Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tower Records and 4412's

riker1384

Tower Records and 4412's

I don't know about you guys, but my local Tower Records has a bunch of 4412's on the wall. It looks like all of them have bad foam and they've been playing them that way. Since they're closing, I've had this idea about asking if they want to sell a pair and was wondering a few things.

Is it a good idea? Are they likely to need reconing rather than just foam since they've been running with the foam falling apart? Are there any other things that will need work? What would be a decent price for these things? I don't have all that much to spend.

DRAT! I forgot about that.

My local Tower has about 6 pair hanging from the ceiling.

Time to mosey on over there, I'd say.

If they're still playing, refoam should do it until you can afford full recones.

Try to get them for $200 a pair or less.

$200 per pair is good

Even if they need recones, it seems like $200 for a pair would be a steal. The 4412 is an excellent speaker/monitor. I need to check the Tower store in Phoenix. For $200, I could use another two pair. But then again, I counted my speakers today and have 24 pairs already. Maybe that is enough.

Nahhh. Only three pairs are JBL's. That is not enough.

Jack - take your hands off of my stash!

I will go to Tower Records in Phoenix and if they have any, I will buy them.

But only to re-sell, of course! Now maybe if I was rescuing a pair of VOTTS, that would be a whole other story.

-Storm

Damnit!

No Tower Records anywhere near me ...nearest is an 8 hour drive away...
    Paying debt to Karma...

4412s are renowned Valencia killers.

[Especially if you STACK 'em.... ]

No speaker can kill my Valencias!

-Storm

4412s are Valencia killers.

[Especially if you STACK 'em.... ]
    Wow Zilch, how many times have I read your posts where you said only one pair at a time, or something like that. However, I agree with your opening line. They are that good, aren't they? But the DIY 4430's are so much better. Thanks again for all your help with my pair.

No speaker can kill my Valencias!
    Storm, don't count on that. If you haven't heard 4412's, you are missing something. And the DIY 4430's are what makes me think about selling a pair of Valencias. Makes me wonder how good factory 4430's would sound.

why , why , why

the 4412's driver load is not really unique or spectacular ? so WHY do they sound so good ?

The cabinets are standard , so my WAG is that the dividing network must be stellar ?? have I missed somwthing here ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

My Tower Records has Blose systems all over the store. The only thing that could be kind of cool are the two big, loooong Bloze "Tube Cannon Woofers" they have hanging.

BTW, the one near me is even selling the fixtures. The CD racks are going for $35 a pop and the listening stations are at $50.

(You think they would sell me one of the employees...?)

Tower on Howe Ave. in Sacramento has M&K stuff. There is a Tower on El Camino in I believe Palo Alto or Mtn. View. I've only been there once and I don't remember what they had for speakers. May be worth a trip for a South Bay forum member.

Quote Originally Posted by jackgiff View Post
    Wow Zilch, how many times have I read your posts where you said only one pair at a time, or something like that.
    J/K, of course.

[Storm KNOWS better than to stack.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The 4412's driver load is not really unique or spectacular ? so WHY do they sound so good?
    Some combinations just work.

They're a little "dry" sounding in my view; 4410s are a tad warmer. Still my favorite bookshelf, tho....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    They're a little "dry" sounding in my view; 4410s are a tad warmer. Still my favorite bookshelf, tho....
    I am now running both..4412s for mains and 4410's for rears and I wud rate them just the opposite. The 10s are a little "clinical" while the 12s are just about perfect for my taste , seem warmer.

A question for Zilch...

I looked over the specs on 4411 and 4412 b4 I started to persue the 12s. Same box , same LF, different MF and HF. 12 has a little wider range.

So why did they produce 2 models so similar ? Was there a big price difference ? Were sales similar ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by riker1384 View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but my local Tower Records has a bunch of 4412's on the wall. It looks like all of them have bad foam and they've been playing them that way. Since they're closing, I've had this idea about asking if they want to sell a pair and was wondering a few things.

Is it a good idea? Are they likely to need reconing rather than just foam since they've been running with the foam falling apart? Are there any other things that will need work? What would be a decent price for these things? I don't have all that much to spend.

Such things are property of the Bankruptcy Estate. I would imagine some plan is already in place to liquidate the store fixtures. After the inventory is liquidated, the fixtures and equipment will be pulled together for bulk sales. It is not likely that the on-site personnel have any authority to sell off the property. Never know, though.
    DavidF

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I am now running both..4412s for mains and 4410's for rears and I wud rate them just the opposite. The 10s are a little "clinical" while the 12s are just about perfect for my taste , seem warmer.

A question for Zilch...

I looked over the specs on 4411 and 4412 b4 I started to persue the 12s. Same box , same LF, different MF and HF. 12 has a little wider range.

So why did they produce 2 models so similar ? Was there a big price difference ? Were sales similar ?
    The 4411 has a better crossover, better filters on the midrange adn hi freq. drivers. I don't think the 4412 had much on the LF either for a crossover

Thread Information