Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Replacement Diaphragms

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Neither does most everyone here.

I gotta wonder then, why did you post, at-all...? Some altruistic pursuit of benevolence toward non-JBL diaphragms? That, and the double-negatives ("I believe this is impossible to prove untrue...") are tedious to this reader.
    I don't care about off brand diaphragms. Someday I may, but as of now I've no experience with them. I just dislike faulty logic. Tell me something is no good, but don't use an example to prove it that doesn't prove it. As for double negatives if I took the negatives out (possible to prove true) the meaning would be changed. I could have said impossible to prove false, but is that any more correct?

It's interesting that their are persons on this thread who are sticking up for other diaphragms (I have no idea if they are right or wrong) and it's me that seems to be being piled on (unless I'm paranoid ) and all I've done is asked for more than "because I said so". and for the reason that this discussion has dug up so much emotion.

As far as JBL having a philosophy of only using genuine JBL parts. You would be hard pressed to find a manufacturer that doesn't have a simular philosiphy. I imagine they have a philosophy against using other peoples drivers and horns and any thing else they make. Wouldn't you? I'm not knocking this I'm just saying that by itself is hardly proof that theirs are better. There may be proof but that isn't it.

as for my spelling, I thought we figured out I couldn't spell a while back. I'd use word and then paste but I quit being able to paste from word a while back and if there is a spellcheck to this I'm unaware of it.

This is really quite simple. Those who want genuine JBL diaphragms to continue to be available are obliged to discourage the use of alternatives, as that practice will hasten the eventuality of their no longer being so....

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    as for my spelling, I thought we figured out I couldn't spell a while back. I'd use word and then paste but I quit being able to paste from word a while back and if there is a spellcheck to this I'm unaware of it.
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...7014#post97014

Thanks I'll see how it works. I imagine that JBL's motive to continue to service discontinued drivers is the same as any manufacturer with a large installed customer base. If hundreds or perhaps more of pro sound companys all of a sudden had to start replacing JBL drivers because they were no longer serviceable, JBL would probably be way down on their list of prospective venders. The thing to probably watch for is when some companys are trying to get a product out of the field and they don't dare quit servicing it they start making it more and more expensive to keep it running. Hopefully that won't happen.

Next time I see faulty logic being used to prove something, I may very well post again. I'm not saying I never do it but never knowingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    This is really quite simple. Those who want genuine JBL diaphragms to continue to be available are obliged to discourage the use of alternatives, as that practice will hasten the eventuality of their no longer being so....
    It would be fun to run a Poll on whether the Hoards of Lansing thought Lord Zilchvonucurvea could tell, hear or measure the difference if aftermarket diaphragms were secretly swapped on his beloved diy specials by DRG on Xmas Eve.

Heh.

Zilch has asked Santa to Aquaplas ALL of his diaphragms already....

Heh.

Zilch has asked Santa to Aquaplas ALL of his diaphragms....
    Just what is this and what are it's properties

Just what is this and what are it's properties
    Try using Search.

While that is an excellent point, it never entered into my thinking...

I always give advice and make recommendations based on my personal goal of attempting to achieve the highest performance possible for a given driver, design, system or what have you... I do regularly run into a situation where the recipient of the advice would prefer the quickest, easiest or least expensive way to get respectable performance... I almost never think in these terms unless I am specifically asked. I am not trying to be a snob about it... I was just brought up with the notion that it is better to have less, but have the best quality you can afford instead of a lot of stuff that is second rate. Unfortunately here in America it seems we are going further and further away from that... some call it the Walmartization of America.

Widget

Bed time you guys.

Obsolete
    I just dislike faulty logic.
    Where did anyone use faulty logic?
    It's interesting that their are persons on this thread who are sticking up for other diaphragms (I have no idea if they are right or wrong) and it's me that seems to be being piled on (unless I'm paranoid ) and all I've done is asked for more than "because I said so". and for the reason that this discussion has dug up so much emotion.
    I think you're being "piled" on because you're driving the dialogue.
    As far as JBL having a philosophy of only using genuine JBL parts. You would be hard pressed to find a manufacturer that doesn't have a simular philosiphy. I imagine they have a philosophy against using other peoples drivers and horns and any thing else they make. Wouldn't you? I'm not knocking this I'm just saying that by itself is hardly proof that theirs are better. There may be proof but that isn't it.
    You aren't taking into account system design. JBL has a propensity for developing complete systems. Read the attached Everest II White Paper for an example of total system design. Feel free to replace the diaphragm in the 476Be with whatever aftermarket diaphragm you wish.
    There is a post somewhere by Don about installing a Spell Checker. I find it's easier to simply type the whole mess up in Word and then cut and paste.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obsolete
    Heh.

Zilch has asked Santa to Aquaplas ALL of his diaphragms already....
    When? Send them to me and I'll do them for you.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    It would be fun to run a Poll on whether the Hoards of Lansing thought Lord Zilchvonucurvea could tell, hear or measure the difference if aftermarket diaphragms were secretly swapped on his beloved diy specials
    During a recent conversation with JBL it was decided that alot of these guys wouldn't be able to hear the difference.

Obsolete
    You've been reading my posts over the years haven't you...

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    I'm not so sure the claim is that there's no difference so much as that Radians and such can sound good and work well.

On the other hand a Radian aluminum could very well sound better than a JBL titanium depending on one's preference.
    Possibly. Hence my original statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    I'm sure there are several forum members who will step forward and provide whatever data someone might feel is necessary.
    People should feel free to post their graphs of PWT measurements as well as subjective analysis for a variety of solutions.

Thread Information