Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Replacement Diaphragms

Obsolete

Aftermarket replacement beryllium diaphragms

It will be interesting to see if someone can source a decent aftermarket beryllium replacement diaphragm for use in the 4-inch bodies that can approximate the performance of the 476Be.

While the 476Be hardware (core) is unique, it is possible to take advantage of the 476Be software (diaphragm/cone assembly) by installing said software into other four inch bodies. The results won't be identical to a true 476Be but some may find the results satisfactory for their intended applications. I suspect the 476Be diaphragms will run $3,000 to $4,000 a pair. However, be aware that current practice at JBL Consumer is to simply replace the whole unit as opposed to just the software. For instance, if an Everest II owner blows a 1501AL or 476Be, JBL replaces the entire transducer. In fact, just a few weeks ago a pallet of 476Be's left for Japan as part of that philosophy (Given the build quality of the 476Be I suspect the drivers on that pallet will remain on a shelf unused for years and years). Whole drivers, not diaphragms. In other words, the diaphragms may possibly never be available separately.

Maron Horonzakz
    The 476be is late in coming & should have been here 15 years ago.. TAD has been enjoying the spoils of be for a long time....now its JBLs time to turn the tables....We will see what trickle down baby Everest styles will be designed for us lowlife Us buyers.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    The 476be is late in coming & should have been here 15 years ago.. TAD has been enjoying the spoils of be for a long time....now its JBLs time to turn the tables....We will see what trickle down baby Everest styles will be designed for us lowlife Us buyers.
    TAD developed the beryllium compression driver way back in 1975 when JBL was building large format 43xx Studio Monitors. To this day TAD isn't even a blip on JBL's radar. I do know that the JBL beryllium diaphragm is designed to be reasonably safe while the TAD diaphragms are "handle at your own risk". TAD is generally known as "a step above". I would be highly surprised to find people on a TAD forum discussing aftermarket diaphragms for their beloved TAD compression drivers.

"I would be highly surprised to find people on a TAD forum discussing aftermarket diaphragms for their beloved TAD compression drivers."

Don't be. Just the other day I saw a discussion in which some people said they favored the sound of Radian diaphragms in 4001s.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    "I would be highly surprised to find people on a TAD forum discussing aftermarket diaphragms for their beloved TAD compression drivers."

Don't be. Just the other day I saw a discussion in which some people said they favored the sound of Radian diaphragms in 4001s.
    Wonders never cease. One more reason not to bother with the original designs.

I will admit that soon this will be a moot point and that aftermarket parts will be the only alternative.
    It's been said a few times already, "Harman has very little interest in maintaining 30 year old product".

Maron Horonzakz
    Go figure??? Its hard to tel what people hear....I too like the bandwith limitation of aluminum....It will be interesting to hear the Everest II at the CES.....One step forward two steps back

Maron Horonzakz
    Radian last year introduced the 950 5 slit driver with the Radian replacement vc/diaphram....They claim it to be the TAD killer....Yeh right.

If someone buys empty beater 4001's on ebay and realizes too late that he's not REALLY going to spring for new TAD diaphragms, he will "prefer" Radian aluminum replacements.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    If someone buys empty beater 4001's on ebay and realizes too late that he's not REALLY going to spring for new TAD diaphragms, he will "prefer" Radian aluminum replacements.

David

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post

David

Ididn't think the statment "there is only one reason to use a non jbl---- could stand because for good or for bad there are other reasons.

I think that anyone who says that the red seals prove that you should only use JBL parts is, well I really couldn't think of a proper descriptor.

I think that whethor or not JBL wants me to use other peoples parts is irrelevant. Allen Bradley doesn't want me to use any body elses parts and about them I say "you can buy better but you can't pay more"

I believe that no matter how many other companies parts you have tried it doesn't mean that it is impossible for someone else to make parts as good and if JBL makes an improvement at a later date then someone could actually have made it better.

At the begining of all of this I saw nothing regarding economy or price although I'm sure that may be the most common reason one would switch.

Having said all this I've never tried an after market diaphragm and probably won't but it won't be because JBL doesn't want me to. They don't consult me before dropping models and I'm sure not on their Christmas list.

So, you ask, where is faulty logic? Look back through this thread and you will see "You sholdn't use after market diaphragms because ----" and the because doesn't prove anything. It might as well be "because my mother doesn't want you to"

I even got jumped on for a double negetive by someone who didn't take the time to realize it changed the logic. And I make so many mistakes you'd think someone wouldn't make one up.

I had no idea that asking for evidence or correctness (no I'm not claiming to do better) would be so controversial.

Actually I've seen TADs that were supposed to be in good shape for less than radian tad replacements. They are expensive.

But, Radian doesn't claim to be an economy replacement. That may be what they are, but they speak of their exclusive surround and such.

I've also heard the same said of 2001's.

I suppose the error of judgement was not buying a JBL driver in the first place.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    But, Radian doesn't claim to be an economy replacement. That may be what they are, but they speak of their exclusive surround and such.
    They have to put food on the table too. Buy a pair of their diaphragms and help their cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I think that anyone who says that the red seals prove that you should only use JBL parts is, well I really couldn't think of a proper descriptor.
    The red wax seals are desirable to collectors. Without those seals it's harder to prove that some shyster isn't trying to sell you a nice JBL core with an aftermarket diaphragm in it.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I suppose the error of judgement was not buying a JBL driver in the first place.
    No joke! Rumor is these guys are buying 2435HPL's off eBay for dirt cheap and then getting JBL to repair them to like new condition under warranty. Poor JBL... those Be diaphragms aren't cheap!

The diaphragms seem to be good in the eBay 2435HPLs.

The pair I sent back to the factory just needed gap cleaning and ferrofluid recharge.

They returned to me almost perfectly matched when Mr. Widget remeasured them.

[Gotta love JBL for doing that.... ]

Thread Information