Thread: i recently changed out ma 5002s

soundmanshorty

i recently changed out ma 5002s

for Crest CA 18s, and let me tell you it sounds better than the crown ma 5002 in this application.

I have on a job 4 2226 15s in 2 ohms from 0-500 hz, and after the crown would heat up after 5-6 hrs into the night the JBL 2226 speakers would pop on some bass notes the amp isnt flashing hard green or bottom led turn red so its not clipping.

This amp is been in good operating enviorment, airconditioned clean room with 3 fans moving air around the room so the room stays around 70 degrees steady with an exaust system pulling air out of the amp room. So we changed out the 5002 and put it on subbass and used the CA 18s on the midbass 2 ohm, and not only does it operate better and no more popping after even 8-10 hours of use, but it sounds better.

The whole system opened up all the foggy sounding information is gone and more precise, the inteligibility is far greater and the overall tone of the system snapped rt into place without touching the processing.

I always found the 5002 to have a bloated character to it, but the ca 18 does sound very good, and im shocked better than the 5002, the only downfall about this amp is when it does clip you do hear it, so aslong as it dont flash hard red it is great and operates nicely

IMHO, I'd buy Crest over Crown, pretty much every time, these days.

Not only are you NOT the only person who related a similar story about the sound, but you can actually FIX the Crest amps easily if they break. Crown has, IMHO, gotten inordinately complicated and hard to repair, and their amps tend to break in spectacular, intense fashion which sometimes even precludes repair except by replacement of ENTIRE BOARD ASSEMBLIES.

When one of these modern big Crown amps blows up these days, it's usually a matter of lots of burned-up parts, unfortunately, usually including circuit boards. Hard to fix an amp, with a carbonized board. OTOH, at the shop I work with, we haven't seen an un-fixable Crest amp, in a LONG time...

Regards,
    Gordon.

soundmanshorty

Well Crest is

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW View Post
    IMHO, I'd buy Crest over Crown, pretty much every time, these days.

Not only are you NOT the only person who related a similar story about the sound, but you can actually FIX the Crest amps easily if they break. Crown has, IMHO, gotten inordinately complicated and hard to repair, and their amps tend to break in spectacular, intense fashion which sometimes even precludes repair except by replacement of ENTIRE BOARD ASSEMBLIES.

When one of these modern big Crown amps blows up these days, it's usually a matter of lots of burned-up parts, unfortunately, usually including circuit boards. Hard to fix an amp, with a carbonized board. OTOH, at the shop I work with, we haven't seen an un-fixable Crest amp, in a LONG time...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    is Pevey in drag now, so i wouldnt use a new crest at all id use the CA over any new crest, i tried there 8200 and i did not like it in anyway shape or form, i used it for 20 min and pulled it out and used a cheap qsc and it was better in everyway, but we had the CA 18 so i used it to see if the problem would occur with the speakers poping and it didnt happen so we left them in. But its a shame they dont have the pro line cause when you clip the 7001, 8001,9001 you dont hear the amp square like the CA series does.

www.systemsbyshorty.com
    www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty

Thread Information