Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hookup wire upgrade while im in there. Yay or Nay?

There is some truly hilarious stuff on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Yeppers, I can see all those electrons putting their little shit waders on to make it that last foot or so. Those poor dumb bastards...
    They're supposed to be neat. They're neato.
    My personal favorite...
    Unfortunately for China there simply aren't enough global resources left to sustain their alledged ascendancy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    And I know that if she weighs the same as a duck she's a witch...
    Not big enough for Texas but certainly too big for Rhode Island.
    "Wire we still arguin' about this?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    ...And just to keep it about JBL any one who has ever had any experience with the substance that is widely presumed to have bought all the JBL's for the Dead's wall of sound...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

J.A.F.S.

Testing

This thread points to the need for double-blind testing...
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Now were going into DBT!! Heaven help us!!!!

Rob

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    It's all fun and games until someone loses and eye... then it's just fun...

That was a good one!! End this thread on it and move to Rolf's thread so we can get the "real" answers... or somehow running, scissors, and parents will enter this thread

Mark

Well I look at it this way. It's a subjective hobby with lot's of contradictions. In the end all that matters is you have fun and enjoy yourself. If for one guy it's a Bose radio and the other it's a 100K system the end result is the same. We could argue all point's audio till the cows come home but what's important is we all have fun and let the other guy do what he wants to keep himself happy without passing judgement on him.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    Why does this one always take all the fun out of it? If there is someone in the room who doesn't believe, does that skew the results?

It's no worse than homeopathy, but could it be?

I've got it. You take cheap wires and put them in a box with real expensive ones for a while

Double-blind testing has been done, and it's linked elsewhere in these forums.

What I find particularly insulting is the suggestion that anyone who can NOT hear the difference either has bad hearing or crappy equipment, or both, and need not participate, since they are clearly not up to the task.

That'd be me, but I offer Zilch Wonder Cable for free, anyway.

[Maybe I'll turn the franchise over to Thom.... ]

I don't disagree but if I was asked to offer advice which tends to happen around this place I would not piss the guy around and suggest he spent a weeks wages XYZ cables without reviewing the whole system.
    Hello Ian

Sounds like good advice to me.

Rob

What I find particularly insulting is the suggestion that anyone who can NOT hear the difference either has bad hearing or crappy equipment, or both, and need not participate, since they are clearly not up to the task.
    Well that's one of the reasons these discusions are potentially so inflamatory. That's the easy way out, just like telling the person who said it it's all in his head and he needs to do a DBT. Both positions are extreme and do nothing to add any substance to the conversation.

Rob

"What I find particularly insulting is the suggestion that anyone who can NOT hear the difference either has bad hearing or crappy equipment, or both, and need not participate, since they are clearly not up to the task."

Which is especially suspect because most of these cableistas claim big differences not subtle ones. One would expect that if it were such a big deal one would easily hear these differences on any gear.

Then there's the fact that most of the people I know who think wires are a big deal have systems I think are lousy anyway, it's the chinless distortion and compression generators they use as speakers they should worry about and not their "interconnects".

Of course one understands that a wire can be designed to effect the sound which brings forth the question why would one do such a thing when equalizers are readily available. But equalizers are an unfashionable and outre way to effect your system's sound but wires that act as EQ are acceptable.

In other words it's as much about fashion as sound.

No one has ever answered me this simple question----if wires are such a BIG deal how did it get by Hilliard, Lansing, Olson, Voight and all those old time guys.

I have a theory about spoiled, self-centered Baby Boomers and the rise of audio lunacy and the change from "hi-fi" to "high end".

No one has ever answered me this simple question----if wires are such a BIG deal how did it get by Hilliard, Lansing, Olson, Voight and all those old time guys.

I have a theory about spoiled, self-centered Baby Boomers and the rise of audio lunacy and the change from "hi-fi" to "high end".
    I think it didn't get by them...because at the time...the impedances were mostly 16 ohms and not much current output from the tube amps.

Most of the effects from "inferior" speaker cables arose from really high current output solid state amps into very low efficiency, low impedance speakers....that need welding cable for power transfer.

I can't argue too much with your closing line.

That's called marketeering....and selling for dollars what takes pennies to manufacture.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    ...I mean, i dont know why people spend big bucks on speaker cables then have the last foot or so inside the speaker be complete crap...
    And don't forget the run from the driver terminals to the voice coil. Haven't heard a speaker company announce break through technology in voice coil leads...yet.

DavidF

P.T. Barnum's observation that one can fool some of the people some of the time fails to recognize that some people INSIST on being fooled, because they find the evident truth to be tedious and mundane.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

J.A.F.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Why does this one always take all the fun out of it? If there is someone in the room who doesn't believe, does that skew the results?

It's no worse than homeopathy, but could it be?

I've got it. You take cheap wires and put them in a box with real expensive ones for a while
    I'm not taking the "fun out of it".... I am simply suggesting the use of a double blind test to remove personal prejudices from the decision matrix. There was no hidden agenda in my comment. Deciding what sounds best without knowing which cable is being used is a defensible test procedure...

Get some audiophile friends together, lay out the cable runs. Add beer and pretzels. Have one person (non-voting) be the cable switcher. Audition selected music at the same levels. Have the non-voting person switch the cables -- and do NOT let the voting persons know which cable is being used. Do this several times. Vote on the results. Let the results point where they may. A simple solution to a complex problem -- and it involves BEER!
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Thread Information