Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Replacement Diaphragms

How many manufactures use wax seal's on their drivers? Why are wax seals used? I am not very talented when it comes to speaker replacement or crossover design but I will always replace a JBL part with A JBL part.

I remember long ago when I had a set of JBL speakers don't know the model but it had a 15" woofer and a bullet tweeter and what amazed me was the tweeter,I could never figure out how sound came out of that thing.

I had a bad woofer and didn't even know at that time that you could refoam or recone speakers. I decided to put a new woofer from Radio Shack in that big hole and guess what I made a perfect pair of JBL speakers sound like a pair of Radio Shack speakers.

I might not have the knowledge of most people here but I can tell you that the true JBL sound comes only from JBL design and parts. Let's face it ,you get what you pay for.

I'm just wondering about all these replacement parts lasting half as long as JBL parts. I wonder why JBL'S cost so much used or new, I wonder why people are willing to pay the price for JBL'S used or new, I only wonder if it has to do with quality??

in about 50 minutes you can buy some 044ti w/some small boxes and 115 attached. Just go over pay the price on ebay. He is looking for 500 on audiogon and its "only" 350 currently, guessing to go at 425+ .

There is a set 250ti on audiogon for 1650 plus the recone of a 104. buy and part out??? not very good options to get a 44, been looking for almost a year myself...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    in about 50 minutes you can buy some 044ti w/some small boxes and 115 attached. Just go over pay the price on ebay. He is looking for 500 on audiogon and its "only" 350 currently, guessing to go at 425+ .

There is a set 250ti on audiogon for 1650 plus the recone of a 104. buy and part out??? not very good options to get a 44, been looking for almost a year myself...

Mark
    Mark,

I see your point, I was hoping for new JBL replacements (especially at those prices).
    Paying debt to Karma...

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    In my 18+ years as an Authorized JBL Service Agency, never have I found aftermarket parts that are as good as the JBL Factory designed/assembled/sourced parts. I'm a professional...and a casuals working musician that knows what to expect from my JBL's...and yours. The imitations have never gotten it right....close just isn't good enough...in sound and particularly reliability.

The usual reason for using aftermarket parts for JBL tranducers is an economic one....and it certainly isn't a crime. I think I've stated that before.

However....when one gets into the debate of the merits of JBL vs. Aftermarket parts on this site that was dedicated to being purist of the Lansing breed, you have to expect a backlash from the purist camp.
    Simply stated... the aftermarkets aren't equivalent to factory parts.

I will sell you aftermarket parts if that's what you are willing to pay for...but I will also give you the caveat of diminished performance.

To each his own...but please don't include aftermarket and genuine JBL parts in the same league....because they aren't.

Resuspending low frequency drivers is a whole 'nother discussion
    Edge, that is a great post. Thanks for chiming-in with reality from the trenches. You and Giskard and few others see more of these cores than anyone, and know the flaws in trying non OEM parts.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    I've always been puzzled by aftermarket diaphragms. My picture of them is that they are needed by bands who use Behringer electronics, and such, and throw microphones. For high fidelity where a new diaphragm may be needed every 15 or twenty years the idea (that cheaper is OK...[ed]) is ridiculous.
    And another. Bada-bing, bada-boom.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

and it's "Hari-kiri", or "hari-kari", or "seppuku"

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    If one were to follow your logic to it's end a TAD could never equal let alone be better than a JBL, and while I don't Know if it does or it doesn't I do know that many forum members believe they are better.
    This completely misses the point. The thread is about putting replacement, non-JBL diaphragms into JBL cores as a money-saving route and believing there is no sonic difference.

The discussions about TAD here, have been with respect to using the entire driver in-place of the JBL original - the TAD core, TAD diaphragm, etc as built from factory.

Keep your finger by the script - you won't get confused, or saddened...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Im forwarding the contents of this entire forum to Hollywood!

I dont know if they should make a soap opera or a sitcom out of the material.

WTF does that have anything to do with the thread?
    Have keyboard, will post?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Edge, that is a great post. Thanks for chiming-in with reality from the trenches. You and Giskard and few others see more of these cores than anyone, and know the flaws in trying non OEM parts.

