Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 250TI'S Up And Running

JBL 250TI'S Up And Running

I finally got to unpack these giant's and hooked them to my ole trusty Pioneer SX1250. My first impression was that these are overkill. I am not used to a 4 way system and noticed the difference right away.It took some getting use to.

After playing several of my favorite pieces my ears came inline with these speakers and now my ears are tuned to them.

They play exceptionally well and their overall performance IMO is stunning. I think the difference between these and my SOV II'S was that at high volume my Sov II's sounded good but they also sounded strained,these 250's at high volume sound like they want more. I like the high end on these 250's better than the Sov II's,this might be because I am dealing with a 4 way versus my old 2 way soverigns.The low end seems to be more than enough.

My room where these sit is heavily carpeted with very heavy drapes, they are in the same spot as were my sov II's, sitting at my desk these speakers have a distant sound to me which I like,they are not overpowering at a moderate volume setting.

I am running these with the L96's that I just bought and it seems they are a perfect match. I can run both A&B at the same time with no problem's on this SX1250 contrary to some opinions here on the subject.

These sound better than all my expectations and though maybe high in price but then again I don't feel I need to upgrade further as these will bless my ears into infinity.

Merry Christmas Everyone and to Everyone A Happy New Year.

Note... I noticed that the serial numbers are quite low 583 and 534 is this good or bad?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    My first impression was that these are overkill. I am not used to a 4 way system and noticed the difference right away.It took some getting use to.
    The ony way to describe the sound of these guys is ...BIG.

I also have a pair of PMC OB1's (a fairly well regarded English 3-way - http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/ob1.html) and they were fired up today for comparison. The PMC's sounded really lightweight compared to the 250Ti's.

I find the 250Ti's presentation of percussion, particularly snare and kick drum, completely addictive. A rockers dream but their ability to dig out low-level information on recordings is amazing. Enjoy

Nice to hear you got them before Christmas and that your ears are "recalibrating" in a positive direction.

Good luck and enjoy them over the holidays.

A great holiday present to yourself!! enjoy them

Mark

Yes merry-xmas and don't worry the serial # will not effect the sound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Yes merry-xmas and don't worry the serial # will not effect the sound!!!
    This is good,John

I don't know if having an early serial number meant having early problems,hell, I'm not really sure if these are early serial numbers.

Can someone tell me when these were made by the serial numbers?

Glen, are you still keeping the serial numbers of all speakers?

Merry Christmas

I'm glad you've got them running, kingjames. By your description, the wait was worth it. Time to change that Avatar.
    Paying debt to Karma...

I don't know if having an early serial number meant having early problems,hell, I'm not really sure if these are early serial numbers.
    The Serial No's of my pair are 06511 & 06512 and the seller told me they were built towards the end of the original 250Ti series run (late 80's?). You could work back from there to get the approx. build date I guess.

Any more comments re. the general sound? Anyone that hears mine are generally amazed, even non-audio types. With the recent trend for smaller speakers in the UK, I think people forget what good FULL bass should sound like..

When I bought mine the original owner told me that he bought them new in the late 80's. The serial no.s are just over 1000. He said that he had a tough time getting them and had to special order them through a place called Pointe Electronics in Grosse Pointe Michigan. I would be curious to know roughly how many of the original 250Ti's were made.

Mike

kingjames

Still lovin' 'em? How is your appreciation changing as time goes by?

JBL-Registry

This is good,John

Can someone tell me when these were made by the serial numbers?

Glen, are you still keeping the serial numbers of all speakers?
    Hi James,

there are only a few in the registry....you may know some..
    We can only tell you more about the date when there are more.
    Here's the 250Ti part

regards
    HP
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Am I right in assuming that the original 250Ti's finished in 1989 when the LE edition then came in?

Also, I have the original 250Ti instruction manual (document ref. 'IM250Ti/8-84') which I am happy to scan. Is there an area of the forum where these are posted as I expect many manuals would have been lost over the years and 250Ti owners would be interested.

I also have another small foldout called "Technical Note, Danger: Low Power" (document ref. 50777 TM2 5/77) and the original warranty card. Might be of interest to some?

I've noticed that some of the 044ti's that sold on ebay had dates on the back of them. I wonder if I should pull the tweeters to see if there is a date on the back of them and if there is would it be helpful to the registry. The one's I have are awful low serial numbers.

leif
    It is many years since I saw/heard a pair 250Ti.
    I would love to try out a pair and see how they would be compare to my 4430 (that my wife are not too happy about having in the living room).
    They are two completely different constructions. 2 way horn compare to 4 way non-horn.
    89db efficiency vs 93 db efficiency.
    One should think from techical datas that the 4430 play louder, but it sounds odd that this 4 way system should not beat the 4430 on who play louder.
    The only thing the two constructions seem to have in common is the brand (JBL)

Leif

Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    It is many years since I saw/heard a pair 250Ti.
    I would love to try out a pair and see how they would be compare to my 4430 (that my wife are not too happy about having in the living room).
    They are two completely different constructions. 2 way horn compare to 4 way non-horn.
    89db efficiency vs 93 db efficiency.
    One should think from techical datas that the 4430 play louder, but it sounds odd that this 4 way system should not beat the 4430 on who play louder.
    The only thing the two constructions seem to have in common is the brand (JBL)

Leif
    If the 4430's sound anywhere near the same as my 4425's did ,then I will say there is no comparison, my 250ti's beat my old pair of 4425's without even a strain.

Thread Information