Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hookup wire upgrade while im in there. Yay or Nay?

I use 12-gauge wire and try to use oxygen free copper, but sometimes just use 12-gauge low voltage wire. I only use silver-bearing solder in my conections and crossover networks.

But 12-gauge doesn't fit in the speaker terminals. What I do here is strip back some wire and solder up the ends with silver solder. I then use a sanding wheel to round down the ends to fit within the speaker terminals.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    I use 12-gauge wire
    I use 10-gauge wire...

I use 10-gauge wire...
    Oh yeah huh! I use 6 but pigtail it with 22 so it fits in the little terminal blocks of the drivers. Why don't they make them bigger?? I went to redo all my inductors in 12 gage but they wouldn't fit in the cabinets

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    "wires are not cables."

Maybe not in Norwegian but in English they are.
    In English...a "wire" is a single conductor, be it multiple strands or a solid.

A "cable" is made up from a bundle of "wires", or multiple conductors.

The only real thing to consider when choosing a cable is price. If it costs more it must be gooder.

In reality, though, the saying "size matters" is the most correct....oh... and keep it clean.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

This (Cable stuff) has been discussed over and over again, and no conclusion has ever been made.

I have decided to make a new thread about this in the General forum.

My conclusion is: Those of you who can not hear any difference of different cables: Stay out of the thread. Those who can hear differences: Welcome, and let us discuss different cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    This (Cable stuff) has been discussed over and over again, and no conclusion has ever been made.

I have decided to make a new thread about this in the General forum.

My conclusion is: Those of you who can not hear any difference of different cables: Stay out of the thread. Those who can hear differences: Welcome, and let us discuss different cables.
    Rolf,

I didn't say I can't hear a difference. I have a first hand experience with a man named in that link whose product bears his name...let's just say the conversation was very "revealing".

There's well made cables and not so well made cables, but in speaker cables, size is the most important element.

In line-level interconnects it's a whole different ball game with shield, jacket material, etc.

Canare, Mogami type is great pro-grade line-level cable at about 1 or 2 two bucks US a foot. RG6 quad shield works great too, but not very flexible...about 25 cents a foot, and now you can get snap on RCA connectors much like crimp on F connectors.

I've seen the $50,000 cables. They only reason to spend excessive amounts of cash on cables is you just have too much cash to store.

Unfortunatly, I don't have that much cash.

But...I'll gladly stay out of the discussion.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    In English...a "wire" is a single conductor, be it multiple strands or a solid.

A "cable" is made up from a bundle of "wires", or multiple conductors.
    That's what I thought so I was going to paste a couple of definitions from Webster's, wow!

For all I know you may have a proper definition there but if it is there are a dozen more I guarantee it

Sometimes it seems like discussing wires/cables is much like discussing religion or politics accept there may be more science to the religion and politics. I can't verify if what he (Roger Russell) says is true, and though his credentials are high when I was seriously shopping for store bought speakers I always thought his were missing something, he says nobody, in a serious A/B test, has ever been able to pick a particular set of cables without an explanation. (there are "special cables" with high capacitance that some amp may be sensitive to foe instance).

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Rolf,

I didn't say I can't hear a difference. I have a first hand experience with a man named in that link whose product bears his name...let's just say the conversation was very "revealing".

There's well made cables and not so well made cables, but in speaker cables, size is the most important element.

In line-level interconnects it's a whole different ball game with shield, jacket material, etc.

Canare, Mogami type is great pro-grade line-level cable at about 1 or 2 two bucks US a foot. RG6 quad shield works great too, but not very flexible...about 25 cents a foot, and now you can get snap on RCA connectors much like crimp on F connectors.

I've seen the $50,000 cables. They only reason to spend excessive amounts of cash on cables is you just have too much cash to store.

Unfortunatly, I don't have that much cash.

But...I'll gladly stay out of the discussion.
    Hi edgewound. I was not referring to you, or anybody particular. I am just tired of hearing over and over again that "cables does not matter", and "you can use any sort of copper lead".

I know cables matters. I hear differences. Both on interconnects and speaker cables. Those who cannot? ... well, I rest my case. That is why I want to start a thread for those who can. Maybe some conclusion can come out of it.

You are highly welcome to the discussion.

I do not see any need to pay esoteric prices for a cable either. The cable and the interconnects do however need to be up to the job. And yes, arguably there can be a predictable and measurable difference. I personally dont see the harm in adjusting my treble a few tenths of a dB. After all, what do you think happens at the recording studio?

Beyond that, cables can be measured quite effectively with the right equipment. Here is a link I have posted a few times showing how much change in inductance you can get with two 36" test leads.

http://www.woofertester.com/measurecable.htm

If anyone is going to the CES, Smith & Larson Audio will be showing off the Woofer Tester 2, Woofer Tester Pro and Speaker Tester at our booth, #404 in the High Performance Audio Venue at the Venetian convention center. This demo is pretty easy to show. We will have other stuff there as well.

Best regards,
    Keith Larson (WT-Pro)
    Smith & Larson Audio

"I know cables matters. I hear differences. Both on interconnects and speaker cables. Those who cannot? ... well, I rest my case."

And I know that if she weighs the same as a duck she's a witch. I rest my case.

Tom -

Stop with the insults, please.

Nothing wrong with having opinions. It takes a mature man to walk by and leave others alone. I presume you were the bully on the playground? And yes, I was the one that was bullied - and apparenty, still am.

I rest my case.

-Storm.

Hi. I do not understand that graph, and I surly can't hear the graph. I am NOT talking about esoteric prices. I am talking about the difference in sound between a cable used for your lamps or refrigerator VS a cable used for hi-fi ... different ones.

I have compared many cables, and can tell you that xxxxx,xx cables does not neccassry sound better than xxxx,xx or xxx,xx.

Welcome to the new thread, just be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by WTPRO View Post
    I do not see any need to pay esoteric prices for a cable either. The cable and the interconnects do however need to be up to the job. And yes, arguably there can be a predictable and measurable difference. I personally dont see the harm in adjusting my treble a few tenths of a dB. After all, what do you think happens at the recording studio?

Beyond that, cables can be measured quite effectively with the right equipment. Here is a link I have posted a few times showing how much change in inductance you can get with two 36" test leads.

http://www.woofertester.com/measurecable.htm

If anyone is going to the CES, Smith & Larson Audio will be showing off the Woofer Tester 2, Woofer Tester Pro and Speaker Tester at our booth, #404 in the High Performance Audio Venue at the Venetian convention center. This demo is pretty easy to show. We will have other stuff there as well.

Best regards,
    Keith Larson (WT-Pro)
    Smith & Larson Audio

"In English...a "wire" is a single conductor, be it multiple strands or a solid."

Of course a wire need not even be a conductor such as in wire rope which is also called "cable".

Midwesterner that I am I hold with plain speaking. Point being that when some audiophiles want to make more of something than it really is they use highfalutin terms like speaker "cable" and "interconnect".

If you buy it at the hardware store it's wire, if you buy the same thing at a hi-fi store it's a cable.

"Stop with the insults, please."

It's not insulting to throw someone's argument back at them. I'm sorry you find disagreement disagreeable but life is full of it.

You know we can't just all slap each other on the backs and tell each other what great guys we are all the time.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    You know we can't just all slap each other on the backs and tell each other what great guys we are all the time.
    That would totally suck!

Thread Information