And another. Bada-bing, bada-boom.
    I like this one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Somehow the human element is overlooked. Giskard makes the effort to close the cost gap between the JBL diaphragms and the others, which for good reason he eschews, and discussion about their viability is bound to grate.
    Yep. It's back to "private forums only" for me where we can mingle posts with phone calls and actually get things done without all the background chatter. The only point to this forum is to share documents and data. The chatter crap and idiotic posts are better served someplace else like AK or AA. I find that if I don't read these public forums the problems cease to exist, the day turns out great, and that's a good thing.

Actually the point may be different for different posters. Where I originally jumped in was where Giskard said "the only reason for using a non JBL diaphragm is if the original part is not available period" forgive me if I failed to see anything about economics, or cheaper, or saving money inthat post. I replied that this was false. Whether he agreed with it or not there were other reasons for using a non JBL part. I believe this is impossible to prove untrue. One reason might be that someone likes the sound better. I don't know of any such case but if you think this is impossible how did Dr. Bose make so much money. He didn't make it by selling diaphragms I'm sure you're going to say. No, he made it by outdoing mr. Barnum of a previous century. Things went downhill from there. To clarify a previous statement the "brother inlaw" refrence in an earlier post was refering to one possible way deep discounts might be available. I was not suggesting that someone had staked out a position out of self intrest. I'll asume motives are pure. Another that didn't get understood is at least one manufacturer list the same part number to fit several drivers. These drivers (both Altec and JBL if I'm not mistaken) are not known for having interchangable diaphragms. although the ones I am thinking of are all 1.75 VC. I think the discount idea is way coool (did I say that) but if the only time you ever find out about things like that is when they are discontinued then defacto they never existed. I know I send out some posts that I shouldn't but many times I write a fairly lengthy post and upon re-reading it I realize that if I don't post it the earth will most likely continue to rotate and I delete so excepte except for those of you still holding on to the flat earth theory that is something to consider.
    I suggest posting using paragraphs. It's easier to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    I like this one too.
    Yep. It's back to "private forums only" for me where we can mingle posts with phone calls and actually get things done without all the background chatter. The only point to this forum is to share documents and data. The chatter crap and idiotic posts are better served someplace else like AK or AA. I find that if I don't read these public forums the problems cease to exist, the day turns out great, and that's a good thing.
    Giskard, I get your point, it is for the very same reasons that I now abstain from my local VW car club forums.

More on topic, any chance you know of a source for 044Ti, 116H-1 or 104H diapharams (selfish again, I know)?

Maybe I should just buck up and buy something newer with better parts support . Those LSR32 look nice...
    Paying debt to Karma...

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    I suggest posting using paragraphs. It's easier to read.
    Excellent advice.

Thom, aren't you through yet? I think we have pretty well beaten this topic and a couple of ancillary ones well to death.

If you want, start a new thread and we can bash or praise Bose there.

Widget

...One reason might be that someone likes the sound better. I don't know of any such case...
    Neither does most everyone here.

I gotta wonder then, why did you post, at-all...? Some altruistic pursuit of benevolence toward non-JBL diaphragms? That, and the double-negatives ("I believe this is impossible to prove untrue...") are tedious to this reader.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post
    More on topic, any chance you know of a source for 044Ti, 116H-1 or 104H diapharams (selfish again, I know)?
    I may have one pair of D8R044Ti's on the shelf. I'm finally sold out of all of those drivers and replacement parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    I like this one too.
    Muhhahahah, spoken like a true American, I mean a Yank!

Actually, I find I get one freaking hell of a lot more done (for other members) and every day is a great day without neither ( public, private and venting forums) , and that's a goofy thing. .

The pm's are however quite useful for discussing specifics and sharing ideas and projects. Probably why I get so many.

"This completely misses the point. The thread is about putting replacement, non-JBL diaphragms into JBL cores as a money-saving route and believing there is no sonic difference. "

I'm not so sure the claim is that there's no difference so much as that Radians and such can sound good and work well.

On the other hand a Radian aluminum could very well sound better than a JBL titanium depending on one's preference.

Faulkner got a pulitzer, and I'm surprised there are any comas left for the rest of us, after all of the ones he used, in his sentences that ran for pages, but one should write for their audience so I'll see what I can do.

There are have medications for that and records are confidential. You'll be a lot happier.
    There are have?? Nuff said.
    p.s. pulitzer with a capital P, and I don't know if he left enough comas, (as in, I'm in one) but he surely left enough commas...... (not like Kohoutek)

Thread Information