Thread: Surround 8340a or 8330a for Home Theater?

Surround 8340a or 8330a for Home Theater?

We are putting a home theater with a screen and projector in a room about 14 x 12 feet. There will be three LSR32 as the L,R and C channels and a sub.

Which do you think (if either) is a better choice in a room this size for home theater surrounds, the 8" 8330a or the 10" 8340a? The 8340 is more efficient and uses a compression driver...which entices me, but considering the size of the room, two 10"s each on the side and back walls combined with three 12"s up front and a 15" sub might be far too boomy.

This stuff will be powered through separate Accuphase P300 and P250 amps running off a Yamaha THX.

As always thanks for your wisdom.

Cheers
    Minatogawaman

One needs much distance to use 8340a. The 8330a is the best choice.
    I use 3310, the more economic, with 4343 in front, and that sound already very well!!
    Hervé

I agree... for movie soundtracks you really don't need a lot of fire power in the rears. In my HT I have three front speakers with quite a bit more oomph than the LSRs have and I am using some small 6 1/2" two-ways in the rear and they keep up fine... now for multi-channel music, that's a different story... for that you'd be best off with two more LSR32s for rear duty.

Widget

Thanks, 8330 an improvement over Wharfedale?

Thanks to both of you for steering me in the right direction. The previous incarnation of our home theater had Klipsch Heresy IIs on L and R and Klipsch budget range Center and Rears (little KSRs actually sound pretty good) with dipolar Wharfedale Diamond DFS on the sides.

Maybe I should just keep the Wharfedales if you dont think there will be a timbre mismatch with the LSR32s on L,R and C up front. What do you think? Would the 8330a be a better choice?

I am deeply infatuated with the LSR series speakers, I have a 5.1 system in my studio with the old (dented up too) LSR28p on L & R and LSR 25P in center and rear-L and rear-R and the SLR 12p sub. It sounds glorious even though ideally it would be LSR28s all around. My living room system is LSR6332 powered through a Chinese EL34 tube amp with a 6312 sub doing the low stuff.

Cheers
    Chris aka Minatogawaman

Thread Information