Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Replacement Diaphragms

Obsolete

Aftermarket Replacement Diaphragms

Due to recent posts and the interest in aftermarket replacement diaphragms, after six years of doing so, I am no longer sourcing genuine JBL replacement diaphragms at deep discount for forum members. This was one of the perks for members of this forum only and was never once offered outside of this forum. I've been notified that the aftermarket diaphragms work just fine and sound just fine so there is virtually no reason to continue with this perk. I'm sure there are several forum members who will step forward and provide whatever data someone might feel is necessary. I am through with this subject and don't intend to respond further.

Thanks!

Adhering to JBL principles and doctrine...

It seems that since so many believe they can shortcut and use aftermarket diaphrams which goes against JBL's philosophy of using genuine JBL parts.

If you want the best sound JBL intended their products for, then you have to use the correct parts!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Due to recent posts and the interest in aftermarket replacement diaphragms, after six years of doing so, I am no longer sourcing genuine JBL replacement diaphragms at deep discount for forum members.
    Good.

You should only do that sort of things for friends anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    I've been notified that the aftermarket diaphragms work just fine and sound just fine so there is virtually no reason to continue with this perk.
    You and I both know that is BS. As far as I know the best aftermarket diaphragms will play music but do not perform up to the levels of the factory spec'd units sold by JBL... that said, I think the beef others had on the previous thread was that they felt willing to accept that compromise. Personally I find that mindset disappointing. This site is a celebration of the legacy of James Lansing, a man who refused to compromise. He was always pushing the envelope to produce the finest drivers possible. I know that you and I and many others agree with his principals... but they are not universally shared. For some, close is good enough.

Widget

I have always said use JBL parts, period. It guarantees specified performance of your JBL drivers.

However, some people use aftermarket parts because they are less expensive, and possibly for some, the cost is an issue. I dont recommend aftermarket parts, but, I can understand some peoples position on using them.

Some people find certain aftermarket parts to be more durable, not as good sonically, but, in certain PA apps, the user deems this acceptable. Again, I dont support this, but I understand it.

A few people really think certain aftermarket brand parts simply sound better than JBL,s original parts, I dont support this either, but, its their drivers, its their choice.

However, I respect everyones right to make their own choices. I make mine, as well. With my JBL components, I use JBL parts exclusively.
    scottyj

I totally agree using ONLY original JBL parts. That is ... among other statements I have posted before: do NOT re-foam, RE-CONE your drivers with original JBL parts. Re-foaming is a gamble and I am sure some quality is removed doing this.

Funny thing is.....

I suspect that many of those that are too cheap to buy the correct 'frams are the same ones that will spend big $ on botique caps to "upgrade" their XOs......go figure.

Maybe I'm wierd....OK, I AM wierd.....but I won't buy parts from anyone that doesn't publish test data or specs for applicable items, whether it's a 'fram, cap, or whatever. However, if I saw an item I needed with better specs than OEM for less $, I'd sure give it a try.

I can see no valid reason to seek aftermarket components/diaphrams whenever the actual OEM JBL parts are available.

The intial cost for aftermarket items may be less, but in nearly every case something is compromised; be it fit, finish, response, whatever...and in my opinion and observation, the cost of low quality is actually very high. Don't believe me? Just ask Mr. Taguchi about his world famous loss function.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Re-foaming is a gamble and I am sure some quality is removed doing this.
    Interesting point... Bo recently replaced his refoamed 2122s with reconed 2122s and he discovered a major improvement... so yeah, once again it does cost more to do the job correctly, but the difference is real.

Of course if the JBL factory kit is NLA your choices do become rather limited.

Widget

Of course if the JBL factory kit is NLA your choices do become rather limited.

Widget[/quote]I would agree that in some instances where the original is NLA your choices are very narrow, but, its almost 100% certain that what is available as repair/replacement parts are not the same sounding as what original parts were.

