Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z19

Gary L
    If I only had my own way!

Buy an old post and beam barn and use the bottom for my stuff and shop and fix the hay loft for my living space. Speakers would almost have to be in the above forms just to make enough sound to fill the room and I would maintain a rustic look so they would fit right in.
    Ofcourse the wife would move to a Town House and I would be dancing with self.
    I think about the closest I could get to any of these is a nice pair of Altec Magnificents under current arrangements. Somehow, horns just don't have the same appeal for her as they do for me. I can just hear it now "I'M NOT DUSTING THAT CRAP"

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    I can just hear it now "I'M NOT DUSTING THAT CRAP"
    Not required. See first pic immediately above. It's essential to the aesthetic.

Puttin' your initials there is encouraged, but appending the date is considered bad form....

Context, context

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Not required. See first pic immediately above. It's essential to the aesthetic.

Puttin' your initials there is encouraged, but appending the date is considered bad form....
    True for all of us probably, but if GT came by my dungeon and put his monogram in the dust, I'd ask him to date it.

Zilch, I have a pair of 4505 boxes that I have added integral bases to - so inverting the box isn't an option over here. But, ever since the Q&D thread, I have been thinking about doing a really nice two way set-up. You've piqued my curiousity, for sure.

Based on your photo, it kinda looks like that big horn won't clear the cabinet sides and top if I was to carve an opening above the 2235H and try to flush mount it to the baffle - would it?

On second thought maybe I could add an adaptor plate and line up the VC's at the same time...

What are the dimensions of the mouth opening?

. . . . The 2452H-SL drivers have maybe a bit too much "air" presently, but Speakerdave suggests that the 4" Aquaplas'd SL diaphragms get mellower with use. They're playing continuously here to accelerate the break in. Once that's complete, I'll try moving the crossover point down to 800 Hz and roll off the UHF somewhat sooner. . . .
    I'm listening to mine in a pass band of 1.2k to 10.5k, so I may never have heard what you are hearing.

Final impressions will be posted soon in Treble Drivers in 4345 thread.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Based on your photo, it kinda looks like that big horn won't clear the cabinet sides and top if I was to carve an opening above the 2235H and try to flush mount it to the baffle - would it?
    The horizontal width of 22" will just fit; it's the vertical where you've got a problem. There's only 12.25" of space between the top of the cabinet and the woofer edge. 2352 is 18" high; that's much more overhang than feasible to accommodate, I'd say.

The 4430's 2344(A) will fit there, as will PT-H waveguides, and PT-F, of course.

H9800 will fit, and possibly the TOTL horn, and some other Harman Consumer horns....

Thanks Zilch - too bad, it doesn't fit.

FYI: After suffering through your original Q&D thread ! Combined with reading about the new Everest and Project Array products - and finally, being tantalized by Giskard's TOTL appetizer that he has served up thus far, I am itching to try building a JBL SOTA two-way system. No doubt about it, there are some really good reasons to try it.

I was thinking I may be able to circumvent my lack of woodworking skill by somehow using my old 4505 boxes.

I think my best bet is to stay tuned, do some learning, and see what falls out here as a solution for over here. You, Guido, Merlin and Giskard et al, are a great resource to have. Looking forward to hearing more....
    Charles.

P.S. I have 4430's and really enjoy them, I want to try something new so the 2344 is really not an option.

The 4505s are certainly well made and thus a good option for the LF.

If you're not up to springing for the TOTL horns, I'm brewing some other options here, some of them awaiting JBL deliveries.

I've also got to order up parts for GT's filter yet to try them out.

"Staying tuned" may be the best strategy for right now....

If you're not up to springing for the TOTL horns, .
    Maybe I will be, once I know what they are :dont-know

90° x 50° JBL 2381 Optimized Aperture horn will fit.

Johnaec found this horn, used in a few SRII and SRX products.

$94 apiece from JBL Pro Parts.

11" H x 15" W, note similarity to 2352, rear.

Can that 4 dB glitch at 12 kHz be tweaked out? Probably. JBL used DSC260 to EQ 2446J for their response curve.

Do I hear it? Nope.

Dip at 1 kHz is time alignment, easily resolved; that's where I've got it crossed.

Rising DI prompted me to check polar response. It's fine in the horizontal center 60° at the high end....
    Attached Images Attached Images      

RIP 2009
    Thanks for running the curve, Zilch. As an aside - I'll be using these for a small PA system, using the 2381 with the 2447J driver, and 2226H 15" LF, similar to this: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/S...er/sp215-9.pdf

I'd initially started out with 2380A horns and 2446J drivers, but traded for the 2381/2447 combo, since I'm shooting for the smallest cabinets possible, (vocals). 'Worked out best for both of us.

John

Cool, John. I hadn't found that product. There's the actual polars on the horn, then.

Here's the tech sheet:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sou.../SP215-9WH.pdf

Another handsome precendent:

Re: Another handsome precendent

I thought of you when I first saw the Jubilee posts over at the Klipsch forum... it is an active two-way with all of the necessary EQ to squeak out enough top end.

I applaud the effort, I am sure they are really something to behold. They are approaching a new low in WAF and I doubt they are sonically audio nirvana for all, but I know it would be a real kick in the pants to give them an audition.

Widget

JBL 4645
    There is nothing sexier then to see a few JBL cinema loudspeakers in the early hours of the morning believe me, you are the luckiest man alive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information