Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I must be living right ......

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt View Post
    So, what you see is the back side of a seriously deep, down-firing 12" driver cone?

And that's all there is to it?
    I was wrong in my first reply to this. The cone does move. It is a 12 in , firing straight down into a 4.3 cf sealed cabinet filled with batting, covered with cloth to keep it from going all over when you remove the driver.
    The speaker , of course , has no crossover. The top section that radiates HF is titanium (even more expensive in 1977) , then lower on the cone is stainless for MF and then lower is paper for LF. I was kinda freaked, looking at horizontal depressions all around the paper. OHM's president assured me that they come from the factory that way and these were position calculated for dampening.

Have been doing fuse testing last 2 days and now they seem very stable on 3A. (they shipped with 4A)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hello SEAWOLF97

Scanned this out of my 1975 Audio Hi Fi Handbook. Thought you might like it.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rob

Thank you very much. It confirmed much of what I've been hearing this last week. Wish I could email the sound to you.
    I d/l'ed the image , desaturated in PSCS2 and emailed to OHMs president. Who knows ? Maybe it'll end up on their web site ?

I know SOTA 1979 is different than SOTA 2007 , but darn , they are really beautiful , and NO , these aren't my first speakers. (more like #50)

again, thanx very much,
    TOM

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Can walnut be bleached?
    Kinda like a "Michael Jackson" signature edition ?

I had read in reviews that these OHM speakers MUST HAVE 100-200 wpc to even operate.
    When I brought them home , the Marantz 2230 (30wpc, tho many say that is a very conservative 30) was up running the 4412s. Hooked up the OHMs and thought they sounded great. I dont run super loud , but all kept telling me "they must have big power". Soooo, I swapped in the big black ugly 110wpc Denon.

Everyday for a week running on the Denon I kept missing the Marantz sound. Soooo, tonight I cudn't stand it anymore and swapped the Marantz back in. They sound super, on less power.

As long as I dont drive them into clipping, what is the downside of this swap ??

J.A.F.S.

AMP

Seawolf -- look for a used BGW 750C in EbaY. Buy it if you can get it for under $200. Renew the power supply capacitors. (these caps usually go sour on the 30 year old power amps) Use it on the Ohm F speakers. You will be pleasantly surprised.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    Seawolf -- look for a used BGW 750C in EbaY. Buy it if you can get it for under $200. Renew the power supply capacitors. (these caps usually go sour on the 30 year old power amps) Use it on the Ohm F speakers. You will be pleasantly surprised.
    They all look BEAT!!! One sold for $150 + $30 shipping. One just as beat now at $130 + $60 shipping.

J.A.F.S.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    They all look BEAT!!! One sold for $150 + $30 shipping. One just as beat now at $130 + $60 shipping.
    BGW 750C amps are rock solid -- BGW still supplies replacement assemblies. I'd buy it. A little sanding and black spray paint will make it aesthetically pleasing. Again, replace the power supply caps. You won't be disappointed.

I have six of these beasts - and they work very well.
    They do have a transistor sound that "tube-o-philes" don't particularly like -- but their slew rate is high enough that they can reproduce a 20 kHz square wave with good fidelity. They sound accurate -- but somewhat analytical. I like that type of sound... The 750C has a huge PSU and the output devices can tolerate a 2 ohm load.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

[quote=loach71;144475]BGW 750C amps are rock solid -- BGW still supplies replacement assemblies. I'd buy it. quote]

Sheepishly SW answers:

I have a BGW 250d that I've never used. Powers up, looks good. Don't have a pre-amp, except for a little dynaco PAT4 (?). The BGW says 150wpc and there is a setting on rear for 4 ohm . maybe I'll get unlazy and cjeck the pup out.

J.A.F.S.

Talking BGW

[quote=SEAWOLF97;144482]
    BGW 750C amps are rock solid -- BGW still supplies replacement assemblies. I'd buy it. quote]

Sheepishly SW answers:

I have a BGW 250d that I've never used. Powers up, looks good. Don't have a pre-amp, except for a little dynaco PAT4 (?). The BGW says 150wpc and there is a setting on rear for 4 ohm . maybe I'll get unlazy and check the pup out.
    The "F" will like the 750C -- I tried the smaller BGW amps on them and could hear the difference made by the 750C. If you listen at QUIET levels the 250D should work well. All the talk about the harshness of the 750C is just YAP YAP YAP. If the speaker is properly equalized (either by passive crossover, active crossover or an EQ) the 750C sounds very civilized. The amp doesn't use massive amounts of negative feedback like its 1970's cousins -- so it doesn't have T.I.M. issues. As I said before, tube lovers won't like it -- the 750C doesn't sound warm and rounded -- it is dry and analytical -- but on the other hand, it is NOT harsh. My "F' speakers run a 750C -- and I have all sorts of MOSFET hi-power amps to use -- but the 750C wins on this particular speaker.

Happy DEROS from work...

P.S. if you want to sell that 250D you know whom to call...
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

[quote=loach71;144516]
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

The "F" will like the 750C -- I tried the smaller BGW amps on them and could hear the difference made by the 750C. If you listen at QUIET levels the 250D should work well.P.S. if you want to sell that 250D you know whom to call...
    Hey Tim ....thanx for nfo. You have "F's". What is your impression ?? (unless you are deaf from all that loach time , (somehow my hearing survived the UH-1B whomp,whomp) ).

John Strobeen told me that the main problem with the F's came when used with PhaseLinear 7000's. Thats why I have been ramping down my fuse size to the smallest that won't readily blow.

J.A.F.S.

Lightbulb

The "Fuse Linear" (pardon the pun ) amps just couldn't handle low impedance loads. The BGW amps like the 250D and 750C were quite stable down to 2 ohms. The "F" speakers have some really nasty impedance dips that FRY amps like the P.L.

I've had my "F" for over thirty years and they always wind up being driven with the BGW 750D. No pops, farts, fizzles, flames or smoke. It just works.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

I've had my "F" for over thirty years and they always wind up being driven with the BGW 750D. No pops, farts, fizzles, flames or smoke. It just works.
    Discovered a long lost Luxman R-3055 receiver yesterday that needs power switch, will fix that today and give it a try AND have a Hafler pre-amp on the way so as to try out the BGW.

LATER: got the LUX fixed. more wpc's, but the Marantz sounded better.

J.A.F.S.

750C

Seawolf -- keep cruising EbaY for a deal on a BGW 750C. With that amp you will be able to enjoy all the dynamic range offered by the "F" speakers.
    I'm looking for 2 more pairs to build an upstairs home theater..
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

I was looking at Lincoln Walsh's patent
    http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=...iew+first+page

and the Walsh driver is truly a departure from everything else. Also was checking out the only other company to use the Walsh driver....German Physiks.
    Super expensive speakers. Anyway, their veneer page is beautiful
    http://www.german-physiks.de/NewFiles/Veneer.html (sorry, no unfinished birch, but there is Italian Birch) Wish JBL used some of these exotics

Thread Information