Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I must be living right ......

J.A.F.S.
    It is a pity Walsh passed away
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Tim

here is an email exchange with John-OHM prez.

looks like backswing on the cone produces BASS ?

Hi Tom,

Removing stuffing tends to reduce the deep bass and make the mid-bass excessive.

When the cone goes down, air from the room moves inward, when the cone goes up, the air from the room moves away--bass!

A less understood system is how a 12 cone moving up & down creates treble -- check our website.

Good Listening!

John

In a message dated 1/21/2007 10:25:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tom writes:
    John

I have been enjoying the F's all weekend. My question is:

Dont understand how a 12 in. driver firing straight down into a sealed 4.3 cf box full of battling transmits bass.

which leads to the question: how does removing batting affect bass ?

thanx
    TOM
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Discovered a long lost Luxman R-3055 receiver yesterday that needs power switch, will fix that today and give it a try AND have a Hafler pre-amp on the way so as to try out the BGW.

LATER: got the LUX fixed. more wpc's, but the Marantz sounded better.
    found a Technics SA-GX770 in storage , was never tested , 125wpc , hooked it to the F's. Yup they like the extra power.

Cant wait for the Hafler pre-amp so I can try out the BGW 250D

perrydu

lucky dog

$135???????? You make me sick!!!! I bought a pair of F's in 1976 and a long series of events, including blown drivers, theft, handmade cabinets, ebay purchases and repairs leave me with a pair that still sound great. There is a rough looking pair on ebay right now starting at $750, but no bids. Another pair being offered mentions with surprising honesty the smoke that came from the voice coil at one point. The tempting offer on ebay right now is a pair of OHM A's. These are extremely rare and supposedly even better than the F's. They do not work and I would be afraid to risk $1000 on the chance that I could get them fixed. I had my F's refoamed at Audio Atlanta and have been quite pleased with the work. OHM claims they cannot be repaired properly but mine seem pretty close to the original sound. I drive mine with a Carver M400, I really don't know the damping factor for it. The F's supposedly need a factor of 8 or above.

Quote Originally Posted by perrydu View Post
    The tempting offer on ebay right now is a pair of OHM A's. These are extremely rare and supposedly even better than the F's.
    Those A's are 18 inch !!! Must be huge cabinet.
    Still searching for the right power source for mine. Have hooked up 4 different receivers with varying degrees of success.

perrydu
    I started with a Technics receiver that had 100 watts per channel but later switched to the Marantz 2325. It sounded great but the whole system was carried away by a burgler. I got the Carver M400 which supposedly puts out about 200w/ch and have been happy ever since. I blew two drivers with the Marantz but the Carver has some sort of speaker protection built in. I trigger it regularly when I try to play something with a lot of bass. I have been driving F's for 20 years with the Carver without any further driver damage. I am afraid to switch amps and risk blowing out the speakers. Certain recordings really stand out on these speakers. There is a song on the Heart "Little Queen" CD that starts with the sound of people tossing coins as to a street band. With the F's properly positioned you can point to the exact spot where the coin lands. My favorite is "World Machine" by Level 42. It really showcases the range of these speakers.

$135???????? You make me sick!!!!
    heres a cheap pair on da bay

Starting bid:US $2,450.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3313&rd=1&rd=1

is that SICK , ,,,, new or old version ??

OLD VERSION OF SICK

Pronunciation: 'sik
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English sek, sik, from Old English sEoc; akin to Old High German sioh sick
    ------------------------- --------------
    1. Not feeling good.

2 a (1) : affected with disease or ill health : AILING (2) : of, relating to, or intended for use in sickness <sick pay> <a sick ward>

NEW VERSION

Now used as the newest word to replace cool. Something that you've never seen before.
    Old version:

Mary,"I feel sick to my stomach".

Jess,"Ask the teacher for a Nurses' Pass".

New Version
    Keegan:This Calculator is sick!

Kass:That outfit is sick!

The tempting offer on ebay right now is a pair of OHM A's. These are extremely rare and supposedly even better than the F's. They do not work and I would be afraid to risk $1000 on the chance that I could get them fixed.
    SOMEBODY PULLed the trigger on them at $1000 BIN.

picked up a pair of OHM model D's today. 2 way 10in. , sound pretty nice.

