Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggone Private Message notifications

Doggone Private Message notifications

Is it possible for a user to disable his private message notifications? I get one each and every time I access the forum topics list page, and nothing I do will make it stop. When I click yes to load the message in a new browser window I receive a message that it was unable to open, due possibly to a popup blocker. If I have a popup blocker it is in McAfee and I don't want to disturb it. How can I make the irksome, never ending private message notifications stop?

Click on User CP, then click on Edit Profile in settings and options in the left hand column. Then scroll down and deselect Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up which is at the bottom of the Private messaging section.

Widget

Thanks much, Widget. Just like banging my head against the wall, it feels so good when it stops!

Steve, I PMed you. Did you not see it because of this?

If so PM me or email to b c l a r k e XXXXX@XXXXX for me to reply to if you don't mind when you have a spare minute.

I'm not sure what robot scanning the web couldn't figure out my addy by what I just did, but it seems like the thing to do these days...

Hi Ben, a PM is headed your way.

Ben, I edited your post since Steve obviously got the message.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Clarke View Post
    I'm not sure what robot scanning the web couldn't figure out my addy by what I just did, but it seems like the thing to do these days...
    I've seen techies use "nameATplace.zone" - this is apparently not picked-up.
    User replaces the AT with @ and they are good to go...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Is it possible for a user to disable his private message notifications? I get one each and every time I access the forum topics list page, and nothing I do will make it stop. When I click yes to load the message in a new browser window I receive a message that it was unable to open, due possibly to a popup blocker. If I have a popup blocker it is in McAfee and I don't want to disturb it. How can I make the irksome, never ending private message notifications stop?
    Steve,

I have had a similar issue and have isolated adware and spyware on my system hence I had closed my PM until further notice. It took days to sort the mess and aside from time the unwanted noise I just dont have time to read them.

Unfortunately people here are hell bent on sending pms and emails regardless hence I have blocked all emails from Lansing Heritage.

There is obviously a lack of respect for privacy .

Hi Ian,

The little popup boogers were plaguing me after getting my computer going after a new hard drive and having to do a fresh login to LH. Since following Widgets advice all has been well.

Why don't you all just click "close" and then use the link on LHF to open the PM files at your leisure? I must be missing something here. I've gotten the pop-up blocker message (Firefox), but now I remember not to "open in new window". You guys must be very popular!

No,

Its just I find it profoundly insulting and plain dumb when I close the mail box due deadlines and serious family matters then people go and shower me with pms and emails on stuff I just don't need to know about.

It really was quite deliberate. That and attempting to communicate with the highly strung (SPRUNG) mentality of those who clearly don't know what side their bread's buttered on makes it all a chore rather than a favourite past time. Its not going to happen again.
    Last edited by Robh3606; 02-01-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Language

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    No,

Its just I find it profoundly insulting and plain dumb when I close the mail box due deadlines and serious family matters then people go and shower me with pms and emails on stuff I just don't need to know about.

It really was quite deliberate. That and attempting to communicate with the highly strung (SPRUNG) mentality of those who clearly don't know what side their bread's buttered on makes it all a chore rather than a favourite past time. Its not going to happen again.
    I pulled most of my contact info and closed PMs for similar reasons and one other. The thing that irked me the most was the use of PMs as a way to privately assault me, then invoke the right to privacy as a trick to avoid disclosure of bad behavior.

In a recently closed thread, Heather and Seawolf wrote

Unless you received explicit permission from the sender of the PM , it is VERY bad form to publically post it.
    ---------------------
    Universally bad manners in every forum I've ever been in -
    only done by folks trying to stir up dissent.
    In most cases, they're correct, but it ignores the abuse of the PM as a form of protected intimidation. Since most everyone would think you'd be a rat (or a liar) to show someone's true colors by revealing an insidious PM, better to not allow PMs at all. Then there's no worries.

Now, unless you're a moderator (which I can't stop) or invited by me and I temporarily put you on my list, PMs are blocked.

Problem solved.

Since most everyone would think you'd be a rat (or a liar) to show someone's true colors by revealing an insidious PM, better to not allow PMs at all.
    I disagree. We have had people threatened with physical harm in PM's. The individuals are now banned. We come here to have fun and you should not have to put up with that type of abuse and intimidation. If anyone recieves a PM like that you can PM one of us and we will deal with it and maintain what ever level of privacy you want. There is no excuse for that and inaction alows others to suffer the same fate.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I pulled most of my contact info and closed PMs for similar reasons and one other. The thing that irked me the most was the use of PMs as a way to privately assault me, then invoke the right to privacy as a trick to avoid disclosure of bad behavior.

In a recently closed thread, Heather and Seawolf wrote

Quote:
    Unless you received explicit permission from the sender of the PM , it is VERY bad form to publically post it.
    ---------------------
    Universally bad manners in every forum I've ever been in -
    only done by folks trying to stir up dissent.

In most cases, they're correct, but it ignores the abuse of the PM as a form of protected intimidation. Since most everyone would think you'd be a rat (or a liar) to show someone's true colors by revealing an insidious PM, better to not allow PMs at all. Then there's no worries.

Now, unless you're a moderator (which I can't stop) or invited by me and I temporarily put you on my list, PMs are blocked.

Problem solved.
    Honest Opinion - (and I've been a moderator in other times and places) -

Physical threats trump politeness - the message we discussed in that closed thread just revealed alleged personal opinions - but if someone PMs you and threatens you or your loved ones - hey - they gave up their right to courtesy and privacy when they made the threat! I think everyone would agree with that!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information