Thread: 4411's midrange LE5-9 down help

4411's midrange LE5-9 down help

Hi there,
    wow this is a cool thread. I thought I was a dinosaur because I love the 4411's overr the newest Mackie, Event whatever. Good to see I am not alone.

Here is my plight. My 4411's one anyway, I have a fuzz rattle in the mid. Doing research it looks like it is a LE5-9. The voice coil center is convex black and the cone is brown.

I run with LE5 and found a pair and bought them off Ebay. Didn't pay attention to the concave voice coil in brown on brown cone. (LE5-2)

Was this a totally stupid thing to do? It seems reading through your threads here, that they are inferior. I am not even sure if the large Alnico mag will fit in the enclosure. I know there is a lot of info on here showing the differences but are these rendered not usable? Should I just find the LE5-9 and call it a day.? The reason I ask is that I am in love with the 4411's as my playback system. I use a pair of Sound craft smaller units for nearfield and the 4411's for reference and well..you know...awww factor when the mix is complete. I instantly had a true mix with these in pretty well any enviroment including the car. Aside from all the excellent matrix information the users on this board provide, I want to know what I should expect first off and if the Alnico mag is "honky" compared to the -9s Without the specs as I rely on my ears.
    Thanks in advance for any summaries you can give me.

Help guys.

Lou

The LE 5-2 is not the same acoustically as the LE 5-9. They use different voice coils as well. Here is a secret: You can use the 2105 driver as well. It's the same as a LE5-9 and I have a pair in my 4411's I made.

Hey

Sounds great!
    Do you know where to get a pair and what they would cost?
    Thanks for you help on this in advance
    Lou

I got lucky with a pair on this forum, on eBay they tend to be a bit more reasonable because many people don't know where they are used or that they are really 5-9 drivers. The 5-2 drivers seem to fetch the most and considering they are the oldest of the series this seems to explain the interest. I think the 5-9/2105 driver is a better unit. The 104H series are real good but look different and have different charactoristics. They are fairly cheap and easily found on the 'Bay but you have to rework the crossover network to use them.

thanks again man for you help
    Lou

Thread Information