And, when you begin encountering this, its time to begin seeking NEW components to fit your needs.
    scottyj

I think the issue is getting them installed by a JBL installer. JBL Parts are therefore no Brainer. I mean watch a home user install a JBL recone kit, it ain't pretty. Therefore selling diaphragms as opposed to installing them is perhaps "Not Best JBL Practise".

Most home users don't do it right and end up with B grade results (after market results anyway)..Go figure!

I am totally on board with this. I would love to refresh the diaphrams on my compression drivers, but until (if and when) I can afford to have it done right with the right parts, I am not going to do it. These great speakers deserve genuine parts. You know how we all vomit when we see a nice pair of classic JBL's or Altecs with Cerwin Vegas installed? This is not so different.

My crossovers are going down the upgrade path using some of the methods Greg Timbers suggested. How soon do you think Greg Timbers will suggest putting aftermarket diaphrams in the DD66000? The phrase over his dead body seems appropriate.

(Edit; Reason, some remarks by others that follow.) Now if something were available that actually was better, we might like that choice even if it were to be more expensive. And certain Harman employees would unofficially recommend it, I think.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

It's quite possible that there has never been an after market part as good as an original JBL part, I really dont know, I'm sure there are plenty after market parts that are inferior. Especialy when they are being built to a price. But, the idea that there could never be a part not made by JBL that would sound as well or better in their driver has to be rejected in theory. If one were to follow your logic to it's end a TAD could never equal let alone be better than a JBL, and while I don't Know if it does or it doesn't I do know that many forum members believe they are better. The fact that you have reacted in this way saddens me. I never was aware that they were available. I understand that it's your football but I think all of this "It's my football an I'm going to take it and go home" is rather unbecoming. You probably bring an awful lot to the table (I'm afraid that I'm not entirely sure of your position but I pick up on things enough to relize that you are pretty important and since I'm not very good at being politic, even when I'm trying to, I may be committing some form of Hiri Kiri. You probably feel put upon and taken advantage of a bit and it may be so but I keep getting the feeling that if I just look up I may see Charlton Heston with a couple of stone tablets under his arm. In short it seems to me to make more sense to say "you shouldn't use aftermarket parts because : 1.
    and so on after all everybody who ever made a device with parts that wear out has said that you should only use theirs. I hope you didn't use my earlier post as one indicating that after market parts are as good as JBL because I would only say that if I knew it to be true and I don't all I did was take exception to your statement which had less chance of being right than a test question with always or never in it. I for one will miss the oppurtunity that I never Knew I had. Unfortunatly I don't have a football of my own to save the day with.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I for one will miss the oppurtunity that I never Knew I had. Unfortunatly I don't have a football of my own to save the day with.
    Hmm....
    What if this forum had a sticky thread called "Who supplies what", or "Who can supply what".

I know that Zilch has blue fabric, Giskard has networks, and sonofagun has foam grills, but thats about it. I didn't realize that Giskard also had diaphragms. What else is out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I understand that it's your football but I think all of this "It's my football an I'm going to take it and go home" is rather unbecoming. Unfortunatly I don't have a football of my own to save the day with.
    Can I ask are you referring to an American football or an Aussie Rules footy (or an Italian football)? Its supposed to be a team sport but they tend to spend a lot of the time getting into trouble on and of the field.

But I've never seen a situation where one guy has it and walks off calling no joy over a bad bounce.

Thanks Giskard

[quote=Giskard;138267]Due to recent posts and the interest in aftermarket replacement diaphragms, after six years of doing so, I am no longer sourcing genuine JBL replacement diaphragms at deep discount for forum members. This was one of the perks for members of this forum only and was never once offered outside of this forum. I've been notified that the aftermarket diaphragms work just fine and sound just fine so there is virtually no reason to continue with this perk. I'm sure there are several forum members who will step forward and provide whatever data someone might feel is necessary. I am through with this subject and don't intend to respond further.

Thanks! [/quote.

Just a thanks for your effort. Many have benefitted.

Thread Information