Thread: The Scott gear demo

The Scott gear demo

GODDAMNIT!

That stuff sounds good

OK, So tonite armed with MANY Vodka Tonics I hooked up the HH Scott 208 tube power amp and the HH Scott 355 Tube Pre-Amp and dragged my JBL L-100s outta the bedroom and into the front room.

I first ran the used Thorens 145C I bought last week thru the phono stage which sounded GREAT for 5 minutes until a ground issue developed then the whole thing just buzzed. Next I ran a crappy CD player thru the "Extra" stage blasting the Style Council and MY GOOD it sounded GREAT!

It does not have the full definition and presence the Mcintosh MC75s do or the Fisher 500C BUT it sounds pretty damn good and the depth and precense are almost comparable. I found the Bass a bit muddy and The lack of power is noticable but not bad. If I did not know any better and did not want to spend the money to achive that kind of tube greatness I would totally rock this set-up.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

I know a lot of people like the 500C and Stereophile gave it a pretty good review but a lot of people don't like it and prefer the Fisher 400 as I do.
    If you think there's a lack of power with the 208 yet the 500C is OK then I'd suspect that the 208 has a low and sagging B+ supply at the very least. Frankly I'd expect the 208 to sound better in some areas. Comparing vintage electronics is a crap shoot unless you know all the units being compared are up to spec so you can easily be fooled as to which is really better.

The more I am playing this (And now I am sober) It is sounding really really good. I may try taking the 500C off the Paragon and try this rig.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Thread Information