Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you find out about JBL Pro Series?

First Contact

Uncle Sam's disco on Long Island. It was around 1981 and I had to sneak in. Not old enough. Heard JBL 2395's and couldn't believe the sound. Took me a while to figure out what those odd looking speakers were. Eventually got a pair and used them in college above home built bass cabinets.

JBL Dog
    My first exposure to JBL pro was at Antech Labs in Webster Groves, MO (St. Louis) in the summer of 1979. I was in the process of putting together a Mobile DJ system and was in the market for an amp and mixer. The salesman set me up with a NIKKO amp and a Meteor mixer. As he was totaling up the bill, he asked me what I was using for speakers. I told him I built a set of "kit" speakers that consisted of four 10's, four 5" mids and two piezio tweeters. He rolled his eyes and said "when you blow those up, I'll set you up with some JBL's."

I ended getting my first JBL's (DIY 2205, 2420, 2397, 2405) in 1981 and have never looked back. Used just about all of the pro-line stuff over the years. Currently using 4343's and 4430's in the "dog-house". For the mobile stuff.... SR series 4704, 4718, 4722, 4725, 4732, and 4738's. I also have a pair of EON 1500's and a pair of Cabaret 4602 stage monitors.

This message comes from JBL Dog

Maron Horonzakz
    JBLDOG ....,What ever happened to ANTECH LABS? THe last time I stoped in the ST Louis area they were gone.

JBL Dog
    Maron:

They're still around, but they've gotten out the retail business. It is my understanding they're still doing service and professional installs.

When I first got into the business, they were the only game in town for DJ equipment, etc. But, with all the Guitar Centers, etc. and the internet, they could no longer compete on the retail end.

The guy that does all my recones bought the majority of their JBL parts and recone kits several years back. He still has some hard-to-find stuff.

Lloyd Faulkner
    Spectrum Sound
    [email protected]

Worth a try if you need a rare part. Lotsa Altec stuff, too.

This message comes from JBL Dog

The Warehouse Sound stuff is great! Post more if you can.

Talking

Well, for me it started in 1959 when my mother moved back in with my dad. In 1956 and 57 he built a pair of C35's. I still remember the day we moved back in. There they were, the BIGGEST, badass speakers I or anyone else had seen, and each with it's own amp. When he turned the system on I though the whole block could here it. WOW

Then in the 70's it was my turn, so I quess it's a family sickness.

By the way, still have those old C35's

Still JBL'n after all these years

Originally posted by JBLnsince1959
    By the way, still have those old C35's
    Hey, 1959...
    Welcome!

The only price of entry we've stumbled across is posting pics of your rig. Could ya, pretty please?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Sure, but I'll have to get a friends digitial camera first as I don't have one. Give me a few days

Excellent! You can re-ignite this Thread when you do. It'll stale over the wait, but will be waiting...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

When I was young,we listen to a GRUNDIG stereo radio combo at home.Then ,my uncle,an architect who live next door, bought a real HIFI set with JBL APOLLO enclosures.I was amazed about the sound.He was listening JAZZ band either the Beatles,Rolling Stones,Who and others on that hifi set.I stay a lot of time in his home,playing with my cousin and listening all that music.

pangea

My first JBL experience

In the early seventies, being a young lad, I had just bought me my first real Stereo equipment and I was immensely proud of it, until a friend of mine asked me what I had bought.

When I told him I had bought me a DUX (Philips) with octagon shaped loudspeakers and all of a sudden my friend seemed to become seriously ill, when I told him this and his eyes were rolling heavily for quite a while. After what seemed an eternity he managed to compose him self and then he invited me to his house and promised me my life would change forever.

Some weeks later I was passing through in his neighborhood and decided to make a quick stop at his house.

But when he opened the door and saw me, he said that only a few days earlier, he had sold his amps, so at first he was about to call it off, but then he suddenly changed his mind and told me to come in, he had an idea.
    He went to the kitchen and picked up a transistor radio from the kitchen window, I think it was an old AGA or Sony and then he connected the radio to one of his JBL 4530's. I don't remember what bass driver he had but on top there was a 075.

I'm not kidding, my jaws dropped to the floor when he turned on the radio with not more power than maybe 1/2 watt or something like that and at first I couldn't even believe it was the radio that drove the speaker. It had to be a scam of some sort. Slowly however It got to me and from that day I haven't looked at any other women, sorry... loudspeakers!

BR
    Roland

I remember that page in Warehouse Sound like it was yesterday. What fun to see it again. Thanks! I still have the L-65s, 2325 and Dual. Befere seeing that I saw a Paragon at Boulton sound in New York City. They installed whole house systems starting at 75K in early 70s! The salesman said they used nothing but JBL drivers because they were the best.

OK Bo

here it is ( finally). When my father passed away ( 1994) I got the C35's. Since everything was origianl from 1955, 56, 57 I took the speakers and crossover's out to protect them and now just use the cabinets. Some times on the date of my dad's passing I put it all together and pull out his old MAC stuff and pour two Jack's on the rocks( one for me and one for him) and play his music all night just for him ( I think they hear this in the afterlife).

The cabinets now have E130's, 2425's and 2402's plus some homegrown X-O's and sever as the Center speakers for my HT ( I split the signal and use both) .

Under the C35's are 2235's

the rest of the mess are 4430's and and 2404's. the 4430's( I use the external X-O option), 2235's and 2404's are put together by an ashley 4 way active X-O ( 100,1000,9000 to 10000)

so that's it.

rick
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bo

forgot to mention that the C35's are upside down so the horns are"in yer face"

rick

Originally posted by JBLnsince1959
    Some times on the date of my dad's passing I put it all together and pull out his old MAC stuff and pour two Jack's on the rocks (one for me and one for him)...
    Nice...

Beauty rig, Rick, beauty. I'd have one heck of a time choosing which part of it all to lean on...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information