Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Replacement Diaphragms

Some of you guys are kind'a obsessive about all this and it seems a bit snobby. I had a set of 2420s with Radians that were properly installed by a tech, "bumped in" and they worked and sounded fine and sounded better to me than brand new 2427s I had at the time. And I saved a few bucks.

There are scads of these compression drivers around, they're all over the place. I've been given the things, they're not family heirlooms nor Holy Relics. They're machines, that's all. Better to have them working with Radians than being useless lumps sitting on a shelf.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    It's quite possible that there has never been an after market part as good as an original JBL part, I really dont know, I'm sure there are plenty after market parts that are inferior. Especialy when they are being built to a price. But, the idea that there could never be a part not made by JBL that would sound as well or better in their driver has to be rejected in theory. If one were to follow your logic to it's end a TAD could never equal let alone be better than a JBL, and while I don't Know if it does or it doesn't I do know that many forum members believe they are better. The fact that you have reacted in this way saddens me. I never was aware that they were available. I understand that it's your football but I think all of this "It's my football an I'm going to take it and go home" is rather unbecoming. You probably bring an awful lot to the table (I'm afraid that I'm not entirely sure of your position but I pick up on things enough to relize that you are pretty important and since I'm not very good at being politic, even when I'm trying to, I may be committing some form of Hiri Kiri. You probably feel put upon and taken advantage of a bit and it may be so but I keep getting the feeling that if I just look up I may see Charlton Heston with a couple of stone tablets under his arm. In short it seems to me to make more sense to say "you shouldn't use aftermarket parts because : 1.
    and so on after all everybody who ever made a device with parts that wear out has said that you should only use theirs. I hope you didn't use my earlier post as one indicating that after market parts are as good as JBL because I would only say that if I knew it to be true and I don't all I did was take exception to your statement which had less chance of being right than a test question with always or never in it. I for one will miss the oppurtunity that I never Knew I had. Unfortunatly I don't have a football of my own to save the day with.
    Good grief some of you guys are beyond tiresome. Go here and fill up the shopping cart:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsdiaphragms.html

You can get diaphragms all over the Internet. I just don't need to hear about it anymore and that's a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Some of you guys are kind'a obsessive about all this and it seems a bit snobby. I had a set of 2420s with Radians that were properly installed by a tech, "bumped in" and they worked and sounded fine and sounded better to me than brand new 2427s I had at the time. And I saved a few bucks.

There are scads of these compression drivers around, they're all over the place. I've been given the things, they're not family heirlooms nor Holy Relics. They're machines, that's all. Better to have them working with Radians than being useless lumps sitting on a shelf.
    That's the long and short of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Good grief some of you guys are beyond tiresome. Go here and fill up the shopping cart:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsdiaphragms.html
    I just ordered 2 pcs of everything on their site. Never know what could be needed in the future.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I just ordered 2 pcs of everything on their site. Never know what could be needed in the future.
    Outstanding! They could be out of stock when you actually need them but with your proactive solution you've just circumvented that possibility.

Gary L
    I don't know what I have missed here but it has always been my feeling if you have a JBL L-300 and you reload it with say EV or Eminence drivers, you can't call it a JBL L 300 any more.

I have to totally agree with Giskard here so I will check back after I finish putting this Pinto Engine in my Beemer.

Gary

"after I finish putting this Pinto Engine in my Beemer"

That would make it more reliable.

But yeah Gary, if you want to keep a specific speaker going, an L-300 as you say, then you want to use exact replacement parts. But if you have some old compression drivers laying around and just want to get them working and working well then Radians will do the trick.

To accept compromises depending on the application, I think that's reasonable

"after I finish putting this Pinto Engine in my Beemer"

That would make it more reliable.
    Nah, still got the Beemer computer and related electronics -
    I swear, I think they bought the leftover spares from Lucas!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Maron Horonzakz
    BMW could give away there heaps & just make a bigger profit in parts....$300. plus install... for a wiper motor? jeeeeez!!!

Gary L
    The point still remains, Are you upgrading your "Machine" or slapping a band-aid into it.
    The purists among us, me being one of them, will always fall on the side of keeping things real and stock.
    Someone above mentioned the fact that these are infact yours and you can do what ever you like with them. I have some of my own opinions there but they will remain in the dark for the purpose of this discussion.

