Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How did you find out about JBL Pro Series?

paragon

Restore

Have to restore them the next time, Earl.
    Put all the old paint off, hard work i think.
    Or build a new pair 4520 !!

Eckhard

Steve Gonzales

Love Em'

Mr Paragon, those are some sweet speakers!. Is that a 2440 hooked to the 2397? What is/was the thinking behind having 2 pairs of UHF drivers and different to boot? I love the way they are open and also the way they look in the stack. The UHF drivers must have a staggered x-over point? There may not be as much JBL Stuff on your side of the pond but from what I've seen, It is generally of great condition and almost always highly desirable, KUDOs.

paragon

Steve

Hi Steve,

The drivers behind the 2397 are 2441 i bought in 81. All stuff is bought in the late 70`s and early 80`s exept the UHF drivers and JBL passive networks.
    First i had only the 2405H crossed over at 9000 Hz. Two years ago i bought the 2402H and crossed them at 6000 Hz.
    Both drivers where driven in this combo a year ago with my own build network.
    A few month ago i bought original JBL networks (3106, 3182).
    Now only the 2405H is working. But !!, the sound of the 2402H is excellent !!
    I love this driver. The sound of this driver is ("low Highs") absolutely top !!
    Heared this combo in a Disco in the late 70`s (other thread).

Eckhard

Steve Gonzales

Loving it!

Thanks Eckhard, I have always wanted some 2397's and 2440/2441's! I just sold a pair of 2205's, I should have spent some more time with them . I would LOVE to build my own out of WALNUT. I wish there was someone that could supply blueprints! I have access to a fully equipped woodworking shop. One day I will do it. I also want to make my own 4 way with 136A's, 2121's,2441's/2397's and a 076.

Back to the original topic of this thread, I found out about JBL Pro through one of the members of this forum - Henry Kreindler. Henry ran an audio shop called Banquox Sound here in Winnipeg that sold to both the home and pro markets in the 70's and into the 90's. He built hundreds of PA and home systems using JBL pro components. I don't think I'm telling any secrets in relating that he sold Ken Pachkowsky the 4350's that got him started on the long path to his current Westlakes. I was first in his shop in 1975 when he gave me JBL's pro catalog (it was the only one he had left). That was the first time I found out about JBL monitors and I spent more hours than I care to admit lusting after the picture of the mighty 4350. I still have that catalog and scans from it were part of the first itteration of this site when we opened in May 2000.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

1965 - Memphis, Tennessee. Blew the woofer in our Ampeg B-18X playing at the Blind Lemon. The other band (Paul Revere?) had them candy-apple fleck roll-padded Kystom cabs with JBL's in them. That's what we wanted.

Local amp repair guy didn't have any 18's (JBL didn't make them?), so he put in a D140F, probably, instead. Sold it and the 1964 sunburst Strat in Berkeley in 1970 for $500.

The VW bus had long since been reposessed....

In the service in Hawaii, 78 or 79, in the PX audio room, Schofield Barracks. Gary Elias was the JBL Rep and told me about 4343's and I was hooked. Sold 2 pair of HPM 150's to purchase those just looking at the pamphlet and seeing the pro stuff in the clubs. Sold the 4343's soon as I found out I could get a set of 4350's. I think it was Jan or so of 1980. I've been lugging the things around ever since - if that says anything, and I'm still exploring their magic.

Chuck

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie4350
    In the service in Hawaii, 78 or 79, in the PX audio room, Schofield Barracks. Gary Elias was the JBL Rep and told me about 4343's and I was hooked. Sold 2 pair of HPM 150's to purchase those just looking at the pamphlet and seeing the pro stuff in the clubs. Sold the 4343's soon as I found out I could get a set of 4350's. I think it was Jan or so of 1980. I've been lugging the things around ever since - if that says anything, and I'm still exploring their magic.

Chuck
    Hi!

I wonder, have you ever tried to go active with digital x-over, like for instace a pair of Behringer Ultradrive DCX2496, to see if that coud improve anything on those 4350's?

Roland

Michael
    To the above post, if you are interested in active crossovers take a look at XTA's range.

Why am I here? I was introduced to JBL's through my father, we used to have a pair of 4350's which he sold (when I was still too young to appreciate them! ). If he had have tried to sell them now he wouldn't have got very far....

Anyway we know have a pair of 4344's, 4312's and a 4311 centre channel, and we are both hooked. He was introduced to JBL pro monitors many years ago at various radio stations he worked at, and then channel 9 (one of the big tv stations here). 9 probably had the most influence on his choice, the pair of 4350's we owned had once lived in that station along with another matching pair, which many great artists recorded their albums on. And to think we snatched them up for an amount equating to about $1500 US at the time .

