Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C38 Restoration with Pics

C38 Restoration with Pics

Thought I would share some pics of a restoration job my brother is working on. JBL C38 cabs with D130 and 075 drivers.

The cabinets were in bad shape as the pics show. All drivers are excellent. The cabinets are missing one of the aluminum legs. We need one if you have a single doing nothing.

He is re-veneering the cabinets. I saw one in progress today and they look stunning. I'll add pictures as he passes them on to me.

Gary

Some new walnut veneer for one of the cabs.

John Y.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejfud View Post
    Thought I would share some pics of a restoration job my brother is working on. JBL C38 cabs with D130 and 075 drivers.

The cabinets were in bad shape as the pics show. All drivers are excellent. The cabinets are missing one of the aluminum legs. We need one if you have a single doing nothing.

He is re-veneering the cabinets. I saw one in progress today and they look stunning. I'll add pictures as he passes them on to me.

Gary

Gary,

Nice project. I would like to know if the D130 is front mounted as the cork? gasket seems to suggest. Is there no removable back on the enclosure? My C37 built from Lansing plans in 1955 had a removable back. The D130 was rear mounted. The grille was on a separate assembly installed and screwed from the rear into the front two inch frame pieces. Your unit looks like an entirely different construction.

I am currently restoring my C37 but enlarging the rear back to accomodate a 2440 and horn inside the enclosure. I, too, will need some re-veneering to be done, although minimal since I plan a piano black painted finish.

John Y.

The woofer is indeed mounted on the front with four monster cast clips. The grill slides in from the bottom through a slot and the feet hold it in place.

Gary

Looks like your brother is doing some fine work ejfud, and it does my heart good to see the cabinets being valued and restored.

In dinner conversation the other night, a friend (lifetime speaker industry guy) commented that original cabinets will be the rare commodity of the future. Many thousands of systems have been parted out, the components sold and the boxes trashed. There are now many more speakers in circulation than there are original enclosures for them. In the past only the rare and pristine cabinets have been saved, but my friend predicts that this is sure to change in the coming years.

Yep, cabinets trashed every day. I just can't do it myself, that's why I talked him into this route. He could not be happier at this point.

Gary

Anybody have any thoughts on what the grill cloth would have been for these.

Any ideas would help.

Thanks, Gary

Grill Cloth Color Options

Hi ejfud

One possibility would be to go with a black grill cloth, like in the color photo below. Or correct me if I’m wrong. But, I think a blond colored grill cloth was also a standard option. But, the exclamation signature series badges are going to be the real hard find, if you don't already have them.

Baron030
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Saw the first one re-veneered and they look stunning.

Gary

Hey Gary, I finally had time and remembered to check out the pics and progress. Looks outstanding! Those are going to send the needle well into the "Keeper" range when finished. How is the progress with the legs?

RC
    Ignorant Member

Only missing one leg at this point.

I don't know what he is going to do. Someone here thought they could spin one out for him, so that is an option, or wait till you find the loner on the Bay.

I'm sure it will more of an issue as they get closer to being done.

Gary

Here we go. Finished and looking and sounding very nice. Still missing leg, but have figured a fix til one pops up.

Well, now. Didn't THOSE come out gorgeous!!!

Wow, Way to Go. Those turned out looking really sweet!

Baron 030

Very nice resto!!!!!!! A+++++++++++++ I did see some legs on the bay a week ago or so. Keep looking, I'm sure they will pop up again.

J/S-S1A

Thread Information