paint grade plywood.

For the record, the DD66000 is available in Maple, not birch or beech.

Widget

Son of a beech!

I've got to stop posting in the beer thread and here at the same time. You are all correct, of course, and I withdraw all my erroneous birch comments. Of course, I was really trying to get everyone off Storm's back and managed to expose my backside at the same time.

Look, the emperor has no clothes! (That's a literary quote, not an expression of my status. )

All right, everyone, take a good whack:

I deserve it.

Back in the day, I had some custom 4530 horn cabs made out of 11 ply baltic birch....beautiful stuff....for pro sound use.....and, if you use enough walnut stain, it doesn't look too bad

Thread Information