I don't own a piece of JBL equipment but plenty of Altec. I have a couple of Radian diaphragms that came in drivers from ebay. If I ever have an altec one burn out I would use these to hold me over until GPA gets a new one at twice the price to me. Remember too that with altec drivers the switch is simple and no brain surgery or allignments are necessary.

I guess the real question is two fold. Why bother buying, keeping or accepting JBL gear if you have no intention of maintaining it with correct parts. Secondly, why bother comming to the Lansing Heritage site where the entire purpose is in maintaining the sonic purity and history of JBL and Lansing products and posting about some aftermarket less expensive and unproven part.

No one said you can't but more then a few think it is pretty foolish! YMMV

Gary

To accept compromises depending on the application, I think that's reasonable...
    Absolutely, however your statement, "I had a set of 2420s with Radians that were properly installed by a tech, "bumped in" and they worked and sounded fine and sounded better to me than brand new 2427s I had at the time." May lead a novice to believe that placing a non spec diaphragm in his driver will be just as good... it won't be. The Pinto engine may be more reliable (doubt it... pick something else) but it absolutely will not perform as well... as the original engine in top shape.

These things may only be machines, but the fact that a rather poor performing machine (by objective standards) like the JBL Paragon commands such a high price is an indication of their value to some people... you may not share that opinion and that is fine.

If you are not particular, or you really know what you are doing you can choose aftermarket diaphragms and make them work for you... one case would be Meyer Sound who took Yamaha drivers and fit them with custom made diaphragms for greater power handling... though with their JBLs they would buy 2445s and toss the stock diaphragms and replace them with JBL sourced 2441 diaphragms... in all cases they remove the locating pins and shim and center every driver's diaphragm by hand while looking at the output on a scope... for the average user, even buying aftermarket Be diaphragms will likely not be a guaranteed improvement. That said, if you are in the "it plays so I am happy camp", then definitely why waste the money... then again why not just buy Eminence to begin with.

Widget

A bit off topic, but last night I was poking around with Google's new patent search and I stumbled on this beryllium diaphragm patent from 1927! It must be the first ever Be diaphragm.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Why bother buying, keeping or accepting JBL gear if you have no intention of maintaining it with correct parts. "

To put it to use.

"Secondly, why bother comming to the Lansing Heritage site where the entire purpose is in maintaining the sonic purity and history of JBL and Lansing products"

I was unaware that you determine what the "entire purpose" of this site is.

Gary L
    I stand corrected Tom, I was quoting this.

Dedicated to the preservation of the heritage and history of the Altec
    Lansing Corporation, and to the supplying of information regarding the use, installation, and upkeep of all Altec Lansing Professional Audio Products.

However it is from another site I visit regularly!

"Why bother buying, keeping or accepting JBL gear if you have no intention of maintaining it with correct parts. "

To put it to use.

"Secondly, why bother comming to the Lansing Heritage site where the entire purpose is in maintaining the sonic purity and history of JBL and Lansing products"

I was unaware that you determine what the "entire purpose" of this site is.

Maron Horonzakz
    Thats not carved in stone, is it?

In my 18+ years as an Authorized JBL Service Agency, never have I found aftermarket parts that are as good as the JBL Factory designed/assembled/sourced parts. I'm a professional...and a casuals working musician that knows what to expect from my JBL's...and yours. The imitations have never gotten it right....close just isn't good enough...in sound and particularly reliability.

The usual reason for using aftermarket parts for JBL tranducers is an economic one....and it certainly isn't a crime. I think I've stated that before.

However....when one gets into the debate of the merits of JBL vs. Aftermarket parts on this site that was dedicated to being purist of the Lansing breed, you have to expect a backlash from the purist camp.
    Simply stated... the aftermarkets aren't equivalent to factory parts.

I will sell you aftermarket parts if that's what you are willing to pay for...but I will also give you the caveat of diminished performance.

To each his own...but please don't include aftermarket and genuine JBL parts in the same league....because they aren't.

Resuspending low frequency drivers is a whole 'nother discussion
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information