Thread: where to get Duraflex?

where to get Duraflex?

anyone know where to get the newset form of Duraflex they use on the SRX700 series and vertec cab's...im tryn to restore sum old carpeted double 15's. I found something close at autozone..that painted truck bedliner stuff so far.

I've used a product called DuraTex in the past with good success. It looks to be a close match, not too expensive, and easy to apply.

I just had a look and it looks like my project made it onto their website
    http://www.acrytech.com/DuraTex.htm

Be sure to mention my name, maybe I'll get a commission.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Vincenzo View Post
    anyone know where to get the newset form of Duraflex they use on the SRX700 series and vertec cab's...im tryn to restore sum old carpeted double 15's. I found something close at autozone..that painted truck bedliner stuff so far.

Durafalex* is truckbed liner...it's JBL's tradename for it, same as Radian's "Duraradian" coating and some other mfgr's have their own marketing buzzword for their "proprietary" coating....Rhino Lining, Line-X, etc. is basically the same stuff

Some polymer coatings are sprayed on with high pressure two component, "mix-at-the nozzle" equipment.

Some are pre-mixed two-component and loaded into a spray hopper, or brush or apply with a roller....they have longer open times before cure and usually have a softer feel with more flexibility and higher tensile strength.

It takes a little practice to make it look good.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Transtar Tex Coat Chip Guard PN 4313

I've used this product to recoat the wheel wells in my Eldo. The "Texture" can be varied by either the spraying distance (spray tip to work piece) or the "Push on the button"..."Texture pattern/size can be increased by depressing the spray valve LESS. Less pressure will permit MORE texture."

4313 is black. The final gloss is determined by how you spray it. Heavy on the button (Less Texture) close to work piece (Wet Coat), will yeild a finish closer to gloss, than semi-gloss.

Easy on the button, further away (Drier Coat), gives a semi-gloss, closer to flat....Best if you plan to over-coat with clear...

It's been over three years since I "Dressed" the wheel wells. The coating
    still looks fresh and hasn't been chipped away ....go figure....

I just came across the thread JohnW did with his awesome speakers and found a pic of them here:

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119&catid=19771

Free products maybe?

You mentioned you rolled the product. I am getting ready to finish a pair of speakers and thought I would give this a try. Could you elaborate JohnW on the rollers you used? Also did you have to out-gas the cabinets afterwards?

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Here's the link to John's project thread:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9695

Hi,
    I used a thick wool nap roller found at the paint store, used to apply textured paint to walls. The roller is about 6-8 inches wide. When applying the paint, you may have better luck using a little wider roller. I found that you were able to see the various crossover areas from the roller just slightly.
    As far as out gas, the paint is very low odor. There is some smell when applying the paint, but it is gone in about 20 minutes.

One last question, did you use any type of primer? I see that you painted over MDF as I am going to be doing. The literature states you can paint directly but I figured ask now before I start!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Got this off a techsheet. It's a JBL part number for a Duraflex Repair Kit

NOTE: DURAFLEX REPAIR KIT

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    One last question, did you use any type of primer? I see that you painted over MDF as I am going to be doing. The literature states you can paint directly but I figured ask now before I start!

Yank
    No, I didn't use primer. I put it right on the bare mdf.

Could it be used on the rear of horns to provide damping?

Thread Information