I'm sure there will be more to come, a close friend of ours got the other pair.. heheh.

Cheers, Mike

jandregg
    I have never seen or heard a JBL professional monitor. My interest in jbl goes back to the 60s. I built my first jbl speaker in 71. It was a le14 with a le20 on top. A friend and I had gone halfs on a table saw to build furniture and the first cabinet was in his living room (we kept the saw in his basement) while I was building the second cabinet. Someone saw it, heard it, and bought it before the second cabinet was done. I built and sold enough of those to buy the componets for my s7r and the cabinets for those where the last speaker cabs I have built. To have something to listen to while building I bought a used pair of L100s. I built my own crossover including winding the coils. The whole thing sounded pretty terrible and I wished I had kept the L100s. Met a man selling in one of the chain stores and found that he was both knowledgeable and owned a portable real time analyser. For a very reasonable price he scoped my system and advised me to chuck my crossovers and go bi-amped. He got to sell me a crossover and amp and I got much better sound. I was happy for many years until I took out the wall between the dining room and the living room and started playing the hi-fi louder. About the same time I really got into classical music, and the midrange started to bother me. Then came e-bay and I saw a picture of a 4344mkII. Relevation and desire was instant. I needed a ten inch jbl to handle the midrange on my speakers. Searches of the internet found this site, hi-efficienty forum, and pi speakers. All chuck full of info. Then jbl tent sale of 2123J (h were all gone) was found. It was too much. I asked questions on all three forums and was encouraged to go for it by several responders. I duped the tweeter filters from the 4343 schematic and got close on the midrange. Robert G. and a couple of books put me straight on that filter and it sounds good, but of course I am still messing with it. So I have a S7R with an 077 on top and a 2123 in the middle. It sounds real good. Some day I would like to hear a real JBL monitor, but living in Georgia now, I don't know if it will happen. My health isn't too good anymore. I still work, but on weekends sometimes all I do is rest, and listen to music. And it is enough. I'm happy and this site is part of that happines.

John

Roland,
    Never tried digital x-over. Using the 5235 with either the 250 Hz card or the 51340 (not sure about this one), I'd have to pull the cover, but it says 4343/4350. Ordered that card from JBL with my 5234 in 85 (it took me that long to afford one). I'm sure there is more to be had with a better crossover. Still have to try the bypass caps in the 3107 when I find the right person to do the work. Since 98 I've been chasing Levinson gear to realize more of the potential of these fine speakers - 25 years ya think I'd be done.

chuck

aust-ted
    I got interested a few years ago when a pro audio friend convinced me to try some JBL components in my search for high efficiency speakers to match my tubed amps.

Taking a step back, I trialled a pair of modded Leak St50 tubed amps around 1990 and was immediately drawn back into using such archaic gear. Since I have moved to increasingly more efficient speakers which will work well with low powered tube amps. I have also recently adopted triamping and came to accept that large SS amps are hard to beat for bass power and control.

I purchased some 2450s/ 2380As, 2235s and 2404s on eBay over the last few years and have become a convert to the use of such gear for home use.

Ted

Obsolete
    How did you find out about JBL Pro Series?

Mid seventies, Gates Planetarium. I noticed four 077's and HL89's strategically placed about the base ring of the dome. I remember being disappointed that "someone" had painted the clear acrylic in the 077's black.

A few days later I found out they were actually 2405's and 2390's.

dblaxter
    hi ,

my first was ,going to sam goody's with my mother and my best friend to pick up a pair of brand new L100 s in or on i should say feb ,02 1978 ,he was buying them ,which i purchased 6 months later ,i still have those same speakers ,when we were there , they had a demo pair of 4311b s if i am not mistaken ,unfortunitly they were lost to a lost girlfriend ,dumb and in love ,so from the age of 15 years old and on i have never owned any other brand of speakers ,16pairs and counting , L15,L19,L36,L56,L100,L110,L112,120TI,240TI,4612OK, 4310,4311, MORE THEN ONE PAIR OF SOME ,i dont feel i missed out buy not buying any other brands . still want to buy more ,have my eye on century golds ,K2 ,the perf. series and the TI10K , i dont want much , just more.
    best to all, michael ,dblaxter

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Mid seventies, Gates Planetarium.
    I think I recall you telling me that's where you first heard the 4345, too.

Wasn't there something like four of them spaced-around and peering-over the lip of the dome?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information