Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I must be living right ......

Talking I must be living right ......

remember this old thread ??

Perfect Speaker? Let's hear your vote!

and my answer was

OHM F.

(guess I haven't heard many super high ends).....

then Ken answers

There's a ghost from the past.....I have not seen a pair of those in many years.

I had only seen 1 pair in my life..They were so good , that I never forgot them. Kinda rare, and the ones for sale are torn up or unrepairable.

Well, pulled the trigger on a set today. (at about 1k under going rate)...they are in about 98 percent cosmetic and 100 percent functional.

The story goes...seller did some landscaping work for an old man. Didn't have enough for the bill. Paid in cash plus this set of OHM F's. Seller only wanted the difference that he didn't get in cash.
    I called about 5 minutes after the ad went up. Seller says phone started going crazy after I called. He took lookers in order as you should.

Hauled them home and hooked them up after an inspection. WOW , I know its heresy but they dwarf the 4410's

specsP1972 - 1984 originally $900 - $3995 per paird100 - 200 watts )4 ohms 37 - 17,000z
    87 dB

from the web

The Ohm F was the most popular of the first generation Walsh speakers. It used a 12'' inverted omnidirectional driver operating from 35 - 17,000 Hz. The Ohm Fs were internationally recognized as ''one of the best...if... not the best...speaker in the world''. It received reviews from as far away as Australia and Thailand as well as throughout Europe and America.

pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Cool!

Awesome story Seawolf.

I've not seen a pair of Ohm speakers in 25 years. Nice find.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post
    Awesome story Seawolf.

I've not seen a pair of Ohm speakers in 25 years. Nice find.
    Oh yeah , he said (fwiw) that the old man told him that he had them restored before putting them in storage. With all drivers working perfectly, I guess I believe him.

clmrt
    So, what you see is the back side of a seriously deep, down-firing 12" driver cone?

And that's all there is to it?

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt View Post
    So, what you see is the back side of a seriously deep, down-firing 12" driver cone?

And that's all there is to it?
    not really. they radiate in waves off the back side of the cone, which doesn't move. read up on ohm walsh design , really quite innovative.

http://www.ohmspeakers.com/coherentlinesourcedriver.cfm

J.A.F.S.

Lucky SQUID!

I have an original set of Ohm F's. They are an interesting speaker.
    Make sure you get a power amp with huge current drive capability -- these speakers have some nasty impedance troughs.

Have fun with your new toys.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

I'm not saying I wouldn't grab a pair if I could at the right price, but only for historical significance. Wasn't there performance very subjective even in their prime? And aren't they about 75db 1w/1m. Actually I have tried to land a pair a couple of times but mainly because they are something out of HiFi history. Congratulations on your find. Doesn't Walsh still service them for a price?

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    And aren't they about 75db 1w/1m. Doesn't Walsh still service them for a price?
    87 dB

walsh does not service them. They keep same cabinet and sell you a can driver. Ohm allows $3,995 trade in value to wards new speakers.

Had a bad head cold and woke up at 4am today, could not get back to sleep. So.. got up to do the big (44inches, 70 pounds) Ohms.

Put on new binding posts that will accept monster wire. repainted the black base. re glued some joints on the tents, picked white paint splatters off the walnut and tents , oxycleaned the fabric, scratch covered the veneer and lemon oiled them.

My objective opinion is WOW !! these guys are very airy. wonderfully imaging . thunderous bass when program calls for it. striking appearance.
    Had to dial back the EQ settings that were set for the 4412s.
    have you ever heard a pair of speakers 25+ years ago and never forgot them as you were so impressed.?? That 1977 demo was the first and only time I had even seen these in my life. (until yeaterday). Vowed that if I ever saw a pair in good shape at a reasonable price, I would get em'. (kinda like I did with my high school dream Porsche)

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    My objective opinion is WOW !!
    Congratulations... I'd love to give a pair a listen, but I assume you meant, your subjective opinion.

Had to dial back the EQ settings that were set for the 4412s.
    You should remove the equalizer from your system completely and allow them to impress you... it might take a day or two for you to "retrain" your ears. After you really get a handle on their sound, you may want to return to the equalizer, but I expect you will hear the sonic signature of the equalizer and you may prefer the unequalized sound... your Ohm speakers are quite revealing and may show you short comings in other parts of your system.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    your Ohm speakers are quite revealing and may show you short comings in other parts of your system.

