Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Altec 820A Corner horn??

Altec 820A Corner horn??

Does anyone know where I can get a working set of plans for this corner horn? I am also looking for the freq. range of this unit. I have the original brochure but I am looking for the real feel info.

Thanks

Dylan----"How To Build Loudspeaker Enclosures" by Davis and Badmaieff has the plans.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is the one I am talking about:

Tom I think this is one the plans are refering to. I also have that set of plans and I have that book. What is the difference in the two this one and the one I show in the other picture. Is there anyone that has currnetly reproduced these? There is one website by a Guy named Scott that says he is building these but he never writes me back when I email. Not much else on the web.

Tom, you beat me to it.

Dylanl, as I recall the 820A used the aluminum H-808 eight cell, 800Hz. aluminum horn with an 802B driver on top. Later versions of the 820 used the H-811 or 811A horn and probably 802C driver.

The demonstration of a pair of 820Cs at the home of an ex-Altec employee was my introduction to "the good stuff" about 20 years ago. They really blew my mind, as I had no idea at the time that speakers could sound that good.

Dylanl, I think the pair in your picture are 820A systems, as they have the H-808 horns. I believe the cabinets are the 821A described in the brochure you posted, with front grills removed.

SO they always had that divider? I dont know these just look a little different. Any other clarification or know where I can get working plans?

The other side of the brochure looks a little different also, See they show no seperation??

Dylanl, do you mean the horizontal board separating the two woofers? I think they all had that. Whoever did that drawing probably didn't have a picture of the cabinet with the grille removed, as the artist seems fairly clueless. It reminds me of the drawing of John Hilliard's home system in the book by Badmaieff and Davis, where the artist apparently had nothing to go on and drew the 802 high frequency driver as square!

These 820 cabinets are really striking in person. They are large and look even larger. They are graceful and elegant at the same time, with fine features and proportion. Altec never had many beautiful cabinets like JBL did, but someone did a nice job on the 820.

I think you are right here is a shot from the back.

I have an Altec price list from October 1, 1952. The complete 820A system listed at $525. The 821A cabinet by itself was $285., and a version of the cabinet described as "frame only" was $99. The latter was probably for built in installations.

So as a DIY on this project the only thing I have to go with is what I already have?

If so would there be a better LF driver to use than the ones described?

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    should be able to use any of the ALtec woofs, right?

just make sure the mounting holes line up with the ones on the woofer frame.....

I am partial to 515Bs, but they are expensive lately from what I have seen sell....

I got lucky, traded up to the ones I have from a single 2225H

in my home now, I have a pair of 816A cabinets "stacked" on top of a pair of 825 clone cabinets; topped with 802Gs on a 511B horn....

I am guessing that a system like this would be pretty simmilar? maybe appearance of less low end due to losing the rephlex/ports portion of the 825/816a box?

sure as hell looks alot nicer....

Why do you want to build those anyway Dylan? I'm a'thinkin' they would have pretty bad bass, perhaps even worse than LaScalas.

They do look nice but I don't think they'd perform very well, especially on a size to f3 basis.

With some big subs, yeah.

I was thinking just the opposite. I thought this design would have superior bass. I am looking to build a no compromise horn set up full range. I want something better than the Khorns I have. Bass and midrange are the most important.

I really have no clue how these would sound but with 2 ~15" woofers you would think the bass should be good. But you may be right these may fall like a brick under 40 hz.

Thread Information