Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D-130 and Paragon?

Some of the original Paragons were shipped with the 150-4C, but when the LE15 came out, we switched to that. The Metragon was not as critical as to components.

Harvey

Do you know if the LE15 was ever used in the Hartsfield? Hal Cox swears that it was, but I have never seen this mentioned in any of the JBL literature from this era. I never did understand why they put the LE15 in the Paragon since that driver never seemed to be meant for horn loading.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    Harvey

Do you know if the LE15 was ever used in the Hartsfield? Hal Cox swears that it was, but I have never seen this mentioned in any of the JBL literature from this era. I never did understand why they put the LE15 in the Paragon since that driver never seemed to be meant for horn loading.
    First of all, the Paragon wasn't much of a horn, so the LE15 was an improvement. I remember vaguely that we did some experimenting with an LE15 after the Hartsfield was redesigned to make it easier to build and load. I don't remember if it was ever official.

jcdahl
    I just bought a pair of JBL 1500 Subwoofers from Parts Express
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...021904-299-750

I may try them in one of my Paragons. I May have to use Bi-amplification to get the proper balance.

Maron Horonzakz
    JICDAHL......How would you mount them in the paragon? 1500 are front mounted woofers. A thick ring would need to be installed to keep rubber surround from interfearing. But its a great idea I hope you can do it.

Rafael
    I tried the D 130īs, the 2226īs and finally the 2235īs. Depending on the room maybe you can get a little improvement- or should I say: it just sounded different. I prefer the 2235īs in a reflex design over the LE 15īs but for the paragon the LE 15īs are perhaps the best choice. I think it was no problem for JBL to install another woofer if they thought it was a better choice.

Rafael

Obsolete
    " I think it was no problem for JBL to install another woofer if they thought it was a better choice."

Good point. JBL has been cranking these things out a very long time and the most recent driver I know of was the LE15H and I think that's after the 2235H had been out over ten years. Plenty of "swapportunity" time there

Smile

The technical data sheet on the paragon lists the 2235 as a replacement for the le15a " but only as a last resort". One of the reasons may be that the crossover is not optimized for the 2235.
    I intend to try my 2234s in the paragon just for curiosity. I fully intend to replace the 075 diaphragms with the 077 at some point.
    Stephen C.

Obsolete
    "One of the reasons may be that the crossover is not optimized for the 2235."

Well, that's a given. Completely different impedance curves.

Smile

The 2235 might be better than the LE-15a in the paragon with a custom crossover. JBL was probably unwilling to put the needed resources into such a low volume product. The LX-5 crossover was the same as in the S-7 & S-8 systems indicating no special customizing was done for the paragon originally.
    Stephen C.

Obsolete
    Sure, you could run a curve on the two LE15's you have and then a curve on the two 223x's you have and adjust the crossover values accordingly.

Wink

would that involve measuring the impedence vs frequency in the enclosure, and then using a program to model the network with this data? Then we would probably have to do some frquency response measurements. This would be a nice assignment for someone with the expertise & tools.
    Stephen C.

Rafael
    Due to different characteristics between these drivers, of course it is necessary to use different crossovers. When using passive x-overs this is a hard piece of work and when it works with a certain driver, you probably canīt remember the sound with the former driver. You can use an active x-over and many of these problems are gone. But as I said in an older reply, donīt modify the paragon too much. We tried all kinds of x-overs: active, passive, 6dB/oct, 18dB/oct, tried slightly changing and spreading the x-over points and shure, you can get a different sound character. When I tried a digital network/EQ the paragon sounded a bit like a modern high-end speaker and I went back to the original x-overs immediately.

Thread Information