Widget
    THanx Mr.W

I decided to educate myself quickly on these and have been reading for the last hour.
    They are 4 ohm. The Marantz 2230 was up so I am using that. It sounds great, but I know that it is not recommended. Have run at low volumes today as not want to get into clipping situation. Looks like tomorrow the Marantz comes off line and the Denon 110wpc goes back in. Too bad, since I really like the 2230

I like reading reviews and clipped some of what I just read. Close this out if not interested.

There is no loudspeaker as pure in it's design as the Ohm F. With no crossovers to introduce distortion and time delay, expect to hear the sweetest,smoothest sound you can imagine from a loudspeaker. To pick an experience, listening to pipe organ music, one gets the feeling that these speakers are alive and breathing. You truly feel the air moving through the organ, These are not speakers, they are musical instruments.
    With the speakers properly positioned in the room, you can expect the widest and deepest sound stage that you've ever heard ( so long as the electronics are up to the task ). Instruments and notes float like you've never heard before. Comparing this type of presentation to ANY box speaker is pointless. Some e-stat's and planars come close in terms of dimensionality and air but typically lack the bass authority that the F's so handily demonstrate
    Strengths:
    widest & deepest soundstage of any speaker made, maintains tonal balance even at low volume, extremely solid bass foundation, seamless midrange, revealing treble, etc...

Weaknesses:
    Will not play "super" loud, driver "warbles" presenting vibrato effect if trying to reproduce deep bass notes at high volume levels, internal wiring is HORRIBLE, binding posts are junk, not forgiving of poor electronics at all, requires high QUALITY amplification but not necessarily high power for best results, very low impedance that they present to amps, more difficult to optimally position than more conventional speakers, etc...

Similar Products Used:
    There is NOTHING similar. Currently own speakers from the following companies / designers with most of them having slight tweaks or upgrades performed to them: AR 9's & 90's in my HT system, Nestorovic, Genesis, Klipsch ( La Scala's and Heresy's ), various E-stat's, a few custom built designs, etc...

When set up properly (several feet from a wall) and powered with a decent amp the F produced a HUGH soundstage that correctly replicated live music. The imaging was astounding, not necessarily "pinpoint", but a realistic portrayal of
    live music.

Incredibly smooth, natural, seamless sound with a very "high-end" quality to it. Can listen for hours on end without tiring. They sound full and natural even at very low listening levels... remarkable.

nice grab dude.hang onto that horse shoe

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    nice grab dude.hang onto that horse shoe
    yup. 2 days ago got 13inch JVC TV with remote on CL for $5. Today got HP laserjet 4L in box for $5. both work great.

last OHM F's went for $1150+$200 shipping on eBay. I paid exactly 10 percent of that. Guess I can post the ad now that done.

Ohm Walsh Speakers earily 80's style (Sound Great) - $135

(Ohm speakers)12 inch, 4 ohms, 100 watts, Great condition, deep bass, the speakers cost like 2,000 each back in the 80's top of the line. if intersted call steve at 503-xxx-xxxx please leave a message, night work best or email. $135 for the pair.

Funny thing is that the prior owner was trying to run them with an Aiwa boombox. he wired L and R speaker wires togeather to 1 speaker. (but did use Monster cable)

Didn't sound too good

FWIW: I actually turned down a discount. He offered to give me $10 off for gas due to the 20 mile drive. I figured $135 was good enough already.

Since Portland is in a recession right now...

Funny thing is that the prior owner was trying to run them with an Aiwa boombox. he wired L and R speaker wires togeather to 1 speaker. (but did use Monster cable)

Didn't sound too good

FWIW: I actually turned down a discount. He offered to give me $10 off for gas due to the 20 mile drive. I figured $135 was good enough already.
    wouldn't it do your heart good to take the other 90% down to the Salvation Army and spread the joy around?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    wouldn't it do your heart good to take the other 90% down to the Salvation Army and spread the joy around?
    does one have to do with the other ?

a private transaction between 2 consenting adults.

Just for your gratification, I will tell you that I donate at least 10X more than any normal person. In addition to my donations, being the only person in the family with a truck, I also donate my brothers items and the in-laws items too. Now you know.

Thread Information