Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Aftermarket Replacement Diaphragms

OF course...

JBL did them with the correct parts and procedures!!!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    The diaphragms seem to be good in the eBay 2435HPLs.

The pair I sent back to the factory just needed gap cleaning and ferrofluid recharge.

They returned to me almost perfectly matched when Mr. Widget remeasured them.

[Gotta love JBL for doing that.... ]
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I don't care about off brand diaphragms. Someday I may, but as of now I've no experience with them. I just dislike faulty logic. Tell me something is no good, but don't use an example to prove it that doesn't prove it.
    Ah, now that is more clear, to me!

I think the point was, the replacement diaphragms are not made to the exacting specifications of the OEM - otherwise they would be too expensive and not offer a "cheaper alternative". That said, they will "fit" and will "work" but they give nothing like the reponse characteristic of the OEM part. Whether that is of concern, or is audible, is up to the user. However, if it is not either, than you could save money from the outset and buy cheaper cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I even got jumped on for a double negetive by someone who didn't take the time to realize it changed the logic. And I make so many mistakes you'd think someone wouldn't make one up.
    That would be me, and, the blame is lame. I did, in-fact, read and re-read the post. As in my reply, I said the double-negative is tedious to THIS reader - and, IMO runs the risk of obfuscating your point. I didn't make anything up. Maybe your old style of run-on-paragraphs is part cause of the issue, but never mind.

Anyway, I've missed most of this thread (and most others... ), in the shop re-cabling the system for NYE!! I wouldn't risk a non-OEM diaphragm and find it very odd someone would, when the OEM parts are available. At your peril, people...

btw - I don't give a hoot about your spelling. It's syntax I go nutz over...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Subjectively I've heard the Radian 475s sounding as good as any 1" compression drivers I've heard; I heard them at Tom Danley's on his Unity horns. He said the Radians tested very well.

On the other hand Radian replacement diaphragms for Altec drivers have now gone up in price (at Parts Express) to where they're as expensive as GPAs so one might as well buy GPA.

Also new 475s are almost as expensive as new 902s from GPA so several weeks ago when I wanted new drivers I bought GPAs.

The thing is this, I'm horn enthusiast not simply an Altec or JBL enthusiast and many horn systems sound very good to me including various EVs, Edgars, Tannoys, Danleys and home-brew systems, Hell, I've even heard Lowthers and Klipsch's I liked. Though I've come to the conclusion that plain old Altecs suit me best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Though I've come to the conclusion that plain old Altecs suit me best.
    It is something how they continue to deliver. It's kinda funny when you hear musical TRUTH on occasion from some "old relic".

Not that the earth will cease to rotate if I never know, but what are the basic properties of either pure beryllium or whatever mixture they use for diaphragms if it's not pure. I know they have alloyed it with copper for years to make sparkless tools for use in certain environments, and I had a cartridge with a cantilever made of it. I was under the impression that it was a hard stiff crystalline substance, but that hardly seems what you would make diaphragms of.

If all of the aftermarket diaphragms currently being made are made to a price and inferior to JBL's, perhaps if JBL quit producing them, a hole would open up for what JBL had been producing and Im sure that they are not the only ones with the technology to produce this product. If you really like a companys diaphragms, when you need drivers you might check them out. I doubt that this thought has been missed by JBL. There are many ways to lose customers. I'm not knocking them in any way. I'm just not buying into the idea that they support these relics as a favor to me.

Anybody catch any of the discriptions of sound coming from Fischer's C55? They talked about it just as I have experienced the C55. You can say no bottom end but you put that or a pair of them in a room in a house and you get people talking about a bottom end they had never heard before. Every time you read about someones experience with it. I'm not making crazy claims about how low it goes. I just know it is an experience.

Thread Information