Also after Loach71/Tim's advise, I hauled out the BGW 250d and today traded other surplus for a Hafler DH-101 pre-amp and even ordered a pair of rca2monoQuarterInPlug adapters, so, with any luck I will be able to hook the BWG to the OHM's,
    (will test out on POS speakers first) , sometime next week.

got a pair of mono 1/4 phono plugs today and butchered up some patch cords and spliced up what I needed to connect the Hafler pre to the BGW 250d. Connected a pair of Optiwus speakers and a portable CD player.

WOW ...I can hear the potential.
    Will thoroughly check it out before hooking to OHMs.

Thanx much Loach71 for your guidance

A nice '70s or '80s era receiver is fine for background music, dorms, and parties, but if you ever sit down and really listen to this stuff, proper electronics makes quite a difference. With a fine pair of speakers like the Ohms, what is upstream is even more important. The Hafler preamp is certainly better than the front end of most receivers, but I know you can find even more transparent and quiet preamps out there... some of the BGW amps were pretty good. I don't recall ever listening to the 250 D, but listening through a great amp will surprise you.

Here was a fellow forum member's revelation a while back: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=8131

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    .. some of the BGW amps were pretty good. I don't recall ever listening to the 250 D, but listening through a great amp will surprise you.Widget
    Thanx for the good NFO , Mr. W. The hafler will have to do for now. I get the third degree everytime a new piece of hardware enters the house (about 4x/week).
    I've got tons of midfi receivers and hardly ever listen to FM, now that XM and CD are always on, I prolly will not add a tuner.
    The BGW seems very clean and I shud be getting 126 wpc @ 4 ohms. plus it has a large damping factor of greater than 230 to 1, and I keep reading that the OHM F needs at least 10 to 1.

From the lit, it looks like lots of speaker protection circuits. Cant afford to blow the F's, at this point I do not think anyone cud repair them, and I'd like them to last as long as I do.

again , thanx for your continued help

J.A.F.S.
    got a pair of mono 1/4 phono plugs today and butchered up some patch cords and spliced up what I needed to connect the Hafler pre to the BGW 250d. Connected a pair of Optiwus speakers and a portable CD player.

Thanx much Loach71 for your guidance
    My pleasure to help another rotor-head...
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Welll, I was checking the BGW/Hafler combo while the OHMs were running off a Technics AV receiver when the sound stopped. Checked it all out, the receiver was on , signal coming in , no o/p to speakers. It must of known a replacement was immanent.

Got up at 8 Sunday AM and swapped in the BGW/Haf. Still dialing it in , but noticed a big improvement in bottom end output.
    Ran them all day yesterday and about 50 percent gain on the amp. Case did not even get warm. It must be loafing.
    Hearing more detail. This is my first venture past mid-fi , hope I don't fall down the slippery slope to insanely overpriced exotics.

Quite happy with my "budget system" (living room)

( OHM F's , BGW 250d , Hafler dh-101 , Carver TL 3100 CD , NuReality SRS , ADC 310 EQ , Sony MiniDisk , XM , Teac V-909RX cassette , JBL 4412's)

J.A.F.S.
    Welll, I was checking the BGW/Hafler combo while the OHMs were running off a Technics AV receiver when the sound stopped. Checked it all out, the receiver was on , signal coming in , no o/p to speakers. It must of known a replacement was immanent.

Got up at 8 Sunday AM and swapped in the BGW/Haf. Still dialing it in , but noticed a big improvement in bottom end output.
    Ran them all day yesterday and about 50 percent gain on the amp. Case did not even get warm. It must be loafing.
    Hearing more detail. This is my first venture past mid-fi , hope I don't fall down the slippery slope to insanely overpriced exotics.

Quite happy with my "budget system" (living room)

( OHM F's , BGW 250d , Hafler dh-101 , Carver TL 3100 CD , NuReality SRS , ADC 310 EQ , Sony MiniDisk , XM , Teac V-909RX cassette , JBL 4412's)

You've already progressed way past mid-fi -- considering the original prices on the Ohm F speakers and the BGW 250D. Snoop around EbaY for a BGW 202 or 203 control center -- it will surprise you. Try to obtain another BGW 250D so you can run bridged..
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Thread Information