Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you find out about JBL Pro Series?

jbl

Smile How did you find out about JBL Pro Series?

Hi all:
    Perhaps you could share your thoughts on why you chose JBL, both professional as well as consumer version over other brands of speakers/drivers.

JBL

For me - and this is a gift to thoots for Christmas - it was hearing the L compared to them Advents of the day. That was it. Got me a waterbed, and never looked back.

Then, I met a friend with a pair of 4345's, and now, I spend less much less time on the waterbed...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hey Bo

Yeah me too on the Advents. Liked the L100's much better. Got a computer found E-Bay and the Tent Sale. All those speakers I could never afford, some for peanuts if you were lucky. Also JBL stands behind what they sell. Find an OEM recone kit for Advent, Infinity or just about anyone else competing with the L100's at the time. Find drivers with equivalent build quality. Not too much competition.

Rob

For me it was listening to a pair of JBL 4340's demolish the Tannoy Arden about 26 years at a local dealership.

Shortly after I obtained the 4343 brochure and it was love at first sight.

There was no domestic version so the choice was easy but not cheap nor easy when I decided to build a pair.

The slot 2405 alone cost $650 a pair in 1981

Ian

Well, I discovered pro JBL monitors just last year when I stumbled upon a pair of 4333AWX's at a thrift. Brought them home, cleaned, refurbished and rockin' ever since. Lord help me if I hear a pair of 4343's.

Tom Loizeaux
    In my early twentys I went to a friends loft party. He was playing good music through his pair of full size Altec A7s. I found myself sitting directly in front of one of them the rest of the evening, swamped by loud, clean, rich music that I had never experienced before. From then on it was Voice of the Theatre! Years latter I bought a Fender Showman that had a JBL D140F in it. I couldn't believe how great my electric bass sounded through it. Over the years I've heard many JBL 4311 control monitors and always thought they sounded superior to what I was hearing at home...or anybody elses' home for that matter. Then recently I stumbled onto a pair of 4320s that need restoration. Respecting JBL's quality, I undertook that task and fell in love with vintage JBL studio monitors. After restoring several more of these studio monitors, I decided I really needed to hear a pair of 4343s. They were tall, puting the HF up where it needs to be and the 10" mid bass drivers seem to be the answer to the subtle shortcomings of the 3-way studio monitors.
    Now I'm stuck to my bi-amped 4343s - and can't imagine needing anything more.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 12-19-2003 at 09:36 PM.

OK...

First year of college and it's 25 cent pitcher night at the local pub....right above my head was a pair of L100's that a rich buddy in the EE dept got for xmas. powered by a DC300A and it sounded so sweet

Ah the good old days, 18 to drink and the roadblocks were in E.germany....now it's the other way around.

Spent the last 25 years building massive JBL systems for clubs and SR installs but I *still* remember listening to dark side of the moon....

Today it's the 4343's in the living room until the new ones are done.

Full stereo 4 way all-electronic crossover with (8) urei 6505 modules ( with feedback comp wiring ) running a 2245H, 2021H, 2450SL/2332 and 2405H. All in handcrafted 1.5" SOLID white ash cabinets ( you know - the stuff baseball bats are made of ) patterned after the L250TI

And it HAS S.A.F approval.

sub

Long before I could actually afford good stereo equipment I used to get Warehouse Sound catalogs in the mail. I'd like to find some of those today. Anyway, they sold JBLs, and they wrote great descriptions of the sound. Later when I joined the service, I was stationed on a submarine and there was a set of L-40s bolted to the ceiling of the chow hall. We had fun with those, good sound in there. Later on I bought a set of L-40s for myself. I still have fond memories of them. Now I have had lots of different brands, JBL is still my favorite.

Originally posted by Don C
    ...I used to get Warehouse Sound catalogs in the mail. I'd like to find some of those today.
    I think I've got one or two. Lemme take a look...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

In 1962, Pingry School in Hillside NJ bought an Ampex 351 and Neuman tube/condenser microphones. I was the recording nerd there.

The equipment was delivered in person by a rep from a New York pro-audio store, perhaps it was Gotham Audio. The rep was Fred Lissa and pretty well informed. I asked him which loudspeakers were the best and he said JBL C50s, but you wouldn't want them at home because they were too accurate and would be tiring for living room listening.

Just tell a teenager something is too accurate and is tiring to adult ears!

John Nebel

Roddyama
    I was in an audio store back in 70’s that happened to sell the JBL home components. They also had a “Disco” (It was that horrid time in music history) system that they rented in the store at the time. The system was similar to the 4350 system, but with the HL89 horn and serpentine lens with dual 075’s per side. It was quad-amped powered by a full rack of Crown amplifiers.

From then to this day, I was hooked on horns. Although I must say that I have moved to some TAD equipment. Sorry guys.

thoots
    Did someone mention Warehouse Sound Company?

thoots

thoots
    WSC, L100 version....

thoots

thoots
    OK, WSC for you monitor guys:

thoots

JBLHorizon
    Overseas, Germany(1977-1979), US Army.
    I had the opportunity to listen to a lot of speakers of the day(that I could actually afford)and the speakers that I liked the best were the JBLs and in particular the L166/Horizon model. It was my favorite speaker then and it still is today!!!

Thread Information