Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hookup wire upgrade while im in there. Yay or Nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    "In English...a "wire" is a single conductor, be it multiple strands or a solid."

Of course a wire need not even be a conductor such as in wire rope which is also called "cable".

Midwesterner that I am I hold with plain speaking. Point being that when some audiophiles want to make more of something than it really is they use highfalutin terms like speaker "cable" and "interconnect".

If you buy it at the hardware store it's wire, if you buy the same thing at a hi-fi store it's a cable.
    You just contradicted yourself and insulted a whole population of "mid-westerners" that usually pride themselves on good 'ol 'merican accuracy.

If you went to the hardware store and asked for "wire" they send you to the wire section, or ask "electrical, or baling?"

If you asked for "wire rope" they'd ask you for "what diameter and tensil strength?" "Wire rope" is made up of muitiple strands of "wire" and is not the same thing, is it?

So by your own definition, "wire" and "cable" mean distinctly different things.

I rest my case, too.

Have fun cabling those Model 19's to the ceiling....or is that wiring?

Maybe we should just switch to chains....that's easier to unnerstand.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Can we focus on the topic at hand and stop slitting hairs about what a wire or a cable is. We all know exactly what the conversation is about. Be a good idea to leave personalities out of it as well. I have seen enough of these threads turn into fist fights on other forums. Discussions about audible differences in cables are and always will be a polarizing topic.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Can we focus on the topic at hand and stop slitting hairs about what a wire or a cable is. We all know exactly what the conversation is about. Be a good idea to leave personalities out of it as well. I have seen enough of these threads turn into fist fights on other forums. Discussions about audible differences in cables are and always will be a polarizing topic.

Rob
    That a great idea, Rob....Sorry
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Discussions about audible differences in cables are and always will be a polarizing topic.
    And about as reliable a waste of time as talking about capacitors.

bringing the topic back into focus -- ok, its been established that girth (thats the exact technical description of guage) is important. And yes-- after 30 years of mold and grime my cables may have corroded, so yes, perhaps a recable with girthy wire/cable/copper booga booga is in order.

having said that... and going along with what others have said in this topic... has anyone mustered the courage to get into the speaker terminals with a Dremel tool and hollow them out a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    And about as reliable a waste of time as talking about capacitors.

i think capacitors make a big difference, but lets not go there in this topic.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    has anyone mustered the courage to get into the speaker terminals with a Dremel tool and hollow them out a bit more?
    Why? Just throw them in the trashcan and buy
    Big as Texas Posts

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/ACCESSORIES.html

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    i think capacitors make a big difference, but lets not go there in this topic.
    The point is... talking to any of you about them is a reliable waste of time... case in point, this POS thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Why? Just throw them in the trashcan and buy
    Big as Texas Posts

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/ACCESSORIES.html

Those are nice.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by doyall View Post
    Those are nice.
    PE has some decent ones too.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1245

Not big enough for Texas but certainly too big for Rhode Island.

"So by your own definition, "wire" and "cable" mean distinctly different things."

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. And some guys call welding rod "wire" as in "go down to the toolroom and get me some 5/32 low-hi wire. And a Polish sausage".

And "Wire we still arguin' about this?"

Steel screws hold on JBL Posts! They are magnetic..

That being the case I would have to agree on the capacitors..reliably. Using nice wire seemed superfluous without replacing the posts.

The terminations as just as important as your wire. A weak termination will not reliably pass the current. Just like starting your car. Use heavy guage wire for the large current loads like woofers and finer gauge for low current flows like tweeters. Works like a charm.

I used a floor standing drill press and clamped the rear plate down before drilling out the holes.

Oops, I think all the vintage JBL driver posts are dun the same way.

I want my mummy, I want my mummy.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Gary L
    I am hoping that some day soon they make a wire that sounds better then the dam speaker they get hooked to.

About the only argument for wire that is even worth mention is longer distance requires heavier wire.

The couple of feet inside your box could not make enough difference to even bother with as long as it is not damaged or oxidized under the shield or at the connections.

Gary

The only part of it that really bothers me is the large amount of revenue that changes hands and I can't figure any way to tap even the tiniest percentage of it. Obviously you can't tell anyone what they hear but if the only reason Mac used it was so people could get past tripping on the wire/cable and check out their equipment it must be awfully subtle that they, with a lot of listening and testing didn't see it, and it's kind of like church when you're expected to experience something. Who's going to be the one to say they didn't. And just to keep it about JBL any one who has ever had any experience with the substance that is widely presumed to have bought all the JBL's for the Dead's wall of sound Knows that the brain can tell you anything. The best the wire should be able to do is nothing. Anything more than nothing is not as good. I've never bought expensive wires but we've all bought something to add to our systems that other people are sure couldn't do anything. I don't know if they still exist but you used to see little covers for the telephone earpiece in British HiFi mags. It was to keep it from vibrating sympathetically and downgrading your listening experience. I just wish I could figure out how to get some of that money. When most people had TV antennas and were using 300 ohm twin lead, we were asking a lot more of it than you are of your speaker lead not exactly the same things but look at the frequency and the level of the signal. Even corrosion, except at connections is unlikely to have any effect unless you loose enough of the wires cross section that your effective wire gage becomes to small and the series resistance becomes more than just theoretical. On connections or terminations corrosion becomes very important.

Thread Information